Procedure For Renewing B Visa In Kl

miltonbentley

Hi All

I have posted this on the Visa forum but am looking for a quick answer so am posting again on my 'home forum' in the hope someone can help.

I have to renew my non imm B in KL and am trying to sort out my flights. I know it takes two days but is there a procedure like drop in morning on day one and pick up on the afternoon of day 2?

If anyone can post the details I'd be grateful as I want to get flights sorted out today and the Embassy in KL is closed already.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I have never had a non imm B but was under the impression that you could just extend the visa for a year at Chiang Mai immigration offices.

Edit - add in missing "never" from sentence!

Despite a great willingness to try to assist the CM Office were unable to renew it on a technicality and have suggested I go to KL

Hi All

I have posted this on the Visa forum but am looking for a quick answer so am posting again on my 'home forum' in the hope someone can help.

I have to renew my non imm B in KL and am trying to sort out my flights. I know it takes two days but is there a procedure like drop in morning on day one and pick up on the afternoon of day 2?

If anyone can post the details I'd be grateful as I want to get flights sorted out today and the Embassy in KL is closed already.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You may have trouble finding a flight that will get you into KUL early enough to make the application cutoff on Day 1. KUL is quite far from Kuala Lumpur and flight delays plus immigration queues plus heavy traffic could mean you get to the embassy too late. Would strongly recommend you fly in late on Day 0 just to avoid potential problems.

Hi All

Long answer: You may have trouble finding a flight that will get you into KUL early enough to make the application cutoff on Day 1. KUL is quite far from Kuala Lumpur and flight delays plus immigration queues plus heavy traffic could mean you get to the embassy too late. Would strongly recommend you fly in late on Day 0 just to avoid potential problems.

Thanks that is good advice which I shall certainly take.

Hi All

Thanks that is good advice which I shall certainly take.

Here's some unsolicited advice. When arriving at the Embassy at KL plan on a wait of roughly an hour. It doesn't seem to matter what part of the morning you show up: if you arrive late, there's a few dozen people waiting ahead of you; if you show up an hour before they open, there will already be a handful of early-birds sitting on the curb.

Recommend that you be an early-bird, too, if for no other reason than it's more comfortable to sit on the curb in moderate heat than inside the compound later in higher heat. The visa section itself is enclosed and seats a few dozen, but it's crowded, the air-conditioning is wimpy and there always seems to be overflow because of non-applying visitors.

Assuming you're the 6th or 12th in line, once the guard takes down your name, gives you a badge and hand you the application, go immediately inside and take a number, then fill out the form. Saves you time and no need to feel guilty because almost everyone else will do it, too.

Make sure you've got copies of everything you need. There's no photocopy facility in the visa section. The closest place is down the block and across the street and trying to cross that street is a real adventure at rush hour. There's no traffic light or crosswalk.

It goes without saying they'll keep your passport overnight. So have your passport copy to keep with you. Malaysia does give a departure card just like Thailand, but they generally don't staple it in. Keep that with you, don't give it to the visa section to lose.

If you need something to drink, take it with you. The nearest beverages are a good ten minutes away on foot.

If you take the train, the stop you want is called Ampang Park. After you come up the escalator, make a U-turn, cross the big street, pass the French and Spanish embassies and the car dealers on the left and you're there. It's about a 15 minute walk.

Can't advise you on taxis because I get robbed and murdered every time I get in one... Seriously, plentiful and cheap when starting from your hotel, may be a wait to get one leaving the Embassy.

For your flight back on Day 2, visas tend to be ready by 1PM or at the latest 2PM. No problem to leave your bag at your hotel usually, go cop the passport, get back to the hotel, grab the bag and make a 6PM or later flight.

Passports are collected at the guard station. Just show them the receipt for the visa, give them the half of the service number ticket you're allowed to keep, and sign the log book.

Hi All

I have found the KL embassy to be getting a bit doggy of late. I've renewed my one-year non-B visa there every year for the past five years having no problems, but during the last two runs, ran into snags. The second to last run they would only give me a three-month visa saying that I didn't have the correct stamp in my work permit booklet. I returned three months later making sure that the Labor office put in all applicable stamps, and got my one year visa again. The labor office here didn't know anything about incorrect stamps... they just put in their usual ones.

On my last run a couple of months ago, they didn't want to give me any non-b visa stating that my work permit book had expired!! Not the stamp, mind you. The booklet itself. When I pointed out the fact that the Labor office wouldn't give me a stamp that would extend PAST an expired book, in consultation with her superior, the woman behind the glass relented and gave me my one year non-b. But I had requested a single entry visa. THAT they refused, insisting that I get a multiple entry. They also insisted that the work permit book had expired. When I told that to the woman at the local labor office, she laughed, and stapled her name, telephone number, and extension into the work permit book and told me that if they suggested that again to have them call her directly. According to her, (she who fill out the booklet in Chiang Mai,) the booklet doesn't expire until it runs out of blank pages.

As for flying in and out in two days.... that was my plan but the airline had canceled the afternoon flights directly back to Chiang Mai. Only morning flights were running so I had to remain an extra night.

KL has ceased to be the 'easy visa run' that it had been in the past. Now I understand that there are new papers that have to be shown if you are a business owner, including photos of your employees when you want to renew.

When there I stay at Number 8 guest house. Trendy little place with great coffee, only a 7 rinnget cab ride away from the embassy, that is, when you can get them to turn on their meters. Some of the worst cabbies in all of Asia there, and they know it!

Good luck

I would add... make sure u have Ringitt, and not Baht... last time i was there i must have seen 3-4 people try to pay in Baht and get turned away. In the hurry to be there on time some people just forget.

I would also recommend anybody doing this trip in the next months/year also take note of Public holidays over there... as it would be rather annoying to arrive and find the Embassy closed... last time i was there and applying for a visa i noticed a sign saying "CLOSED TOMORROW" which stopped me in my tracks. Fortunately, the sign was 3 weeks old, but still...

20 Dec Hari Raya Haji (Feast of the Sacrifice).

25 Dec Christmas.

1 Jan New Year's Day.

10 Jan Awal Muharram (Islamic New Year).

1 Feb* Federal Territory Day.

7 Feb Chinese New Year.

20 Mar Mawlid al-Nabi (Birth of Prophet Muhammad).

1 May Labour Day.

20 May Wesak Day (Birth of Buddha).

3 Jun King's Birthday.

31 Aug National Day.

1 Oct Hari Raya Puasa (End of Ramadan).

28 Oct** Deepvali.

9 Dec Hari Raya Haji (Feast of the Sacrifice).

25 Dec Christmas.

29 Dec Awal Muharram (Islamic New Year).

* Putrajaya, Kuala Lumpur and Labuan only.

**Except Labuan and Sarawak.

I would add... make sure u have Ringitt, and not Baht... last time i was there i must have seen 3-4 people try to pay in Baht and get turned away. In the hurry to be there on time some people just forget.

I would also recommend anybody doing this trip in the next months/year also take note of Public holidays over there... as it would be rather annoying to arrive and find the Embassy closed... last time i was there and applying for a visa i noticed a sign saying "CLOSED TOMORROW" which stopped me in my tracks. Fortunately, the sign was 3 weeks old, but still...

20 Dec Hari Raya Haji (Feast of the Sacrifice).

25 Dec Christmas.

1 Jan New Year's Day.

10 Jan Awal Muharram (Islamic New Year).

1 Feb* Federal Territory Day.

7 Feb Chinese New Year.

20 Mar Mawlid al-Nabi (Birth of Prophet Muhammad).

1 May Labour Day.

20 May Wesak Day (Birth of Buddha).

3 Jun King's Birthday.

31 Aug National Day.

1 Oct Hari Raya Puasa (End of Ramadan).

28 Oct** Deepvali.

9 Dec Hari Raya Haji (Feast of the Sacrifice).

25 Dec Christmas.

29 Dec Awal Muharram (Islamic New Year).

* Putrajaya, Kuala Lumpur and Labuan only.

**Except Labuan and Sarawak.

Now that, is very good advice. I forgot, but the last time I did call to make sure that they would be open on the day in question. A phone call is well worth it, they will also list all that you need to bring.

If having a thai work permit, what is the advantage of getting the one year visa at a Thai embassy/consulate compared to the immigration in Chiang Mai?

For me, it's the difference of having to make several trips to Immigration over the course of three months versus getting my visa overnight. It's also a good excuse for a short shopping/sightseeing trip to KL, picking up things I can't find in LOS.

When there I stay at Number 8 guest house. Trendy little place with great coffee, only a 7 rinnget cab ride away from the embassy, that is, when you can get them to turn on their meters. Some of the worst cabbies in all of Asia there, and they know it!

Good luck

I always stay in the New Chinatown Hotel on Peteling Street. That's KL's 'night bazaar (and I now have one of the world's largest collection of copy pens, none of which work.) But the side street there has some of the best Chinese street food in KL, and I always eat in the same restaurant. I love it. The hotel is a bit more expensive than a guest house, but they're just down the block from McD's which serves the delicious breakfast Egg/sausage McMuffin, which is sorely lacking here in Thailand. There usually isn't much good to be said about McD's foods, but the breakfasts are noteworthy. I can grab a taxi from outside the shop and be at the embassy 15 minutes later, spend an hour there, then take another taxi from the embassy to the Mid-Valley Megamall and get all my shopping done before dinner back in Chinatown. It's called 'multi-tasking. :o

Wow, straightforward question in the original post, but some of the replies REALLY were questions in disguise.

Like:

The second to last run they would only give me a three-month visa saying that I didn't have the correct stamp in my work permit booklet.

Why the need to get a new visa outside of Thailand if you're already on a Non Imm-B AND a work permit? Can't the immigration office here just extend it? They do for me. And: "A three month visa" : ??? Your length of stay is ALWAYS three months on your initial entry, that's what Non IMmigrant visas ARE, a three month maximum stay visa. THEN after that it's up to the Immigration Office (in tandem with the labour dept) to extend your stay to a year, or whatever the date of expiry of your work permit is. Then extend work permit -> Extend visa to the new date and so on and so forth.

If having a thai work permit, what is the advantage of getting the one year visa at a Thai embassy/consulate compared to the immigration in Chiang Mai?

Indeed!!! Well, some people like flying on airplanes I suppose?

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

Thanks Guys, that is seriously good and useful advice. I appreciate the time it took to give me that.

There's a beer at the bar behind Tuskers for you whenever you wish to claim it.

KL is hot this time of year, take a hat- do I qualify for a free beer? :o

Not sure which country you are from, but if you are a Brit why not just send it to UK consulate Fed Ex next day delivery, 24 hours to get visa then a couple of days to return? That way you could just hole up in Cambodia or Malaysia for 3- 5 days and not have to deal with silly immigration questions from those who like to move the goal posts!

Wow, straightforward question in the original post, but some of the replies REALLY were questions in disguise.

Like:

The second to last run they would only give me a three-month visa saying that I didn't have the correct stamp in my work permit booklet.

Why the need to get a new visa outside of Thailand if you're already on a Non Imm-B AND a work permit? Can't the immigration office here just extend it? They do for me. And: "A three month visa" : ??? Your length of stay is ALWAYS three months on your initial entry, that's what Non IMmigrant visas ARE, a three month maximum stay visa. THEN after that it's up to the Immigration Office (in tandem with the labour dept) to extend your stay to a year, or whatever the date of expiry of your work permit is. Then extend work permit -> Extend visa to the new date and so on and so forth.

Indeed!!! Well, some people like flying on airplanes I suppose?

I am not able to insert my answers in the appropriate places, but Ill try to make do. Please bear with me.

As to why I need to go outside of Thailand each year... I dont. I choose to. I could re-apply at Chiang Mai immigration, but as I said before, that process takes me three months of returning each month and waiting while they send my paperwork to Bangkok and back. Id rather get it all done in a simple 2-3 day trip.

As to why I need to re-apply, who knows? This is what I have been told to do by Immigration. I own my own company. Perhaps you do too, or perhaps you work for another company. Perhaps your needs and mine are different. I simply follow the instructions of Thai Immigration. I only re-apply for the new visa. I just renew the work permit. I have no real need to question the why of it all. I just do it, and make the Thai officials happy.

Why would they only give me a multiple entry visa when I requested a single entry? Only the Gods know for sure. If I had a single entry visa, Id be able to get a home registration paper from Immigration for free. Because I have a multiple entry I have to get this paper from the US consulate and pay 1800 baht. (Something very wrong here; Thailand would give it to me for free, but my own county charges me for the same paper? Go figure.)

By the way, Id use apostrophes with all these contractions, but they dont seem to want to work tonight!

Lastly, yes, I do enjoy taking a 2-3 day trip to KL. There are people there with whom Ive become friends and its nice to see them, have lunch or dinner together, etc. during the trip. I also have been visiting with Master Chin in the Central Market for the past 17 years, and look forward to what he has to offer in the way of metaphysical advice for the coming year. It certainly isnt an expensive trip, so why not? Between getting my paperwork done all at once, getting some shopping done, visiting with old friends, eating good foods, buying cheap copy pens.... who could ask for more? :o