High Season In Chiang Mai

cnxmike

It seems to me the vendors don't have much idea about tourism. They seem to think every farang gets off a plane at Chiangmai, having never been anywhere else in Thailand - heads straight for the night bazaar and therefore knows nothing about prices. They seem to forget that the average 'spending' tourist is probably doing Chiangmai after Phuket, Samui, All the shopping bargains in Bangkok and then 2 or 3 days in Chiangmai for Elephants and different culture. Most farangs know what price things really can be had for, but the vendors just haven't done their homework and greed means they get nothing!

most vendors start with a higher price knowingly that the customer will offer lower- thats how it works. Eventually, after a bit of negoiations an agreed price is paid. But if you would liked fixed pricing go to a store.

to say vendors know nothing of tourism is b.s. most could work out where the tourist has come from and price accordingly within seconds.

Thanks for the knee jerk reaction - now try reading my comment slowly. You amaze me, I wouldn't have known that's how the system works. BTW where exactly did I mention that I liked fixed pricing, you must be confusing me with someone else - that line too is bs.

how would the vendors know about pricing in other locations? Would you expect them to tour around the rest of the tourist traps around Thailand to find out what the locals are charging for similiar priced goods? Would you expect them to believe what the tourists tell them?

your post never mentioned fixed pricing, but if you read my post slowly it says ...if you would like fixed pricing

:o

Thanks for the correction, I have to read it slowly because you write too fast :D though I still don't know why you brought fixed pricing into it.

The vendors you see in the night bazaar are mostly workers on commission, so no they wouldn't do a tour of Thailand. However, the owners of the stalls, some quite wealthy would certainly know the prices around Thailand and ask for XX product to be sold at a certain minimum price.

As others have pointed out these sellers/owners are quite slick, but to you they are not slick enough to know how much things are selling elsewhere!

Also do you think everything comes from Chiangmai? There is a trade between Chiangmai and Bangkok. Crafts are cheaper in Chiangmai and fake goods, handbags etc are cheaper in Bangkok. When buying these goods do you think the vendors have no idea of what they are being purchased for?

So to answer your question Yes they would know what tourists are paying in other locations.

I one finger typed this one :D

so what youre saying is the Chiang Mai vendors/stall owners are greedy based on higher prices than other locations? too simplistic if you think about it. Like someone else has said, rent may be higher here. Or lack of competition which means that they can get away with charging more, or try to.

I know of many that work in the nightmarket, and the crap they put up from tourists that want everything next to nothing. Sometimes the customer is not always right.

I would agree with you that BKK may be cheaper than CM and other places due to the supply trade coming from BKK. So in there lies your answer. Why would the CM vendors charge the same as BKK vendors when the CM vendors might possibly be supplied by the BKK vendor wholesale? I also know some CM vendors being supplied ex BKK.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at CM last week.All the guesthouses I wanted to book were full. I checked 5 or so.

To go back to the original post....

Loy Krathong is traditiaonally the real start of the high season, and as far as I can see the night bazaar is pretty busy, the roads are congested and hotels are pretty full. With problems in most of the last frew years - Flower Expo,Coup, Tsunami, Sars, bird flu etc then assuming nothing untoward happens this could well be a good high season for Chiang Mai.

must be due for a late flooding then? :o

I was at CM last week.All the guesthouses I wanted to book were full. I checked 5 or so.

To go back to the original post....

Loy Krathong is traditiaonally the real start of the high season, and as far as I can see the night bazaar is pretty busy, the roads are congested and hotels are pretty full. With problems in most of the last frew years - Flower Expo,Coup, Tsunami, Sars, bird flu etc then assuming nothing untoward happens this could well be a good high season for Chiang Mai.

must be due for a late flooding then? :o

Expect it to get a little quiet for the next few weeks. After a good upturn in business for November, it usually goes a little bit quiet till about the 15th. My theory is that folk are waiting to combine there annual leave with festive holidays and so get three weeks holiday, using just over 2 weeks leave. High season so far has been quite good for me.

Edited by KevinHUNT

Expect it to get a little quiet for the next few weeks. After a good upturn in business for November, it usually goes a little bit quiet till about the 15th.

I agree. If I remember correctly, The highest point of "High Season" is from the middle of December till the end of February and then it cools down some until the Songkran holiday.

The night bazzzzar used to be in the main building only and that was good enough, especially with the small alley of bars on each side, it made for a real entertaining area ... now it spreads all over like an octopus and it does not make a pretty site ... Chiangmai has too many markets (not talking about food) all around and it looks like we have millions of people here who want to constantly buy stuff ... i don't get it.

Chiangmai is a tremendously fast growing city and with no plans, it obviously becomes a real mess ... what can we do about it ... (garbage collection ?.... :o )

We are getting older ... and what was fun a few years back, might not be anymore ... but I guess it is still fun for the younger ones coming to enjoy town ... (do we know where the university kids hang out ?, this might be fun ... :D )

Tourists now are mainly asian tourists and they do not spend the same way as Europeans/Americans ... Everything is paid for at the country of origin (including massages, true), they come and go and don't care really about culture :D .

As for an an Asian museum ... the best in the world is in Paris and is called "Musee GUIMET'', to have the same in Chiangmai would require a lot of (intelligent) work, if it ever may be expected from the ministry of culture who cares more about image (spaguetti girls) than about a cultural life :D .

The latest governments (including Mr. T's) ate the golden eggs, and despite a manipulated rising of the baht, nobody is going to wait for Thailand to rejoign the train ... the world is moving too fast for them and they are so busy trying to collect the money that they don't give a d*** about anything else. Too sad. :D (censorship of cigarettes in movies / early closing times / schedule for buying alcohol / freedom of the press / and so on ... confident people in government ? no, scared, because no knowledge...), enough.

Too sad. :D (censorship of cigarettes in movies / early closing times / schedule for buying alcohol / freedom of the press / and so on ... confident people in government ? no, scared, because no knowledge...), enough.

Are you for, or against these things?

Clarity Sir, clarity. :o

Too sad. :D (censorship of cigarettes in movies / early closing times / schedule for buying alcohol / freedom of the press / and so on ... confident people in government ? no, scared, because no knowledge...), enough.

Who needs this sort of censorship in a free society !

I am against these kind of backward thinking, what good does it bring, it is an unecessary frustration.

I apologize for the lack of clarity .... :D

Who needs this sort of censorship in a free society !

I am against these kind of backward thinking, what good does it bring, it is an unecessary frustration.

I apologize for the lack of clarity .... :D

Thank you.

I am against: censorship of cigarettes in movies / early closing times / schedule for buying alcohol

I am for: freedom of the press

I am not sure about: and so on ...

:D

I have really appreciated all the points of view on Chiang Mai and where it is in its evolution. A lot of really good points on all sides and a good discussion.

I moved from Phuket 2 years ago, mainly because Phuket had lost all of it's appeal in the 8 years I had been there. It went from a fairly laid back, fun beach town into a busy, dirty, dangerous, money grubbing place. Even after living there 8 years, I was treated like and felt like a new tourist every single day. "Hello, suit for you?", "Hello, welcome", "Massage", "Do you speak English mate?" were phrases I'd hear 100 times a day. I know Phuket wont miss me as the jumbo jets queue up on the tramac and Phuket airport dumping 500 tourists per trip.

I came to Chiang Mai to escape the tourists, the bars, the incessant noise of traffic and construction and the expense that comes with a tourist economy. I do like to go out for a beer every now again, but have to admit the quality of places to go in Chiang Mai is very limited. But if that keeps the kind of tourists that Phuket and Pattaya attracts away from Chiang Mai, I'm not sure I mind. I find enough restaurants to satisfy me, the shopping is ok and the Northern People are more genuine, helpful and don't bother me. In short, I find it very much to my liking.

I feel for those people who derive their living from tourists and I hope that they do well this high season.

But my bottom line agrees with all the posters who noted that Government money should be spent of beatifying and improving the inherent charm that Chiang Mai has to offer and attracting tourists who have seen enough of tourist places and copy Rolex's and want to enjoy a more cultured and genuine city. And while I actually enjoy the Night Safari, I do agree that less artificial tourist attractions will be a good thing. It's not too late for the night market, but surrounded by Burger King, McDonalds and Starbucks, the stage has been set for the type of people that area will attract. I too have been there and only bought DVD's...and paid more than I do in BKK.

I hope Chiang Mai does not deteriorate into the wrong type of tourist trap for all the reasons I left Phuket. The evolution of Chiang Mai will depend very much on the type and volume of tourists and what brings them here. I hope it goes the right way.

DLock.

What frustrated me in Chiang Mai, was the work they were doing on the super high-way. I lived for a year in CM, and I barely see any progress on the s-high-way. Is it done yet?

underpass/overpass @ the intersection to San Kamphaeng finished about 6 months ago, with the works completed in about 12 months or so.

and the other under/over @ ?? (name escapes me) has finished as well.

so, less frustration for all :o

underpass/overpass @ the intersection to San Kamphaeng finished about 6 months ago, with the works completed in about 12 months or so.

and the other under/over @ ?? (name escapes me) has finished as well.

Sankamphaeng: Nong Pratheep Intersection: Finished.

Chotana/Mae Rim Rd : Khuang Singh Intersection: Finished. (very recently)

Doi Saket Rd: San Dek Intersection: Not finished I think?

Everything else is finished on the Middle Ring: Hand Dong, Nong Hoi, Sankamphaeng, Doi Saket, May Jo and Mae Rim all have beautiful tunnels. Canal Road has a regular bridge + traffic lights.

Flyover on the THIRD (Outer) Ring across the Lampang Super Highway (#11) is now passable!!! Not open officially yet, you need to dodge some concrete obstacles similar to the Need For Speed video game, but you can get to the other side.

Edited by chanchao

CMU has two, one at the clock tower and one past the library. If you find yourself pining for some roundabout action just like the old days when you was a lad in Britain then don't hesitate and mosey on over to the CMU roundabouts!

Maybe others could join and turn it into a day.

Edited by chanchao

CMU has two, one at the clock tower and one near the library. If you find yourself pining for some roundabout action just like the old days when you was a lad in Blighty then don't hesitate and mosey on over to the CMU roundabouts!

Yes, but none on the highways.

Always enjoy the one by the sports stadium. Witnessed so many beautiful snarl ups there over the years, with our seriously interesting local drivers insisting on giving way to traffic entering the roundabout.

The night bazzzzar used to be in the main building only and that was good enough, especially with the small alley of bars on each side, it made for a real entertaining area ... now it spreads all over like an octopus and it does not make a pretty site ... Chiangmai has too many markets (not talking about food) all around and it looks like we have millions of people here who want to constantly buy stuff ... i don't get it.

Chiangmai is a tremendously fast growing city and with no plans, it obviously becomes a real mess ...

I think by Thai standards it's planned rather well. I mean, look at Bangkok.

We are getting older ...

Speak for yourself! :D

and what was fun a few years back, might not be anymore ... but I guess it is still fun for the younger ones coming to enjoy town ... (do we know where the university kids hang out ?,

At the university.

And Nimmanhaemin, though true uni kids are really quite young and mostly far too well behaved to add to the overal fun in a statistically significant way. :o

As for an an Asian museum ... the best in the world is in Paris and is called "Musee GUIMET'', to have the same in Chiangmai would require a lot of (intelligent) work, if it ever may be expected from the ministry of culture who cares more about image (spaguetti girls)

Spaghetti girls are *SO* last year. It's now Coyote Girls. (And a change for the better it is, as you'll all readily agree.)

The latest governments (including Mr. T's) ate the golden eggs, and despite a manipulated rising of the baht, nobody is going to wait for Thailand to rejoign the train ... the world is moving too fast for them and they are so busy trying to collect the money that they don't give a d*** ...

duck?

... about anything else. Too sad. :D (censorship of cigarettes in movies / early closing times / schedule for buying alcohol / freedom of the press / and so on ... confident people in government ? no, scared, because no knowledge...), enough.

Yah.. though I don't think those things are seriously to blame for any decline (and then a decline in Chiang Mai specifically)

Edited by chanchao

CMU has two, one at the clock tower and one near the library. If you find yourself pining for some roundabout action just like the old days when you was a lad in Blighty then don't hesitate and mosey on over to the CMU roundabouts!

Yes, but none on the highways.

Always enjoy the one by the sports stadium. Witnessed so many beautiful snarl ups there over the years, with our seriously interesting local drivers insisting on giving way to traffic entering the roundabout.

I think the award for the most awkward roundabout naviation has got to go to the Dolphin roundabout in North Pattaya. It's really all the entertainment you'd ever need there!

oh wait..

Edited by chanchao

I've often thought that farang residents are about 10% of the population. I've also thought that many thais from other provinces like to come live here too.

I personally think chiang mai would be better off trying to develop according to the wishes of residents - locals, other thais, farangs, other foreigners - rather than for the tourists. The very reason tourists come to towns end up disappearing and then the tourists no longer come and those that live there end up with a mess.

I love the town and have lived here five years after ten in bangkok. But i sometimes wish there were more places in the evening where you could go and simply come across others that live here.

Now for example, a favourite restaurant of mine is the huen boran (antique house) by the river near the road leading to the gymkhana club. It's just got even better because last weekend we stepped out after dinner, walked a few yards up the road and into the new Tara pub/restaurant i had been wanting to try for a while. It was pretty full, magnificent setting and some creative thinking has gone into the set up. It had mostly thais, but a few farangs who obviously live here. There was very good live music including a female lead singer with a stunning voice. They were kind of in the middle of the place. Great views over the river, wonderful lighting, and just a great vibe to amongst people obviously enjoying their night out.

I do hope it continues to do well. Too often in this town i discover great places only to find that they've gone jeng (bust) not long after. I know most of chiang mai is owned by not many thais, and they can get very greedy with their rent prices, especially when a business comes along and does well.

I want to think more about this topic.

I've often thought that farang residents are about 10% of the population.

I'm starting to think that number of farang residents has been dramatically lowered by expats who have fled town because of supposed pollution and visa problems.

Could well be true, especially the visa problems. But there's still thousands of us living here.

But my minor peeve is that i like to go to some nice places at night time and find them at least half full so that you get the vibe of nightlife and people having fun. Empty pubs/restaurants/night places are no fun at all. I mean, where in town is there a decent nightclub where you can have a proper dancefloor and that caters to people over the age of 25?? Where can one go if they want a good smooch with their partner to some good old 60s music? Why do reggae pubs come and then go pretty soon after? Where's a decent blues bar that gets the punters in? Jazz? I do realise meanwhile that the brasserie is a monster of a good place for live music...

The other thing i think this town misses for all of its residents is some good gigs. I mean getting in bands from around the country and from maybe european countries too. But to my knowledge there's no promoters in town.

The other thing i think this town misses for all of its residents is some good gigs. I mean getting in bands from around the country and from maybe european countries too. But to my knowledge there's no promoters in town.

I lived in San Francisco for 15 years and saw The Cure, The Smiths, Throwing Muses, Gun Club, X, Husker Du, U2, Green on Red, the Go-Gos and countless other bands in tiny neighborhood clubs for almost nothing when they were struggling their way to the top. It is pretty hard for me to get excited about most local musicians after that.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I lived in San Francisco for 15 years and saw The Cure, The Smiths, Throwing Muses, Gun Club, X, Husker Du, U2, Green on Red, the Go-Gos and countless other bands in tiny neighborhood clubs for almost nothing when they were struggling their way to the top. It is pretty hard for me to get excited about most local musicians after that.

lucky man ug , i never saw the smiths i did however get to see morrisey last year great gig . also a few years back some friends of mine went to see suede on top of the then uncompleted airport plaza also a very good night :o

Work permit ?...

Remember the 'filipinos' at this pub on Huay Keaw road (i cant get the name) ... they could not stay long and I saw them plying in Saigon ... they told me about the real hard time they got in thailand from Immigration and from the owner of the bar ...

Well Carabou plays here at least a couple of times a year - really enjoyed his gig at Mae-Jo Uni a few months ago, and good value at a couple of hundred baht, for VIP-section seats (normal chairs - but at the front).

Work permit ?...

Remember the 'filipinos' at this pub on Huay Keaw road (i cant get the name) ... they could not stay long and I saw them plying in Saigon ... they told me about the real hard time they got in thailand from Immigration and from the owner of the bar ...

It's a case of wait and see what tourists come to town and also wait and see wait the new government proposes.

If they are anything like Toxins mob of fools then we can expect the usual censorship lunacy.

If not the the good old days may come back again :o