Electric Grounding

Gimbo

I am having our typical village house completely rewired, and the electrician seemed to be doing a good job. And was just finishing up by hooking up the grounding of the fuse box. And luck would have it I was there when he fished out his little drill and started to drill into the concrete floor under the fuse box. Then I noticed a 1.5 mm square black wire trailing down there. And he was allready in the process of fixing a 2 inch copper bolt into the little hole he had made. Apparantly this was going to be the "grounding" of the house.

I stopped him, called the attention of my wife to explain the facts of life to hime. Something she grudgingly did, while not understanding at all why I was so unreasonable, becouse this was the way it was "done" in Thailand.

Well, the dude is on his way to purchase a proper grounding rod and wire. And the wife is not speaking to me... well, she'll come around in a few hours and we'll almost have a "safe" house.... :D:o:D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can do one better than that!

I asked the electrician installing a new washing machine to ground it properly, since the last one gave you a little "feel of the juice". Not lethal, but unpleasant.

When I came to check, the ground was a two cm screw in the concrete wall (not even floor), and for good measure screwed into the hole using, I kid you not, a yellow plastic plug you use for hanging small pictures. Go figure. Got a 2 meter copper rod and clamp after that.

A friend who has a house here once told me that the telephone system is properly grounded here in Thailand, so it is best to tie into its ground if the phone junction/connection box is easily accessible outside your house.

Sorry that I can't offer any details about how to do it, but perhaps another member knows about this stuff and can advise you further.

Grounding (earthing) your power supply in Thailand - "what's that" must be something new - similar to having the active and neutral interchange throughout the house and running common circuits ie, lights and power outlets on the same circuit - well I guess if you use power outlets without on/off switches does it really matter.

I am thinking of building a house in a few years so will probably import all the power points (3 pin) and wire the place in accordance with Aussie standards including proper earthing and earth leakage detection all undertaken under my supervision - at least I will feel safer than I do currently with the slap-dash system used in Thailand.

I had the same problem when I installed my well pump.

The so called expert told me to take the grounding wire(the 1/2 inch exposed portion) & just stick it in the dirt & shovel some more dirt on top of it.They didn't even carry the grounding rod or clamp at Kayong- I had to go to Homepro. Well worth the trip!

I asked him <deleted> & he assured me they would send a qualified technician over on delivery.

Well on delivery there was no person other than the taxi driver.

Original plan . Got a proper copper grounding rod & clamp, so I wouldn't get shocked every time I touch a switch.

Odd one would think "reading about the trade you are in would be required"

I guess in Thailand getting zapped is a way of acceptable living.

No wonder the new airport (BKK) got a good portion of it burned up before it opened.

School in western countries mean you really do have to learn the trade & past a test to graduate- here the only school training seems like the school of hard knocks.

You did well, better to have your gal pissed at you for being(what they call fussy) Than knowingly doing it the wrong way!

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

I had the same problem when I installed my well pump.

The so called expert told me to take the grounding wire(the 1/2 inch exposed portion) & just stick it in the dirt & shovel some more dirt on top of it.They didn't even carry the grounding rod or clamp at Kayong- I had to go to Homepro. Well worth the trip!

I asked him <deleted> & he assured me they would send a qualified technician over on delivery.

Well on delivery there was no person other than the taxi driver.

Original plan . Got a proper copper grounding rod & clamp, so I wouldn't get shocked every time I touch a switch.

Odd one would think "reading about the trade you are in would be required"

I guess in Thailand getting zapped is a way of acceptable living.

No wonder the new airport (BKK) got a good portion of it burned up before it opened.

School in western countries mean you really do have to learn the trade & past a test to graduate- here the only school training seems like the school of hard knocks.

You did well, better to have your gal pissed at you for being(what they call fussy) Than knowingly doing it the wrong way!

Beardog

What would you expect - the well guy is probably a rice farmer most of the time and a well driller / installer part time.

I can do one better than that!

I asked the electrician installing a new washing machine to ground it properly, since the last one gave you a little "feel of the juice". Not lethal, but unpleasant.

When I came to check, the ground was a two cm screw in the concrete wall (not even floor), and for good measure screwed into the hole using, I kid you not, a yellow plastic plug you use for hanging small pictures. Go figure. Got a 2 meter copper rod and clamp after that.

Well, the dude is digging the hole for it now. And the wife is again speaking to me, so all is well again. But she still insist that what i am doing is not Thai!

She got that right :D:o

And why do I wan't to do things "not easy" all the time. Farang bah!

The electrician was actually admitting that the farang is actually right, hence her turn around. So that was quite a shock to me. I was expecting the whole face game coming into play, and half expected him not to show up again...but then not a single baht have exhanged hands for the job yet... :D

Edited by Gimbo

Lying in a crozzled heap on the floor is the normal "Thai way", so good luck to the OP for sticking to his guns on this issue.

I'm having a house (almost completed) built myself, and the grounding has been done to my satisfaction. Famous last words... :o

Lying in a crozzled heap on the floor is the normal "Thai way", so good luck to the OP for sticking to his guns on this issue.

I'm having a house (almost completed) built myself, and the grounding has been done to my satisfaction. Famous last words... :D

Last year in pattaya there was a story going around about the thai wife of a farang was electocuted whiilst having a shower apparently a newly installed electric water heater was blamed. its best not to take any chances I would ask around and try to find a farang electrician and have the work done correctly. he'd probably work for beer :o I know stuff all about elec myself

Personally we have own our 50Kv transformer (3 phase) which has full Multiple Earth Neutral and our house is fully earthed throughout - including the lighting circuits. Oh yes we have separate lighting, socket and air con circuits. . . our lights don't dim when you turn on the aircon! :D

Don't ya just love it when you've done your own electrics . . I don't get shocks off nowt! :D :D

It was rather amusing to see the aircon guys looking at amazement at the wiring in the Square D junction box . . . all these green and yellow wires caused confusion . . :o

Edited by technocracy

I'm having a house (almost completed) built myself, and the grounding has been done to my satisfaction. Famous last words... :D

Last year in pattaya there was a story going around about the thai wife of a farang was electocuted whiilst having a shower apparently a newly installed electric water heater was blamed. its best not to take any chances I would ask around and try to find a farang electrician and have the work done correctly. he'd probably work for beer :D I know stuff all about elec myself

I trained as an electrician some 15-16 years ago. So I "know" stuff myself. Have been keeping an eye on him, and he is not that bad actually. I bought all the outlets and switches, fuse box and everything myself. I just don't know the system here, and being a while since I held a screwdriver, so I hired this dude.

His only screw up was the grounding, but I actually atribute that to my wife, who could not fathom why that was needed, so I suspect that she did not translate that part of my wishes when we went over what we wanted for the house with him.

:o

... this was the way it was "done" in Thailand...

:o OMG! How many times have I heard that one! (And not just about "electrics").

So glad you "educated" them. :D

It is absolutely true that you need to keep your eye on tradesmen here. The stories above reminded me of the time when an air-con engineer came to install a AC unit for me. I had provided a switched supply and a nice long earth wire at the location of the indoor unit. He connected up the supply correctly but then I noticed that he had snipped off the earth wire where it exited the plastic conduit. When I brought this to his attention he said the unit didn't need this as it was protected by a circuit breaker. Another thing I have encountered twice after tradesman have disconnected the supply at the meter for welding or use of cement mixers, is that they then reversed the polarity when they reconnected the cables (which means that single pole MCBs in your consumer unit are not switching off the positive side of the supply). There may be all kinds of horrors lurking that you did not spot, so I think the best approach is (a) make sure you have a couple of good earth rods (6 or 8 feet) and (b ) a decent Residual Current Device protecting the whole installation.

Edited by citizen33

Maybe TV would do well to pin a topic warning any unsuspecting farang about the poor practice in Thailand regarding grouding, or really the lack thereof.

Unless exposed to threads like this, which occurs only once in a while, a farang may get member of his family or himself electrocuted. That would be an unnecessary tragedy. TV can do a great service to all the farangs who are the main customers of this website. No visitor to this country would ever suspect that a wannabe industrial country like Thailand don't know how to properly ground the electrical circuitry in so many places, office and residence alike.

Maybe TV would do well to pin a topic warning any unsuspecting farang about the poor practice in Thailand regarding grouding, or really the lack thereof.

Unless exposed to threads like this, which occurs only once in a while, a farang may get member of his family or himself electrocuted. That would be an unnecessary tragedy. TV can do a great service to all the farangs who are the main customers of this website. No visitor to this country would ever suspect that a wannabe industrial country like Thailand don't know how to properly ground the electrical circuitry in so many places, office and residence alike.

A good idea, maybe one of our farang electricians or electrical engineers could put together a straight forward discussion on the in's and out's of making sure all electrics you have done or ckecked in your residence are safe.

A good idea, maybe one of our farang electricians or electrical engineers could put together a straight forward discussion on the in's and out's of making sure all electrics you have done or ckecked in your residence are safe.

Check out this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67644

and this website http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/

Be safe :o:D

but I actually atribute that to my wife, who could not fathom why that was needed

disconnect the ground rod ( I hope it is not just copper coated ) and then get your wife to touch some exposed metal in an appliance in the house. then re-connect ( show her ) and take her back to the same appliance - she should feel the difference.

if it takes more than one or two demonstrations , you may have another problem :o

disconnect the ground rod ( I hope it is not just copper coated ) and then get your wife to touch some exposed metal in an appliance in the house. then re-connect ( show her ) and take her back to the same appliance - she should feel the difference.

if it takes more than one or two demonstrations , you may have another problem :o

Are you suggesting that she should risk electrocution to prove a point? If this is the case, she may be "around" to partake in the 2nd demonstation. Then of course, the 2nd problem you will have, is the funeral.

this is a great idea! a "layman's" manual of sorts would be excellent!!!

See above for links.

I work with medical EEG equipment, and they require grounding. Not just kinda-a-sorta "Thai Style" grounding. THEY REQUIRE GROUNDING. Believe it or not, but many hospitals are not grounded correctly. Some are not even grounded at all. So the EEG results are all skewed & sometimes EEG can not even be attempted because the grounding is so bad.

Then you have dirty current because they do not isolate anything!

I once saw a procedure, where by a cochlear implant was installed. After the procedure is done, you are suposed to run an EEG to make sure the implant works before you end the surgery & sew the recipeint back up.

Well because the hospital was not grounded, they had no idea if the implant worked or not.... so they just assumed it worked and sewed up the recipeint. Even the surgeons here are satisfied with half aresed work!

Not to mention many surgeries should have a person montioring an EEG machine to make sure the surgeon is not damaging specific nerves etc. But if the grounding is not correct.... you can not monitor anything! It is like practiceing war time medicine!

TIT

AS/NZ 3017 Electrical Installations - Testing and Inspection guidelines. Available from Standards Australia. 34pages.

Great links, we should all be thankful for this information.

Great links, we should all be thankful for this information.

the big problem is that all information is only valuable if your home is not already built. to the best of my knowledge it is nearly impossible or prohibitive expensive to rewire all outlets with proper grounding.

The last house I had built in Thailand I brought all the fittings out from UK including a commercial style RCCB It was well earthed but when the local authority sent 10,000 volts through it everything went the RCCB actually caught fire and virtually every appliance was buggered.

They did the same again a few weeks later, I got hold of EGAT and many bosses arrived in Mercedes and were happy to advise me it was PGats problem not EGATS they mended a couple of my thinngs then gave up.

All my neighbours without earths were unaffected

the big problem is that all information is only valuable if your home is not already built. to the best of my knowledge it is nearly impossible or prohibitive expensive to rewire all outlets with proper grounding.

Actually only a single ground wire is required, along with new outlets/ground stake. The outlets are the same size and only cost a few baht. If breaker box does not have ground or room to install terminals you might have to replace but most would already be usable.

If you can not rewire (rental and such - although I would try for a share cost or even do myself if able) almost any landlord would allow you to install RCD such as Safe-T-Cut (local brand) and that will offer a great deal of protection even without a ground. Both are preferred but if you can not ground at least use this.