Paying Car Tax When Selling Your Car?

caster

I recently heard that, if you car is in your name(Expat/Farang) you have to pay some sort of Tax when selling it,But if it's in you Wifes name(thai),you dont have too,Anyone heard of this? what type of tax is it? and how much is it approximately?, call me stupid,but i've been here for 10 years and only just heard of it

Thnx

you have no tax to pay more than Thai, you just need to get a residence certificate from immigration to sell it on, just as you do when you buy a car or motorbike. if the sale is between two falangs you need x2 certificates which buyer/ seller exchange with the papers and logbook. when doing so cross passport and documents like a cheques crossing and mark for transfer of vehicle only. that way you will not find them used for anything else. any doubts go to government approved liscencing agent on sukhumvit road. heading towards Bangkok, he after pattaya klang and before pattaya Nua. he's after the new DIY store on the left and before the chevy dealer. its a blue front i think, ask for gook, he is the boss. they do the rudimentary MOT type test thats required when a car is six years old. they are very helpful and will take care of vehicle logbook name changes for you,(regardless of area the car is registered in), road tax issues, MOT etc.

i hope that helps

There is a small sales tax, when you change the ownership of the vehicle. It doesn't matter if you are Thai or Foreigner. The taxation is the same and depend on the market value of the vehicle. I payd for a 30 year old American V8 arround 7'000 Baht, but for a small 10 year old car it is maybe only a couple hundert baht. If the car s newer, the tax will be higher. I don't know the prosentage, but you can get exactly information at the Ministery of Transportation.