Cd-r Or Dvd-r?

Robski

Hi all, it might seem like a daft question, but..

I want to post some mp.3' to some friends.

If I use CD-R I get 700mb worth, around 70 songs per cd.

If I use DVD-R I get 4.7 Gb, around 500 songs and the benefit of using less cd's.

Will the smaller pit size on the DVD-R affect the quality of the mp.3? :o

If I use DVD-R I get 4.7 Gb, around 500 songs and the benefit of using less cd's.

The loss in quality is that little that you're not able to realize it. I would go with DVD-R or even better with DVD-RW because the Quality of the RW is highe than from the R!

The loss in quality is that little that you're not able to realize it. I would go with DVD-R or even better with DVD-RW because the Quality of the RW is highe than from the R!

Are you for real Reimar?

OP -- you're writing data disks, right? MP3 files are the same as any other files, just a collection of 0s and 1s. There will be no difference whatsoever between the file stored on floppy disk, hard disk, CD, DVD or any other media.

70 songs per CDs ? dude you are storing them at 512kbps ? if say you use between 128k or 256K (or better with VBR) you can store much much more than 70 songs on a CD (well it's not going up to 200 songs but you will still get a better figure than 70 songs)

After that it's not a question of "quality vs quantity" if you want quality, don't use MP3, use Flac, AAC lossless, WMA lossless, WavePack or whatever (google them), if you want "Volume" (the more music the better) than indeed DvD is much better.

As said MarkBKK, your MP3 will stay the same wherever you copy them so you won't get more "quality loss"

Robski -

So you want to give either a CD or a DVD full of MP3s to your friends.....hhhhmmmmm.

The issue may not be just Quality vs. Quantiy, but rather Playability.

Ask your friends if they are going to play the MP3s on a standard DVD player at home or just maybe play the MP3s in their car stereo system. Many new cars come with the standard CD player that will play audio WAV, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MP3 files that are recorded onto compact disks but NOT when recorded onto DVDs. But on the other hand, if they have upgraded their car stereo system to include playing VCD and DVD movies, then there shouldn't be any problem.

The same goes for notebook and desktop computers. Will they play the MP3s on a computer equipped with a CD-R(W) or one with DVD playback capability.

For the ultimate in archiving MP3s, why not go with the next-generation optical disc format known as Blu-ray disc (BD) with a storage capacity of 25 GB on a single-layer disc and a whopping 50 GB on a dual-layer disc. That's enough MP3s to keep your toes tappin' for quite some time.....and who knows, with Christmas just around the corner, maybe your friends will pleasantly surprise you. :o

Edited by wrestler7902002