Thai Airways Getting More Expensive?

annetta

I made a reservation in September for a Rome-Bangkok-Phuket and return flight with THAI, departure date 26-12-07, return 07-01-08. I was on the waiting list until yesterday and at the end I got the confirmation today but I was shocked when they asked me 1.400 euro!!!! I understand it's peak season but I cannot go in march-april, when the fares are lower but it seems too much, last year I paied about 1100 euro fro the same flight, same period.

I tried with Singapore Airlines, they are even more expensive.......

Any advice for a change, I will fly again on August.

Thank you,

Annetta :o

I made a reservation in September for a Rome-Bangkok-Phuket and return flight with THAI, departure date 26-12-07, return 07-01-08. I was on the waiting list until yesterday and at the end I got the confirmation today but I was shocked when they asked me 1.400 euro!!!! I understand it's peak season but I cannot go in march-april, when the fares are lower but it seems too much, last year I paied about 1100 euro fro the same flight, same period.

Thank you,

Annetta :D

It's called "ticket sticker shock" and it won't be getting better anytime soon, at least not with oil hovering around the $100 dollar a barrel mark. The airlines are once again taking it in the shorts....fuel wise. Just check the recent major airline fee hikes in the last month. They love the term "fuel surcharge!" :o

Well yes you are travelling at peak time and clearly the planes are full resulting in the wait listing. There is no easy solution, if you book to Bangkok or KL and use a budget carrier to Phuket you will save a little at peak season prices. (rather than a through ticket) I just checked Emirates via Dubai and they have a fare of €1130 to Bangkok but not the exact dates you are travelling.

The only solution would be to investigate travelling via other hubs rather than direct.

Unfortunately it wont get better as August is again peak season out of Europe. Fares generally get cheaper after about 15th August but the deals are not normally announced until the beginning of August.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

take it, it's more expensive than the last year - but is cheap in comparison to other airlines and routes.

for the peak season you have to book well in advance and be flexible with dates, airports and airlines - you should buy back in september from anywhere else.

if you really want to safe some money but have a very bumpy ride (that's what I usually do) try Rome to Hong Kong for 750 euros than get to Macau and take Phuket with some budget airline

Rome, Italy to Hong Kong, Hong Kong: 6295 miles 16 hrs 35 min

Air China Flight CA940 on a Boeing 747 (jet) in coach class

(breakfast, dinner)

Departs Rome, Italy (FCO) Mon, Dec 24 7:10p 9 hrs 50 min

Arrives Beijing, China (PEK) Tue, Dec 25 noon

Layover in Beijing 3 hrs 20 min

Air China Flight CA115 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(snack)

Departs Beijing, China (PEK) Tue, Dec 25 3:20p 3 hrs 25 min

Arrives Hong Kong, Hong Kong (HKG) 6:45p

Note: The flight from Rome (FCO) to Beijing (PEK) is overnight.

Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Rome, Italy: 6295 miles 15 hrs 50 min

Air China Flight CA118 on a Boeing 767 (jet) in coach class

(breakfast)

Departs Hong Kong, Hong Kong (HKG) Mon, Jan 7 8:30a 3 hrs 5 min

Arrives Beijing, China (PEK) 11:35a

Layover in Beijing 2 hrs 0 min

Air China Flight CA939 on a Boeing 747 (jet) in coach class

(lunch, dinner)

Departs Beijing, China (PEK) Mon, Jan 7 1:35p 10 hrs 45 min

Arrives Rome, Italy (FCO) 5:20p

Edited by londonthai

Thank you,

I just watched a nice little video of a drunk foreigner making a total idiot of himself and then getting his ass kicked by a Thai cop.

These high ticket prices will weed out the riff-raff who have been able to disturb holiday destinations worldwide.

I just watched a nice little video of a drunk foreigner making a total idiot of himself and then getting his ass kicked by a Thai cop.

These high ticket prices will weed out the riff-raff who have been able to disturb holiday destinations worldwide.

maybe the OP do not drink in excess, is not a rif-raff and can't fork out an additional 300 euros to her holidays.

rich alcoholics will still be coming

and what about those thai who won't be able to afford a fare to see their family?

:o Mbkudu, I don't drink so I will not risk to be kicked by a thai tamruat.....

Londonthai, thank you for the useful infos. Unfortunately both China and Cathay Pacific flight are fully booked on that dates so I confirmed with Thai Airways, despite the price. At least the timetable is quite comfortable, flying to Bangkok in slightly more than 10 hours....

A nice wekend to you all

Annetta

For 1400 euros I would be flying Business class on Qatar Airways if I were u. Much better service and quality of food and seating, in-flight enterntainment thanThai Business class and obviously Thai Economy.

Thai is way down the pecking list now and I really only fly them as a last resort anywhere.

Thank you Dekka, I will call them anyway, maybe I can arrange with them for the next trip!

This is an option I didn't consider because I am wrong in thinking that only asian conpanies fly to Bangkok, I have to widen my views, so any other info is appreciated! :o

For 1400 euros I would be flying Business class on Qatar Airways if I were u.

No over Xmas you wouldn't

Annetta

You should check all options, all the Emirates airlines, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf and Emirates as well as considering going via Frankfurt, Amsterdam or even London. All these airlines have websites but with some you will get a better deal by using an online agent.

it's the fuel costs - tourism increased to thailand marginally, not justifying price hike.

another issue if full capacity of the new airport - airlines would increase flights if there was another bangkok airport and the airfare would drop. At the moment budget intercontinental fliers do use Hong Kong and than a budget airline to thailand.

In many European countries tourism to Thailand is growing by 20-30% or more per year. That's definitely not a marginal growth, and it does effect prices of flights.

Fuel/oil price increase in Euros has been quite moderate during past years, so it's definitely isn't the reason for greatly increase prices.

I booked a BKK-LAX-BKK

leaving early december and coming back early Jan -

I booked it last month and got it for 35k

But to get this price I had to set my return date as Jan 1st.

If I changed my dates in any direction - the price shot to 50k and then to 80k for Premium economy

So its just a matter of booking ahead and playing around with the dates - one day in some random direction can mean a vast difference in pricing.

Thank you,

:D Almost all airlines are raising their fares, they all claim due to higher fuel costs. Most airlines raise there rates in September or October. Thai has raised the fare for at least 3 years in a row in October(and I think once in April....fuel surcharge). If you can do it, the best thing to do is schedule an annual trip in August or September to avoid the usual October fare hike.

What's killing me here is the Euro/Dollar rate. I am here in Greece, and have to buy my ticket on Thai in Euro. At one time the rate was $1.10 for a Euro. Now it is up to almost $1.50 a Euro. So a 5% increase in air fare in Euro cost, hurts me badly since I'm paid in dollars.

:D