Received 90 Day Usa Visa For Wife

Hope this might help prepare some others. After weeks of preparing documents, forms, translations, pictures, etc., for a B1 visa it all boiled down to the attitude of the guy at the window. We arrived at 7:15 am for an 8:30 appointment. At the window where they check the documents, the Thai staff asked my wife why she had so many surnames -current, previously married and maiden. No other questions there. Seated inside at 8 am and called at 10:15 am. As my wife's number was called, a confused young Thai person stepped to the window and the guy behind it shouted at her "Are you so and so? Go sit down. Don't come up here until I call you." My wife stepped up next, already feeling a little intimidated, and the the first question was " Are you going to immigrate to to the States?" It was not a question we had previously discussed. She didn't quite understand and replied that she was going to visit her husband. He asked how long we had been married. Two years. Does he live in Thailand? No, he travels here every 8 weeks. Why does she have three surnames? Answered slowly and interrupted with "What does your husband do?" Again a slowly forthcoming answer interrupted with "Is your husband here?" I was standing against the wall opposite the windows and she quickly waved me up. he asked me if she was planning to immigrate to thge States. I said no, that's why we filed a nonimmigrant application. I said perhaps if he were to look at some of our documentation...interrupted. No, I don't need to see it. How long have you been married? Two years. What do you? Import products to USA from Asia. Does she travel with you to visit these other countries (listed in the application)? Yes. I will issue a 90 day visa, but she hasn't proven she will return. I asked, increduously, how he can make that determination without looking at any of the documentation. He said he doesn't need to see it. I asked what reason he had for not looking at the documentation that was specified in the applications as things that should be brought to the interview. He replied "You have the 90 day visa. If she comes back she can apply again." He then began telling my wife in fractured Thai that he was giving the 90 day visa and that she must return to Thailand before the visa expires. End of interview. I bit my tongue as his attitude had put me in an angry state of mind and I did not want to jepordize what we already had in hand.

From some of the other reports here in the forum, it seems that it does go much easier sometimes, but hope this helps others to prepare.

The first US tourist visa my wife got back in late 2001 was a 3 month validity. I don't think it is too unusual, nor is the attitude of some of our consular officials. The 90 days referred to is she must enter the US within the 90 days validity of the visa. She is likely get a permission to stay stamp of 6 months on entry, though that is up to the officer at the port of entry, so it will be tough to return to Thailand before the visa expires. I think the officer was saying do not overstay on the single entry allowed by the visa.

Take the trip, when you get back, apply again and she will very likely get a 10 year multi entry that time.

TH

The first US tourist visa my wife got back in late 2001 was a 3 month validity. I don't think it is too unusual, nor is the attitude of some of our consular officials. The 90 days referred to is she must enter the US within the 90 days validity of the visa. She is likely get a permission to stay stamp of 6 months on entry, though that is up to the officer at the port of entry, so it will be tough to return to Thailand before the visa expires. I think the officer was saying do not overstay on the single entry allowed by the visa.

Take the trip, when you get back, apply again and she will very likely get a 10 year multi entry that time.

TH

Yep, that's often the way it is.  My GF, at the time, got her first two B1/B2 visas just that way, short term.  Third time up to the window, still GF, gota 10 year visa.  That expired, we're married by now, and 4th time up, another 10 year visa.

Earlier on reckon she need to establish a track record of visiting the U.S., and returning.

Mac

I took my wife to the USA to visit my father who is dying and they only gave a visa for 30 days. But they gave her a letter that she had to return to the embassy within 2 days after the return date of our ticket. They said if she was late she would never get another visa to the USA. This is after we were married for 6 years and had 2 of our dual national children in tow. And this is with showing them that she has a business and land in her name in thailand so plenty of reason to come back. No questions asked of her though. Just looked at the documents and gave the warning letter. Maybe she will get a longer visa next time.

By the way this was her 3rd trip to the USA.

Edited by wolfmanjack

She is likely get a permission to stay stamp of 6 months on entry, though that is up to the officer at the port of entry,

Depending on your port of entry to the US, your wife should be prepared for a second 'grilling' as it is ultimately that Immigration officer who will decide if she is a bona fide visitor and that Immigration officer has the non-debatable right to decide how long she can stay OR deny entry.

Consider yourself lucky that A ) your were allowed to accompany your wife at your embassy and, B ) getting a visa despite you openly questioning their evaluation process. You try that at US Immigration and you won't get to the baggage carousel very quickly. The Brits for example, have outsourced their visa applications to an impartial 3rd party where the applicant is the only one permitted to enter, submit documentation and answer any questions.