Bristish Style Indian And Chinese Restaurants In Pattaya

paul1970

I agree JaiDee, I would give my right arm for a decent chinkies. Have spent the last year looking and was seriously considering offering 'nippy' Norman (the proprieter of my local take-away in UK) a free business class ticket to come here and show them how it's done.

For good quality & value indian curry during daylight hours, try Food Wave in Royal Garden Plaza - it's very nice and not the tourist trap that I thought it might be although the choice of curries is limited. There's often some decent fanny milling round also. Which is nice. Also note that there's also a chinese style counter here and you can get things like hot&sour soup & beef & black bean sauce etc.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew into Thailand from Hong Kong a few months ago and was so disappointed with Chinese food in Hong Kong. Many of the restaurants there serve Japanese cuisine and it was so difficult to find a decent Chinese restaurant.

In Pattaya, I tried the Chinese restaurant on Second Road, right next door to the Royal Garden Shopping Arcade. It was one of the best Chinese meals I have eaten. Their English style sweet and sour pork is to die for. The owner appears to be Chinese and his menu is far superior to anything I found in HK. It is a little pricey for Pattaya standard but worth paying the extra for the food quality and taste.

I'm sorry that I don't know the name of this place but I'm sure somebody in Pattaya will be able to supply the name.

Siam Bay View/Shore hotels are owned by a Chinese Thai lady. Her in-hotel Chinese restaurant at the end of walking street is very good.

( MM, Hong Kong has some of the finest Chinese Restaurants in the world. If you go again PM me and I'll point you in the right direction )

That Chinese place near Royal Garden is a branch of a famous place in Bangkok Chinatown. A friend of mine treated me to the full blown sharks fin soup there, politically incorrect. but good. I don't think the Pattaya location is as good as the Bangkok one. For example I tried their fried rice which I expected to be real fancy Hong Kong Chinese style; instead it was Thai style fried rice which would have been better at a street restaurant for 30 baht.

Speaking of Chinese, could someone who knows British style Chinese and also knows American style Chinese (I personally like Chinese style Chinese) explain what British style Chinese is? I know about British style Indian.

I flew into Thailand from Hong Kong a few months ago and was so disappointed with Chinese food in Hong Kong. Many of the restaurants there serve Japanese cuisine and it was so difficult to find a decent Chinese restaurant.

In Pattaya, I tried the Chinese restaurant on Second Road, right next door to the Royal Garden Shopping Arcade. It was one of the best Chinese meals I have eaten. Their English style sweet and sour pork is to die for. The owner appears to be Chinese and his menu is far superior to anything I found in HK. It is a little pricey for Pattaya standard but worth paying the extra for the food quality and taste.

I'm sorry that I don't know the name of this place but I'm sure somebody in Pattaya will be able to supply the name.

if that is the place that advertise Shark Fin soup.

They will never get one baht from me.

and don't give a sod how good the food is. :o

anyone know the name of this place?

its only been around about a year.

I draw the line at bird saliva soup. My gourmet friend wanted to spring for it, I think it was like 1000 baht for the soup, and well, I couldn't help but taste it. I have had the cheap imitations before, but this was the real thing. Happily, I can live without it. but can see why people who grew up with it like it.

Their customers seem largely to be Russians swimming in money spending like drunken sailors.

Edited by Jingthing

That Chinese place near Royal Garden is a branch of a famous place in Bangkok Chinatown. A friend of mine treated me to the full blown sharks fin soup there, politically incorrect. but good. I don't think the Pattaya location is as good as the Bangkok one. For example I tried their fried rice which I expected to be real fancy Hong Kong Chinese style; instead it was Thai style fried rice which would have been better at a street restaurant for 30 baht.

Speaking of Chinese, could someone who knows British style Chinese and also knows American style Chinese (I personally like Chinese style Chinese) explain what British style Chinese is? I know about British style Indian.

its mostly Hong Kong style

served in the uk.

Edited by plasticpig

MM, Hong Kong has some of the finest Chinese Restaurants in the world. If you go again PM me and I'll point you in the right direction

Thanks for the offer but I won't be hurrying back there. :o

We tramped all over HK and looked at every menu in every restaurant we passed. In the back streets away from the touristy trail, the menus weren't in English so we gave them a miss.

We did manage to find a couple of Chinese restaurants where the food was reasonably priced and quite good but not as good as some Chinese restaurants I have eaten at in other countries.

We ate at one exclusive and expensive restaurant which was upstairs in a large building (can't remember the name) it was packed with Chinese diners (normally a good sign) but the food and the small servings weren't worth the money we paid.

Plasticpig, I agree with you that slaughtering sharks for their fins should never be supported, but if people don't order this soup there will be no demand for it and the sharks will be happy.

If you're not willing to eat at any restaurant just because they serve this soup, you could miss out on the other good things on the menu.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

I draw the line at bird saliva soup. My gourmet friend wanted to spring for it, I think it was like 1000 baht for the soup, and well, I couldn't help but taste it. I have had the cheap imitations before, but this was the real thing. Happily, I can live without it. but can see why people who grew up with it like it.

Their customers seem largely to be Russians swimming in money spending like drunken sailors.

Bird saliva soup ? ,. reminds me of a monty python sketch, " garnised with larks vomit " :o

I've tried most of them and find the one about 50 metres beyond Simon's Fish & Chips on the right coming past the Hanuman statue to be the best tasting and best value. Raj opposite excite seems to have a bit of a Thai twist to the flavours, which I find to be OK put a bit pricey not bad though. Indian by Nature is over rated in my opinion. I am desperate to find a decent Chinky though!! I'm sure it would be a gold mine if someone opened one and did a good job of it.

I hve eaten at this indian restaurant and found it good but being american what do i know about english indian, i like ali baba too.

my english cousin, an aging rock star, who eats it all over the world and is really into indian food always eats at that one and loves it

my friend recommends the little indian boothnext door to the hideaway bar in the jomtien complex. the boss at the hideaway gushes over the tandoori prawns i am told. my friend eats from there all the time and travels from Bang Saray to get it!

Is that the one that recently relocated from the corner of the parking lot on the other side of the Theprasit t-junction? It was really good according to a couple of British-born Indians I met last year.

On the hit list if it is!

Best Indian in Pattaya is India Palace New Plaza soi 8.

For reals?

Color me skeptical. I wonder if they might have gotten better.

I visited soon after they opened last year and had a very bad bland meal. Everything about it was wrong, small portions, no taste, not done well at all. I even spoke to the friendly manager to suggest some changes. There was a group of Brits in there who overheard, and when leaving they grumbled to me, the food is lousy! Not news. So either they got much better or another one of those there's no accounting for taste phenoms ...

my friend recommends the little indian boothnext door to the hideaway bar in the jomtien complex. the boss at the hideaway gushes over the tandoori prawns i am told. my friend eats from there all the time and travels from Bang Saray to get it!

Absolutely correct.

Delicious!!!!

i have to disagree with you, last night i put it to the test. i sat in the hideaway, ordered a cool beer, then ordered chicken tikka masala, onion nan, pilau rice, poppadoms and it was absolutely delicious. the bill was 270 baht and no gandhis revenge this morning (thank goodness). it is highly recommended to all.

Why go Chinese or Indian in Thailand? Brit Indian is 90% Bangladesh anyway, go to India and try the real thing, also Shanghai has some great Chinese nosh

Exactly - I have had some great Indian meals in India (and in Singapore too)

A lot of different versions of Chinese too in Singapore - it is a bloody big place after all with lots of regional food which can be so different.

I do like the British style still though for old times sake but I have moved on now - I would eat it like I still have beans on toast once in a while and other "Comfort food"

I had a great "Puri Set" lunch the other day in Jurong while visiting one of our sites. Two large puri's with tarka dal, coconut chutney, vegetable curry and another side dish - all for less than 1 GBP (2.50 Sing Dollars)

i have to disagree with you, last night i put it to the test. i sat in the hideaway, ordered a cool beer, then ordered chicken tikka masala, onion nan, pilau rice, poppadoms and it was absolutely delicious. the bill was 270 baht and no gandhis revenge this morning (thank goodness). it is highly recommended to all.

Are you a partner in the bar

Had an Indian delivered last night from Ahaar.

Onion Bahji - just ok, yet too find a good bahji in Thailand

Chicken tikka - Good, well cooked with just a little bit of charring as a good tikka should have

Chicken tikka masala - not good, very bland sauce with no hint of spiciness. Sauce tasted like it had been made with old teabags.

Naans - just OK, most times I make my own Naans from the frozen Garlic Naans they sell in Foodland but I don't microwave them as suggested on the packet, I warm them in a hot frying pan without oil until the bottom gets crisp, better than any resteraunt Naan in LOS IMHO.

Pilau rice - well they can't get that wrong can they.

Definetely won't eat masala from here again.

Is that the one that recently relocated from the corner of the parking lot on the other side of the Theprasit t-junction? It was really good according to a couple of British-born Indians I met last year.

On the hit list if it is!

I believe that it has relocated to Soi Buakhao - not sure where in the soi though. Used to eat there at the old location and found it generally pretty good. Cheap as chips as well.

DM

Thats exactly what I ordered and it was indeed delicious!!! And cheap! Torrenova what did you hace that was screwed up?

Sorry, I am confused here. Was that from the Hideaway menu or from the Tikka place next door to the Hideaway?

Are you a partner in the bar

no, only been there about half a dozen times, i live in North Pattaya on the Dark Side

Sorry, I am confused here. Was that from the Hideaway menu or from the Tikka place next door to the Hideaway?

the tikka place next door, is that what its called?

I found this on another forum. It's a bit out of town but reportedly is very UK-Indian.

"The Captains Restaurant / Nyhavn at Hat Sai Torng or Golden Beach as it is known by the few farangs that go there. The husband is from Pakistan and expects his Indian food to taste d*mn good. His wife is a Thai muslim, you want Indian food from a restaurant that tastes like UK stuff then you got to travel a bit out of Pattaya and hit Hat Sai Torng."

"Hat Sai Torng is about 15kms from Pattaya heading towards Sattahip, before you get to The Ambassador Hotel you will see signs for the Pinnacle hotel, turn right & follow the road down, and about 100meters before the beach there are some shophouses on the right, it has 2 names for some reason, The Captains Restaurant, and Nyhaven, does Thai food, international food, and most importantly, Indian food, also if you go down to the beach there are a couple of nice bars and restaurants actually on the beach."

I will have to check it out myself!

I went to check out this place today..........I couldn't find it!!

I found the Pinnacle OK, although it's the Pinnacle Resort, not hotel.

Found the shop-houses, now this is where I might have made a cock-up!

There was one eaterie there. I'll call it an eaterie because I could see it had food, but no way would I have called it a restaurant. It didn't have any signs, either in English or Thai that referred to the Captains Restaurant or Nyhavn although I must admit there was some sort of sign saying Thai and international food.

We asked 2 lots of Thai people working at the Pinnacle Resort and even asked some falangs who were walking past the shop houses. I presumed they were staying somewhere near as they had just come from the beach and still had their bathing suits on. No-one had heard of the place!

Now the place I saw could have been this Captains Restaurant, I could kick myself for not going in to ask but my wife kept urging me to stop and ask elsewhere.

I'm not trying to say it doesn't exist but they do need to put some kind of a sign out.

If anyone does find this restaurant or knows of it's whereabouts, could they please post and let us know.

Oh! and tell us if the food is as good as we've been led to believe! :o:D

I still cannot understand why anyone would want to eat British Chinese when there is so much genuine Chinese in this country, I have been to China and eaten in Shanghai and Beijing as well as some small villages it is the real thing not a British bad copy.

The same with Indian which in fact in UK is generally from Bangladesh the curry there and here is made from the natural spices not a Brit badly copied tin or jar.

Apart from that there are so many Thai variations of dishes from those two nations that are as good if not better