• Songkhla
    • Pattani
    • Narathiwat
    • Andaman side
    • Samui, Phangan, Tao
    • Pattalung
    • Yala

This poll is closed to new votes

I think something perhaps is lost in translation, I've never heard of the perception that southern Thais are unfriendly. Among Thai people from the rest of the country,southern Thais in fact have a reputation to be rather "fierce" (or "doo" in Thai "ดุ").

Not only have I heard them described as being unfriendly, but many Thais from other regions often go so far as to call folks form NST "jai dam". Nothing lost in the translation there, eh! :o

My wife calls NST province bandit country. When driving down to Pak Phanang from Ranong she ignores my caustic remarks, I make in the pickup until we reach NST. Then she starts. "This isn't Ranong, they will kill you here." :o Only if they can lip read. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well I would like to say something in defence of the people fron NST. Ive only lived here for 2 tears now but in that time I have not had anything but politeness and helpfuless from the people I have met. In my village everyone helps everyone else especially in the days leading up to any sort of celebration. If NST is so bad why do 44% of farangs stay here. If you guys want a hectic social life go live in PATTAYA

The industrial strength unfriendliness of the place.

Once upon a time I thought that was a misnomer, now I know better. Southern Thai's, esp. Khon 'Khon, are not nearly as friendly as other places in LoS. This is, of course, something which is patently denied by Thais from the area. They also claim that Northerns aren't truly friendly at all. Instead, they are insincere masters of deception only looking for money.

Daren, how long have you lived in Nakhon?? how many years did you live in Northern Thailand to be able to make such a comment?? I would like to know?? Also how many Thai friends do you have (Not the Thai beer buddies) ?? Cheers

I've heard it said by some ordinary thais from BKK and Isaan of the dangers of Nakon Si Thammarat and that the police are not to be trusted. Not quite in the same league as 'bad' though.

As the OP I am asking for a poll of Southerners and where do you live.

If you would like to discuss prejudices held against NST people, or Southerners in general then please do so in another thread, thanks :o

G'day...

I am an ex-southerner... lived in NST for under a year...

Then in Khlong Ngae, south of Hat Yai, close to Padang Besar, for a year...

Left for greener pastures... but still haunt the southern Thailand forum (occasionally) for good gossip???

My present location...

Puerto Baquerizo, San Cristobal, Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

0^ 53' 44.00" SOUTH

89^ 36' 31.30" WEST

GoogleEarth this for my beach front residence

An idyllic tropical island dream world... as far away from southern Thailand as anywhere on the face of the earth...

About 19,000km... no matter if you travel N, S, E, W.