Wii For Dummies

bankei

Hi

I am currently living in Japan and have purchased a Wii console and a few games.

Being a dummy, could someone please explain to me, in simple terms, how I go about making the console play copied games?

I will be going to Bangkok next week, so can I just buy a chip while I am there, or does it have to be fitted?

What are the game prices like in Thailand, for both the proper games and the copies? In Japan they are costing about 5,000 yen = A$50 = B1500.

Thanks for your help

Bankei

To make it play copied games, you get it chipped, using the "wiikey". You could do it yourself, but you'd need special tools (like a three-pronged screwdriver).

Yes, you can have it chipped in Bangkok in places like MBK/Chinatown. Process usually takes around an hour, costs around 900 baht.

For prices, see:

www.super-rich.com

www.gcorners.com

When did you buy your Wii? I was in Japan last month and also brought a Wii back with me. It's now being modified by a shop I always use in MBK but the bad news is that the recent models like mine require a different type of Modchip that is closer to Bht 2500 in cost. (GCorners shop at Victory Monument comfirmed similar cost).

But it's OK as the total cost (6500 baht for Wii in Japan + 2500 mod cost) is still cheaper than buying the ones available here in Bangkok (circa 11,000 baht)

Hope this helps.

Is there any difference between the japanese wii and the US wii other than menu language? Aren't all games available in Bangkok as either Japanese version or US version so that shouldn't make a difference.

Wouldn't it make sense to buy the cheaper one?

Also, any word on a future version of the wii being able to play DVDs? I heard it may happen a while back.

When did you buy your Wii? I was in Japan last month and also brought a Wii back with me. It's now being modified by a shop I always use in MBK but the bad news is that the recent models like mine require a different type of Modchip that is closer to Bht 2500 in cost. (GCorners shop at Victory Monument comfirmed similar cost).

But it's OK as the total cost (6500 baht for Wii in Japan + 2500 mod cost) is still cheaper than buying the ones available here in Bangkok (circa 11,000 baht)

Hope this helps.

Hi Alchemist

I just bought mine a week ago. Cost was 25,000Yen which works out to be around 7,239B.

I was thinking of buying another one in Bangkok, chipped, to use in Australia, but I didn't realise they were so expensive there (11,900 for a Japanese one here http://www.gcorners.com/product/wii/wii.htm). It is hard to get a grasp of the multiple currencies.

It will still work out a bit cheaper buying in Japan and getting the chip in Bangkok. Thanks for pointing it out.

Does anyone know if a Japanese NTSC console play on an Australian PAL TV?