Recent Visa Runs To Mae Sai

Petruchio

This newbie would appreciate a little help. I have a one year Non Immigrant "O" Visa with 4 re-enries that I got in the U. S. A. I am not married to a Thai, and am on my first 90 days with 3 days to go before they are up.

I was told and have been thinking that it is a simple thing to do a "visa run" to Mae Sai - just go to Thai Immigration there, get a re-enry slip, cross into Burma, get passport stamped, and come back.

Now someone has told me there are other things required, such as having a bunch of money, etc.

Would some of you kindly give me the straight skinny?? Time is getting close for me and suddenly I am desperate.

Thanks, Petruchio

This newbie would appreciate a little help. I have a one year Non Immigrant "O" Visa with 4 re-enries that I got in the U. S. A. I am not married to a Thai, and am on my first 90 days with 3 days to go before they are up.

I was told and have been thinking that it is a simple thing to do a "visa run" to Mae Sai - just go to Thai Immigration there, get a re-enry slip, cross into Burma, get passport stamped, and come back.

Now someone has told me there are other things required, such as having a bunch of money, etc.

Would some of you kindly give me the straight skinny?? Time is getting close for me and suddenly I am desperate.

Thanks, Petruchio

Hi, I am on the same visa as you. All you require is your passport, 2 passport photos, and the relevant fees. I normally go to Cambodia which is 1,000 baht entry fee, and 100 to leave. I once forgot my photos, and they said no ploblem, pay extra 100 baht (they didn't take any pictures btw).

You do not need proof of onward journey (30 day visa runners do), or any other documents.

I have read something about you should have at least 20k on you, but never been asked for this in all the time I have been living, and previusly holidaying, here. I think the 20k rule applies to visa exemptions (30 day stamp), but never seems to be enforced.

Make sure you check your stamp AT THE DESK, when you re-enter Thailand. Had a few friends who were only stamped in for 30 days, when they went to immigration after the event to try and get it sorted, they were told it was their fault for not checking.

This is a minor hassle that we have to endure every 90 days. Remember immigration are trying to make life hard for the visa exemption guys, not for people with legit visas like you and I.

Thanks, Petruchio

Petruch... just go to Mai Sae, you don't need any photos, take 500B for the Myanmar immigration. The sign in Thai immigration say you need to show money on reentry but they only ask the people looking for visa exemptions and then very rarely.

A wise expat always has half a dozen passport photos tucked in his wallet anyway.

Thanks, Petruchio

It is wise to have 10000 baht on you. If you look respectable - tidy shirt and trousers they will never ask to see the cash. The point of it to discourage scruffy vagrants. I've wonder what one would do if they didn't let you back into Thailand! Passport only necessary at Mae Sai not extra photos. Good luck.

People who are" refused entry" into Thailand at Mae Sai are given 7 days "visa" then must leave the country. Must get a visa from Embassy or Consulate to return.

We got a tourist visa for 60 days in Vientiane. Does anyone know if we can just cross the Mae Sai border after this for 3 times (3x30 days), or do we have to go to Laos (Vientiane) again and again apply for a (tourist)visa?

People who are" refused entry" into Thailand at Mae Sai are given 7 days "visa" then must leave the country. Must get a visa from Embassy or Consulate to return.

We got a tourist visa for 60 days in Vientiane. Does anyone know if we can just cross the Mae Sai border after this for 3 times (3x30 days), or do we have to go to Laos (Vientiane) again and again apply for a (tourist)visa?

You can renew the tourist visa for 30 days at a Thai immigration office on payment of a fee. After that you are entitled to three 30 day visa exemptions that can be obtained by crossing any border, for example, at Mai Sae every thirty days.

Petruchio,

If you have a 1 year visa and your first 90 days are up all you have to do is to go to the immigration office in Mae Sai and fill out some paperwork reporting your whereabouts.....no money is needed no picture is needed and no trip to Burma is needed.....at least this is how my one year retirement visa is handled....I think all one year visas with 90 day reporting requirements work the same way but I could be wrong.

I advise posting your question in the visa forum as there will be more expertise there I think.

Chownah

A visa entry requires exit of Thailand to obtain a new 90 day stay - believe chownah has a one year extension of stay from immigration and is reporting his address every 90 days.

What Consulate in the US is issuing four entry non immigrant O visas and at what cost? Normally they are single entry or multi entry (unlimited).

The official requirement is 20,000 baht for entry with a visa (one person) or 40,000 baht for family. As said it is not normally asked.

You do not obtain a re-entry permit if you have a four entry or multi entry visa - a re-entry permit only keeps a current permitted to stay until alive.

• 2 weeks later...

My sincere thanks to all the posters who gave me helpful information on my Non-Innigrant "O" visa with 4 re-entries.

In answer to a post, I always get this type visa in the U. S. A. at one of the 16 Honorary Consuls which is near my stomping grounds there - price has gone up and is now $150 for one year and 4 re-entries. These can be gotten all over the States at any of these Honorary Consuls and at any of the Thai Embassy places so I am told. At the Honorary Consul where I go, nothing is needed except the $150, and is a ten minute experience.

All the nice posts were helpful, and I went to Mae Sai and got re-entered with no hitches - a painless experience thanks to all of you, and I spent a night there in a nice, clean Guest Hotel for 200 b and enjoyed the shopping and atmosphere (no need for A/C 300b for a room since it is so cool this time of year).

I will note however, that I went before the post that said I only had to go to the Thai Immigration office there, give my address and pay no money. Next time I will try this for sure.

Thanks again,

Petruchio

1. You will not receive a non immigrant O visa without having valid reasons and paperwork to prove it at any official Thai Consulate in the USA and very few Honorary Consulates will issue such a visa without paperwork.

2. You appear to have a multi entry non immigrant O visa which allows unlimited number of entries during its validity.

3. You can not obtain a new 90 day entry by reporting to Immigration - you must exit Thailand, enter another country and then return - as you just did. What chownah was talking about is 90 day address reports for those on one year extensions of stay from immigration.