Tipping In Thailand

Axel

Can someone explain to a Yorkie what the word "tipping" means?

:D

Yeah, that's what I still try to figure out.

Most be similar to going to church on Sunday and taking a fiver for yourself, when they pass the box around. :o

meadish sweetball wrote:

One caveat: Check bills in hotels and such-like, as it is possible that "service charge" is already added to the bill. This means that you are under absolutely NO obligation to tip - this means that the tip is included in the price, and will be added to a common fund which is divided according to a set percentage scheme.

After all....there are actually no obligation to tip... :o

I pay my bill, and the service i attended to get, i got allready.

I seldom, or never use hotels, so my tipping there aint much.

Taxi....i never tip.

Sometimes if the beer is ecceptionally good, i can tip a 20 to a weitress.

The money is mine, and all mine.

Yesterday I went to a French restaurant, bloody expensive. Owner is a French gay who enjoys life here .....

I got in and he didn't even say "hello", the service was good for Thai restaurant, but not for french standards .....

I tipped 6 Baht on a Bill of 4000 Baht (the total was 3994).

TIPS in LOS are U2U (up to you). They have to understand that tipping is extra money paid for extra service. Average service is ZERO!!!

One caveat: Check bills in hotels and such-like, as it is possible that "service charge" is already added to the bill. This means that you are under absolutely NO obligation to tip - this means that the tip is included in the price, and will be added to a common fund which is divided according to a set percentage scheme.

Some years ago a collegue of mine went with friends to a medium quality restaurant in London. The service, he said, was downright attrocious; late meals, cold food, arrogant staff. When he received the bill (some Sterling 250.00) he checked and noticed that a service charge had been already added. He paid by credit card and where the space is allocated for adding a tip, he entered minus Sterling 20.00 and completed the reduced total. There was, of course, considerable consternation at this and eventually the manager was called. In the end my collegue (Scot by the way :o ), won out, much to the disgust of the staff.

Some years ago a collegue of mine went with friends to a medium quality restaurant in London. The service, he said, was downright attrocious; late meals, cold food, arrogant staff. When he received the bill (some Sterling 250.00) he checked and noticed that a service charge had been already added. He paid by credit card and where the space is allocated for adding a tip, he entered minus Sterling 20.00 and completed the reduced total. There was, of course, considerable consternation at this and eventually the manager was called. In the end my collegue (Scot by the way :D ), won out, much to the disgust of the staff.

So maybe if you challenge an included service charge, you can get it nulled. Like its a suggestion, same as the mints they put down. You can take them or leave them.

This needs looking into. On the rare occasion I go into Hard Rock, they slap you a service charge(10% i think), then tax. But the menu dosen't include either. Thats how they get you. :o

Tipping in Thailand is not an automatic thing like in the USA. I tend to give about 10% in restaurants, and up to 15% for exceptional service. Where they put a 10% service charge on the bill, I usually add nothing if paying my credit card.

I do tend to give tips to taxi drivers, unless they get lost, because they have such a hard job. However, if my TG pays, she usually waits for all her change. Motor cycle taxis tend to get nothing extra from me, because they seem to mark up the fare for me anyway.

Maids get something in their hand early in my stay at a hotel. In bars, I just add a few baht unless someone has rendered a special service.

I normally give them what comes closest in notes....... Hate all the ###### change  :D

Me too, but The Thais have wised up to this and are more likely to give you as much change in coins as they can :D

If you are really unlucky,You might get change for 500 baht instead of a 1000 :o

Caveat emptor!!

Went to New York a few years ago and the when the barman (owner) slapped the change on the bar and looked at me hoping I'd leave it, no hellos or thankyous, I was happy to deposit every last cent in my pocket, and then stayed in the same bar all night and made sure the prick never got a cent. Why is it obligatory to tip in the States? I know waiters/waitresses are on low wages, not our problem - get another job, but if they do a good job you shouldn't feel obliged to have to leave them 15 or 20%. Up to you, surely.

I live in Chiang Mai and have been going to the Kafe (bar/restaurant) for years and have always tipped. So when they decided to slap a beer on the bill that I had previously returned because it was off, no more tips. Can't expect a tip if they don't look after their regulars!

Tipping a street vendor isn't the norm in Thailand. You'll very rarely see a Thai do it. 10% max anywhere else, but don't feel obliged and if that beer's off, zero.

What's this about Sydey being the No1 city? The harbour area is ok but the rest of the city and outskirts are an unsightly urban sprawl. Not putting down the Aussies but if the beaches were'nt there it would be a real loser. Perth, on the west coast, knocks the socks off Sydney, especially the suburb of Freemantle - bit of history and character at least and not full of weirdos.

Perth, on the west coast, knocks the socks off Sydney, especially the suburb of Freemantle - bit of history and character at least and not full of weirdos.

at a few regular places I normally give 20baht plus the change, sometimes when I am feeling generous I will press 20baht into some hands.(the happier I am the higher the tip)

with taxis it depends, sometimes round up to the 5baht , the 10, the 50 the 100. If they have pissed me off I wait till I get every last satang.

I just think if I was earning the same money as them I wouldn 't tip, cause I couldn't afford to.

west australia is full of closet poms, pretty close to weirdo.

no kiwi cities...haha

supprised at bangkok coming in at #3

Seems I am not too far off.

Usually Baht 20 plus odd coins for bills below B 500.

Baht 40 up to 1000-bill.

30-40 for parking/watching my car.

Double the amount in hotel-outlets. Probably a bit more, if I add the tip to the credit-card, as the owner has to pay the fees on it (?)

Generally, I would not do US-style tipping in LoS, why spoil the market?

And, as I said, I do not want to over=tip, which imo is as bad as to give too little.