You Can Open A Bank Account

It is not only about a branch.

I have been told "yes" and "no" lots of time from the SAME branch of Siam C. Bank in Banglamphoo.

One day yes, next week no, 1 more month yes again and 1 month later no again and so on.... for about 10 years...

Sometimes I take freinds who want to open accounts too and it is really like a lottery.

I opened my first account in 1997 and still now sometimes when I ask I am refused to open new one in the same branch.

That s really freakish

I'm slightly bemused at pkrv's toils in opening a bank account. I have the same passbook account with ATM card at the same Bangkok Bank Head Office, which I opened nearly 2 years ago. I simply turned up, presented my passport (with 30-day visit stamp), and they accepted my missis' family's address in Bangkape as we had none of our own at the time. Including a short wait on the ticket-queuing system, it took about 45 minutes.

I can't see the point of getting your passport certified by the embassy, if you're presenting the original government-issued document.

It's not difficult to get that basic passbook account, whatever your immigration status, and I can transfer holiday funds or larger amounts when required very cheaply within about 5 days via an internet bank.

The more difficult thing is to open an account with internet access and debit card etc without a "work permit", but judging by previous threads the most amenable and user-friendly bank seems to be Kasikorn, whom I will go to when I really need these facilities

I'm slightly bemused at pkrv's toils in opening a bank account. I have the same passbook account with ATM card at the same Bangkok Bank Head Office, which I opened nearly 2 years ago. I simply turned up, presented my passport (with 30-day visit stamp), and they accepted my missis' family's address in Bangkape as we had none of our own at the time. Including a short wait on the ticket-queuing system, it took about 45 minutes.

I can't see the point of getting your passport certified by the embassy, if you're presenting the original government-issued document.

It's not difficult to get that basic passbook account, whatever your immigration status, and I can transfer holiday funds or larger amounts when required very cheaply within about 5 days via an internet bank.

The more difficult thing is to open an account with internet access and debit card etc without a "work permit", but judging by previous threads the most amenable and user-friendly bank seems to be Kasikorn, whom I will go to when I really need these facilities

Have a bank account with BBK since many years,Head office in Silom,but had a lot of problems with my local Branch,did open another account with SCB,the fryendly manager promised me a Credit Card,no way,that Card (Visa) is not accepted outside Thailand;many explanations why,but no use.

Tried again with Kasikorn,accunt yes,no problem,but Credit Card refused by the Main Office without explanation.

Do you think,as I do,that the Thai banks are 30+ years back in their practices and really need protection from the Central Bank of Thailand.

Or they go bankrupt! :o

Errrrrr mate two,to or too years ago is not the same as today, is it? Try it and see - report back to this thread I will show you mine but I doubt if you will show yours :o

I opened an account with the Bank of Ayudhya in Hua Hin a couple of years ago with an entry stamp only, and whilst it is only a savings account I was given an atm and internet access.

I am currently living in Bangkok with an O visa, I asked to transfer the account to a local branch, Ekkamai, and was told I needed a work permit and Hua Hin shouldn't have opened an account - though she didn't try to close the account and gave me a new visa debit card.

As has been said many previous times previously the rules seem to have changed over the last couple of years, and the decsions still rest branch to branch and even officail to official.

I just wish I could get a Thai credit card, it's frustrating travelling without one, car companies understadably say "if your bank will not trust you with a credit card, why should we trust you with one of our cars"

I opened an account with the Bank of Ayudhya in Hua Hin a couple of years ago with an entry stamp only, and whilst it is only a savings account I was given an atm and internet access.

I am currently living in Bangkok with an O visa, I asked to transfer the account to a local branch, Ekkamai, and was told I needed a work permit and Hua Hin shouldn't have opened an account - though she didn't try to close the account and gave me a new visa debit card.

As has been said many previous times previously the rules seem to have changed over the last couple of years, and the decsions still rest branch to branch and even officail to official.

I just wish I could get a Thai credit card, it's frustrating travelling without one, car companies understadably say "if your bank will not trust you with a credit card, why should we trust you with one of our cars"

If you have a fixed term deposit with Kasikorn, and you have a savings account

with a healthy long term balance, then they will issue a credit card(s) with

no requirement for a work permit.

In fact when I opened a one year fixed deposit for some funds I had no immediate need of

the bank 'invited' me to take a credit card and even offered to waive the card fee as an incentive.

Naka.

Edited by naka

My Wife and I, with non Immigration visas, opened a joint savings account with TMB. We had no problems and no dramas. Only stipulation with TMB was no ATM card with joint account. Now I have a Long stay Visa (retiree). No dramas getting a letter from our bank when it is time for visa renewal.

Dick

If you have a fixed term deposit with Kasikorn, and you have a savings account

with a healthy long term balance, then they will issue a credit card(s) with

no requirement for a work permit.

In fact when I opened a one year fixed deposit for some funds I had no immediate need of

the bank 'invited' me to take a credit card and even offered to waive the card fee as an incentive.

Naka.

I don't doubt your words,but I was advised by the bank manager (Kasikorn),to ask for the C.C. in writing by the Head Office,in Bangok,that promptly refused my request,without telling why!I have a substantial sum in the account and use it daily.No way! :o

Try Amex or Bank of Ayudhya for a credit card. You obviously have to provide at least six months of banking history in Thailand, a work permit in my case and a decent level of income but it's certainly not impossible to get one.

Try Amex or Bank of Ayudhya for a credit card. You obviously have to provide at least six months of banking history in Thailand, a work permit in my case and a decent level of income but it's certainly not impossible to get one.

The request for a work permit make it impossible! At least for farangs,for the majority of Thais,the other 2 requests! :o

The income requirements are lower for Thai nationals. I seem to remember 15,000 baht per month being the lower limit for one or two cards, whereas you need around 60,000 baht or more as a non-Thai to be considered. I believe the WP requirement for non-Thais is now mandatory. From the card issuers point of view a WP does give some degree of security and shows you at least have regular income to support repayments.

The other option which was being offered by Bangkok Bank (and probably others too) last time I checked was a secured Visa card, where the amount of credit available is tied to funds in an account. I know it's not ideal but if you have that 'substantial' sum sitting around then it might allow you to have the convenience of a credit card.

I hope you get sorted. Good luck !

The income requirements are lower for Thai nationals. I seem to remember 15,000 baht per month being the lower limit for one or two cards, whereas you need around 60,000 baht or more as a non-Thai to be considered. I believe the WP requirement for non-Thais is now mandatory. From the card issuers point of view a WP does give some degree of security and shows you at least have regular income to support repayments.

The other option which was being offered by Bangkok Bank (and probably others too) last time I checked was a secured Visa card, where the amount of credit available is tied to funds in an account. I know it's not ideal but if you have that 'substantial' sum sitting around then it might allow you to have the convenience of a credit card.

I hope you get sorted. Good luck !

Thank you for the information,next time I'' ll try the secured card.Should not be a problem,but T.i.T. :o

No ATM card? Normally both with a joint account receive an ATM card.

Just to confirm the account we opened was a joint account with Bangkok Bank. One person got the debit card the other an ATM card. A debit card should serve just as well as a credit card in most circumstances, though obviously funds are immediately deducted from your account.

Why did you not follow the posters' advice who said they easily opened an account at Kasikorn no hassle and got a VISA debit card as well? By all accounts I know of it seems the most farang friendly bank. My friend opened an account there with debit card for only 700 baht plus a deposit for the card which was a couple of hundred baht. And he got internet banking. No brainer, really. For him, I mean.

• 3 years later...

My Wife and I, with non Immigration visas, opened a joint savings account with TMB. We had no problems and no dramas. Only stipulation with TMB was no ATM card with joint account. Now I have a Long stay Visa (retiree). No dramas getting a letter from our bank when it is time for visa renewal.

Dick

No dramas of course, since that is a service banks normally provide for their A/c holders, the time factor is 15 mins, and the cost of the letter is 100 Bt, yes, the bank's letter (in addition to the updated bank A/c booklet) is all that is required for retirement visa renewal, and the cost of the letter (100 bt) is a great deal cheaper than the Embassy letter, but one needs of course the 800 K A/c deposit to follow this route.

i opened account at Kbank sukhumvit soi4 branch in Nov. no problem only required a bangkok address but could not be a hotel. if they had asked for all that info as posted above I would have walked out and to a different branch or bank. Also recieved a atm card and internet banking wam-bam thank you mam.

I opened up a account at Bangkok Bank , Got A debit Card. Had tryed 3 times and was told no.

I wanted Bangkok bank as they have a office in New Your and money transfer would not be internationl. Is local cost less to tranfer. Any way I had my local banker In the US sent them a wire as I was a long time client, They told me they never got it. So i pulled a copy out of my pocket , gave it to them , they asked it they could keep the copy and opened the account for me ,Debit card and all, The card has a 10 year from now date on it,

Are you sure that a transfer from Bangkok Bank's NY branch to Thailand is charged as a local transfer? I have heard that BBL's international branches are more expensive than other banks to transfer money to Thailand. Is there some fee chart on the internet I couldn't find?

I was told by bangkok Bank Sukumvit last month that I could not open an account without a WP. I have one so it was no big deal..but I am sure there was no way they would open with merely a passport.

Same experience with me and the TMB. When I pointed out that the WP is valid for 1 year and asked them what they do with the account when the WP has expired got no answer.

Often the banks only care whether you have a WP at time of opening the account. One credit card company kept asking me every year to send them the renewed WP (but I think that was in Taiwan, not Thailand).

Edited by tombkk

I was told by bangkok Bank Sukumvit last month that I could not open an account without a WP. I have one so it was no big deal..but I am sure there was no way they would open with merely a passport.

Same experience with me and the TMB. When I pointed out that the WP is valid for 1 year and asked them what they do with the account when the WP has expired got no answer.

Often the banks only care whether you have a WP at time of opening the account. One credit card company kept asking me every year to send them the renewed WP (but I think that was in Taiwan, not Thailand).

More up to date information here, http://www.thaivisa....d/page__st__275 versus this 3 year old thread for those needing to open account.

Edited by beechguy

I opened up a account at Bangkok Bank , Got A debit Card. Had tryed 3 times and was told no.

I wanted Bangkok bank as they have a office in New Your and money transfer would not be internationl. Is local cost less to tranfer. Any way I had my local banker In the US sent them a wire as I was a long time client, They told me they never got it. So i pulled a copy out of my pocket , gave it to them , they asked it they could keep the copy and opened the account for me ,Debit card and all, The card has a 10 year from now date on it,

Are you sure that a transfer from Bangkok Bank's NY branch to Thailand is charged as a local transfer? I have heard that BBL's international branches are more expensive than other banks to transfer money to Thailand. Is there some fee chart on the internet I couldn't find?

Bangkok Bank

Fees

1.Bangkok Bank in New York charges the following fees for funds transfers initiated via the US ACH system:

Transferred Amount Fee

Less than USD 50.00 Free

USD 51.00 - 100.00 USD 3.00

USD 100.01 - 2,000.00 USD 5.00

USD 2,000.01 - 50,000.00 USD 10.00

USD 50,000.01 or more USD 20.00

2.Bangkok Bank in Thailand also charges a fee of 0.25% of the amount in the Baht currency (minimum of THB 200; maximum of THB 500) when the funds are deposited into the recipient's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

More up to date information here, http://www.thaivisa....d/page__st__275 versus this 3 year old thread for those needing to open account.

Thanks for the link. So it looks like the Bank of Thailand does not require the banks to ask for a work permit any more.

This is a three year old thread so early information is way out of date. Readers need to take that into account. This thread is closed as pointless to continue with misinformation. Google or check the banking section for current information.