Investment Visa

You need to contact Immigration in Bangkok for details before you do anything as there are sure to be restrictions on money/condo so you want to be sure. It should be a yearly renewable visa which would not require visa runs (outside of Thailand).

I have seen no information form anyone getting this type of visa yet so be sure to get information directly from immigration. Do not believe this type of visa is offered by MFA (at Consulates) any longer.

thank you george for your reply

do you know if there is anyway i could check this out for 100 %

so basically the only benefit of putting a condo in your own name would be if you didnt trust your partner..........

i understand that you can inherit a condo and if you have been with your partner for a long time it really doesnt matter whos name it is in

especially if she has a lot more money than you anyway

thanks for the advice

Another caveat. Even if the condo buying investment visa was available, it might be very unwise to buy a condo just for the purpose of getting this visa.

Why?

The rules could change and then you might not be grandfathered. For example, buy condo, get visa for two years, then such visa extension reason is either stopped, or the amount is raised to 10 million baht. Result, no more visa, and you might own a condo that you can't live in anymore that could be hard to sell without a loss. In some ways, this idea makes the Elite Card look good. :o

This particular one year extension type does not exist anylonger. It was scrapped in 2003. as we are informed.

I hate to disagree with you George, but it still exists. It is not a visa, but a one year extension on a an existing non-immigrant visa that is renewable after each year. It is based on the investment of a condominium investment or purchase of government bonds totalling not less than 3 million Thai Baht. The last correspondence I had on this issue was with Pol.Lt.Col.Chalermpong at Immigration Division 3 on Tuesday 18 May 2004. He assured me that is indeed a valid visa extension if the proper paperwork is submitted. He can be emailed through a link at www.imm3police.go.th.

The items are:

1. The application of a visa extension (TM 7). 2. Copy of passport. 3. Certificate

of financial transferring. 4. Certificate of time deposit from government bank

( This is for bond purchases). 5. Copy of purchase govt. bonds which is issued by

govt. official. 6. Copy of official purchase agreement of flat according to assessment value from the land official.

This information can also be found at www.thaiimmigration.com.

As you are married to a Thai, your are entitled to a one year visa without the investment.

You need to show 400,000 in the bank each year at renewal time, or an income or 40,000 per month.

As you are married to a Thai, your are entitled to a one year visa without the investment.

You need to show 400,000 in the bank each year at renewal time, or an income or 40,000 per month.

This is a very good point. You should not go out and buy a condo just to get the one year extension. The one year extension should just be considered a perk

or benifit to a well thought decision on buying a condo beforehand. like Astral has pointed out, there are cheaper easier ways to do it. For the person who is willing to invest a chunk of change in Thailand and does not want to commit to marrying a Thai, this visa extension is a worthy option.