Your Opinion, What Is The Most Dangerous Road In Samui

BigC

i reckon the most dangerous road is the one at the 99 cross roads that joins th ghost road with chaweng and the air port and bandon.

there is not much light in the night time. for first time drivers to that spot can be difficult. i missed certain death by a fraction of a second first time i drove down there.

might have changed since ain't been to samui for a few weeks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the part of the ghost rd. leading to ban rak, from that "99" intersection onwards, by night and rain!

but in general, the main ring road is by far the most dangerous - hua thanon - lamai - chaweng - bhoput - mae nam - nathon!

Agreed the ring is probably most dangerous but I think any road, any time (particularly after dark), any place should all be

classified as Bloody hazardous. The drivers do not change habits once off the ring.

Lakeside road in Chaweng behind McDonald.

To good road makes everybody go way to fast. :o

the lake road after heavy rain ,can be 2 inches of sand on the road ,together with the holes is a nightmare on a bike .

Long time after!! Drove there yesterday and its still deserving the name "lakeroad" very well on some places! But the first part of it (coming from ringroad) they seem to be finally making new drains? And the megaholes where marked with some kind of flags so you dont hit them. Off course they mark only the holes that are directly deadly for a biker. The holes that make you smell bad or just give a biker some injuries are still unmarked! Id say its the craproad nr 1 in Samui, at least the one i personaly do everything i can to avoid. Still flooded in some parts when the rest of the island is dry already! Amazing.

"Ghostroad":

Apperently they (dont know who) put a sign up on the "ghoastroad" now (rumor from thaifriend) that says after the rainseason they are gonna rebuild it the whole way from Banrak to Chaweng. Make it wider and concrete all the way and with new drainsystems. Heard its been said a few times over the last decade but if there is a sign up it may be real this time. I have not seen the sign myself though since i never go the whole road. Anyone seen it? Its suppose to be in Thai wrighting apparently.....

Hope is there. Samui express latest issue mention some money being released from the surathani government to rebuild samui roads, since it is a major touristdestination. Lets hope there is something left after the "filter-fingers" along the way and that some of the worst roads get fixed.

the part of the ghost rd. leading to ban rak, from that "99" intersection onwards, by night and rain!

but in general, the main ring road is by far the most dangerous - hua thanon - lamai - chaweng - bhoput - mae nam - nathon!

Some good news! There's a thai language sign up that says they make ghost road wider and new asphalft is expected to come starting after rains are over.

Got to agree on ring road. Its in many parts good condition and then you suddenly get these man holes when your speed would be ok for just for the good section. Additional exitement created by the random dogs, taxis stopping without signaling, trucks that drive like there's no tomorrow and scooter idiots who come to it without looking or drive it on wrong side and finally then add to the twist late night speeders with blood alcohol levels on red...

Lakeside road in Chaweng behind McDonald.

agreed. the junction at the far end is a nightmare - the thai way of taking junctions makes things even worse.

but for actual road quality - the ring road would take some beating. pot-hole city.

there's another road just up from tesco lotus that eventually leads to soi reggae iirc - don't know the name but it's pretty bad too.

I guess there should separate questionaires for A) Worst to drive B ) Most dangerous for people C) Worst for the vehicles D) Most dangerous junction

My list would be: A) Ghost Road B ) Ring Road C) Chaweng Lake Road D) Meanam, Soi 5

My answers would be: A)Chaweng lake road (ok ghost road those 10 meters from team mart to blessing, but road is the whole road for me) B)Agree with poorsucker here. Obviously the road outside msdonalds along the lake has alot of accidents. C) Lakeroad without competition not only in Thailand but also in the world. D) Agree on soi 5 in Maenam. But whats up with the lights? Those are only making it more dangerous! False security.

Ps. sbk, dont understand a few edits you did on smileys?? What does that mean? (sidepoint, just curious). :o

Definitely airport-bandon

That's where I had my accident

Avoiding a motorcycle cutting off the turn

Wrong side of the turn / 2 choices: motorcycle or tree / Chose for the tree / Good bye car ...

Luckily Bandon was nearby :o

i had another acccident on the ghost road whee a lorry over took me on a corner and pushed me in my car off the road. then speed off like nothing. QUALITY!!

i reckon the most dangerous road is the one at the 99 cross roads that joins th ghost road with chaweng and the air port and bandon.

there is not much light in the night time. for first time drivers to that spot can be difficult. i missed certain death by a fraction of a second first time i drove down there.

might have changed since ain't been to samui for a few weeks

what small things can be done to stop these accidents. for example. a simple big thick line at the junction on the ghost road telling people to stop would help. how much for a tin of paint.

I guess there should separate questionaires for A) Worst to drive B ) Most dangerous for people C) Worst for the vehicles D) Most dangerous junction

My list would be: A) Ghost Road B ) Ring Road C) Chaweng Lake Road D) Meanam, Soi 5

My answers would be: A)Chaweng lake road (ok ghost road those 10 meters from team mart to blessing, but road is the whole road for me) B)Agree with poorsucker here. Obviously the road outside msdonalds along the lake has alot of accidents. C) Lakeroad without competition not only in Thailand but also in the world. D) Agree on soi 5 in Maenam. But whats up with the lights? Those are only making it more dangerous! False security.

Ps. sbk, dont understand a few edits you did on smileys?? What does that mean? (sidepoint, just curious). :o

If you type b followed immediately by ) you get this :D instead of a) b ) c) ---so a space in between the b and the ) eliminates the smiley effect :D

None of the roads are that dangerous...........

Its the <deleted> driving on them.....For example.

A) The new Wife who goes from Honda Dream to HUGE truck overnight. :D

:D The Mainland Thai who now encounters multi cultural Island driving.

C) The delivery lorry driver who is now late after several stop offs at Karaoke bars en route from Bangkok.

D) The joyful Tourists who decide to learn how to drive a motorbike or moped whilst on holiday,Of course the conditions are perfect so why the need for a helmet.

E) The As##hole expat who decides that its Ok to drink and drive in Thailand. :D

Thats just some of the reasons I can think off.

Of course my own driving practices are perfect..... :o

every body has mentioned nearly every road on the island. so bascially the whole island is f+++ ed. ha ha i don't know why i love samui can only get better though.

Edited by BigC

....every road on samui-island is between dangerous and deadly

if you don't take care yourself and the other people on the way.

Or i can say, the roads of samui are ok....just the people don't understand

to handle carefully their vehicles (bike/car) and the situations.

because,

many don't have light in the night.. :D (no money for change the lightbulb) 40bt can protect your live

many don't drive on the left side.. :bah:

many don't respect the road-law.. :D

many drivers ignore the speedlimit.. :D

many bikes are overloaded with people.. :o

many vehicles are in a bad condition.. :D

many are drunk or full of drugs while driving.. :bah:

so what we expect with these circumstances?

if you want to die on the road....come to thailand

if you want to increase the chance to die....come to samui and rent a bike

sorry, that's very sad, but it's the reality...

good luck and take care to everybody

Chayaphum

PS: if you want to drive on a perfect road go to Nathon, on the big

crossroad/trafficlight before (leftside is the immigration-office) turn right

and follow the sign "Hin Lad" waterfall....you will be surprised for shure!

What is the Ghost Road? Are there actual ghosts there? Or is it named because it's not on the map?

Soi bond kai. From chaweng lakeroad to ban rak beachroad. It is on most maps. Heard different stories about why its called ghostroad. One story is that a foreign man got killed there some years ago and his ghost is sticking around for revenge, hahaha.

Her's another story as to how the Ghost Road got it's name

Once upon a time there was a fairly popular bar set on Big Buddha Beach called the Beach Pub. Now this bar was run by Sem and Tuk and was located where the Secret Garden bar is today. One night Sem had to go to Chaweng to do something for his sister, and having stayed there until 3 in the morning , started the short trip back by motorbike to Big Buddha beach from Anchor House Chaweng. There was not much traffic in those days so the ride was normally uneventful and straightforward. Or so he thought, as just as he got to the wide open section where you can see the airport, sem saw a figure in the road ahead of him, walking in the same direction towards the Temple at Bangrak. Now in those days the road was sandy and one had to be careful of losing your motorbike tyres in the deep sand which prevailed at certain points on the road, so Sem had to slow right down and come up behind the lady, and wait for her to move aside and let him pass. As Sem grew closer he saw that she was an old lady and had a "Khacheu" on her head with food and offerings to take to the Monks at the temple. Now a "Khacheu" was a round tray which one placed on one's head, but had not been used for many years by the local people , and it was the first time Sem had seen one. Now when Sem was behind her he was already wondering why this old lady was going to the Temple at such an early hour (5 o'clock would have been more like it) and why she had this thing on her head that hadn't been seen for 50 years or more, when she suddenly turned and stood aside to let him pass.........Now what Sem saw was a massive grim smile with red betel nut juice all over her teeth, and big black rings around her eyes and a face covered in powder. This apparition, as Sem is sure it was, gave our poor lad one hel_l of a scare, and you could hear him screaming a mile away over the roar of his motorbike engine as he fled the scene. He tore back to his room at the Beach Pub and told Dah his wife what had happened, and they huddled together in their room with the door firmly locked until the following morning. The next day at the bar the story was recounted several times, as indeed it was for several years afterwards, and people would often ask Sem to recount the story again...."Hey Sem !, Tell us the story of the Ghost Road"...... And that, my friends, is how the Ghost Road got its name, which is still with us today. By the way if you should like to ask Sem about this story, you can find him at the Panya Restaurant at Choengmon beach, where he still lives with Dah, and his lovely children, Bus and Bol. Tuk is still at the Beach Pub at Secret Garden

courtesy of buddhabeach.com

ONE MORE THING... Has anyone ever heard about of someone getting a speeding ticket on Samui??? Just out of curiosity. Helmet tickets sure are given in well known three to four places between 11 AM - 2 PM (except weekends, lol).

And driving without licence.

It was on my driving licence test.

It's 2000 Baht.

Edited by PoorSucker

What is the Ghost Road? Are there actual ghosts there? Or is it named because it's not on the map?

:o it's on the map, and sometimes (just in the highseason) ther's a ghost around this area........

but until today nobody watched him......sadly, i go there many time in the night...but nothing there :D

post-51795-1195746306_thumb.jpg

Chayaphum