Transliteration And Transcription

DavidHouston

[/size][/font]น้ำมันก๊าด น. นํ้ามันชนิดหนึ่งที่ใช้ตามตะเกียง. seems to be "lantern fuel"

น้ำมันดีเซล is diesel fuel

น้ำมันเบนซิน is "benzine"; now the RID is clearly back in the British mode

น้ำมันก๊าด I suspect this is kerosene as we know it.

Still being intrigued to a fault by the question of what is "gas" and "gas", I found the following layman's description of the two in a pdf file from the Cement Thai. This paper is available in its entirety (four pages) at http://www.scimetrology.com/Uploads/05NGV.pdf.

Here is an excerpt and my translation. Any corrections would be appreciated. On today's TV news, the prices of NGV and LPG were announced to be rising so both words were in currency:

ก๊าซเอ็นจีวี (NGV) คือ ก๊าซธรรมชาติที่ใช้กับรถยนต์ คำว่า NGV ย่อมาจากคำว่า Natural Gas for Vehicle โดยก๊าซเอ็นจีวี มีส่วนประกอบหลัก คือ ก๊าซมีเทน ซึ่งมีคุณสมบัติไม่มีสี ไม่มีกลิ่น เบากว่าอากาศ เมื่อเกิดการรั่วไหลก็จะลอยขึ้นด้านบน เ และส่วนใหญ่จะมีการใช้งานอยู่ในสภาพเป็นก๊าซด้วยที่ถูกอัดจนมีความดัน 3000 ปอนด์ต่อตารางนิ้วจึงต้องเก็บไว้ในถังที่มีความแข็งแรงทนทานสูงเป็นพิเศษ บางครั้งเรียกอีกชื่อว่า CNG ซึ่งย่อมาจาก Compressed Natural Gas

"NGV" is natural gas that us used as a vehicular fuel. The word "NGV" is short for "Natural Gas for Vehicle". NGV is make up basically of methane gas which is colorless and odorless and is lighter than air. When it leaks [out of a container] is will drift up [into the atmosphere]. In its normally use it is a gas which is compressed to a pressure of 3,000 pounds per square inch; NGV must therefore be kept in a vessel strong enough to withstand especially high pressures. Sometimes this product is called CNG or Compressed Natural Gas.

ก๊าซแอลพีจี (LPG) มีชื่อเป็นทางการว่าก๊าซปิโตรเลียมเหลว (liquefied petroleum gas: LPG) หรือเรียกย่อๆ ว่าแอลพีจี (LPG) หรือในชื่อที่รู้จักกันทั่วไป คือ แก๊ส หรือ ก๊าซหุงต้ม เป็นผลิตภัณฑ์ที่ได้จากการแยกน้ำมันดิบในโรงกลั่นน้ำมันหรือการแยกก๊าซธรรมชาติ ในโรงแยกก๊าซธรรมชาติ เป็นสารประกอบไฮโดรคาร์บอน ประกอบด้วยก๊าซโพรเพนและบิวเทน ในอัตราส่วนส่วนผสมของโพรเพนและบิวเทน ในอัตราส่วนเท่าใดก็ได้ หรืออาจจะเป็นโพรเพนบริสุทธิ์ 100% หรือบิวเทนริสุทธิ์ 100% ก็ได้ สำหรับในประเทศไทยก๊าซหุงต้มส่วนใหญ่ได้จากโรงแยกก๊าซธรรมชาติโดยใช้อัตราส่วนผสมของโพรเพน และบิวเทนประมาณ 70:30 ซึ่งจะให้ค่าความร้อนที่สูง มีคุณสมบัติหนักกว่าอากาศ ติดไฟได้ในช่วงของการติดไฟที่ 2–15 % ของปริมาณในอากาศ และอุณหภูมิที่ติดไฟได้เองคือ 400 องศาเซลเซียส

LPG gas is called officially "liquefied petroleum gas" or LPG for short. Generally we know this product as "[แก๊ส] or cooking gas. LPG is a product of crude oil petroleum distillation in a refinery or is extracted from a natural gas stream in a gas plant. [LPG] is a substance composed of hydrocarbons made up of propane and butane; these can be mixed in any proportion. For example, you can have pure 100% propane or pure 100% butane. In Thailand, cooking gas is mostly obtained from natural gas separation plants using a proportion of propane to butane in a 70:30 gas mixture. This mixture produces high heat. This gas [in contrast to methane] is heavier than air; it is flammable even when the LPG is mixed 2-15% with air. LPG combusts at 400 degrees Celsius.

Edited by meadish_sweetball

[/size][/font]น้ำมันก๊าด น. นํ้ามันชนิดหนึ่งที่ใช้ตามตะเกียง. seems to be "lantern fuel"

น้ำมันดีเซล is diesel fuel

น้ำมันเบนซิน is "benzine"; now the RID is clearly back in the British mode

น้ำมันก๊าด I suspect this is kerosene as we know it.

น้ำมันก๊าด ก๊าด is spelled with ด (dau dek). This is keresene, which is a liquid.

Kerosene is used for both lamp and refrigerator. (See ref. below.)

Ref.:

น้ำมันก๊าด is kerosene per link below, written by an Associated Prof. in chemistry.

http://www.chemtrack.org/News-Detail.asp?TID=1&ID=84

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

The Amish, who limit use of electric appliances for religious reasons, rely on kerosene for lighting and often purchase kerosene-powered versions of appliances such as refrigerators.

ก๊าซ is spelled with ซ (sau soe). This is gas as air, hydrogen, or other gas in the gaseous state. This can be used even for LNG, methane, etc. when you use it to refer to something in gaseous state.

แก๊ส is spelled with ส (sau sua). this is gas as fuel, as in gasoline, benzene.

Ref.:

Link below discuss gas powered refrigerator, which use gaseous gas, not kerosene.

http://www.otal.umd.edu/~vg/amst205.F97/vj09/project5.html

----

Long time ago, I think the use of gas as either ก๊าซ or แก๊ส was a matter of choice.

I wish to add that I find it ridiculous that the same word "gas" in English is used as

ก๊าซ

แก๊ส

with such distinct meanings.

But I have heard and read people making such distinction.

So ridiculous or not, when you're in Rome....

I wish to find out if this distinctive use is among people with misconception, or is it an official definitive use.

Maybe someone can do some research and share..

I wish to add that I find it ridiculous that the same word "gas" in English is used as

ก๊าซ

แก๊ส

with such distinct meanings.

But I have heard and read people making such distinction.

So ridiculous or not, when you're in Rome....

I can't blame the Thais; after all, in the U.S. the word "gas" is used both for natural gas (methane) and as the diminutive for "gasoline", the British "petrol". How confusing to a foreigner in the U.S. is that!

I was unable to access the Royal Institute website just now.

http://www.royin.go.th/th/home/

So I checked the Thai Wikipedia:

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B9%81%E0%...%B9%8A%E0%B8%AA

"แก๊ส

จากวิกิพีเดีย สารานุกรมเสรี

ไปที่: ป้ายบอกทาง, ค้นหา

แก๊ส หรือ ก๊าซ (gas) เป็นสถานะหนึ่งของสสาร (อันได้แก่ ของแข็ง ของเหลว แก๊ส และพลาสมา) ซึ่งจะกลายเป็นของแข็งได้เมื่อได้รับอุณหภูมิเพิ่มขึ้น

ดังนั้น เมื่อมีการเพิ่มพลังงานในรูปของความร้อนเข้าไป ของแข็ง (เช่น น้ำแข็ง) ก็จะละลายเป็นของเหลว (นั่นคือ น้ำ) ในตอนแรก และจากนั้นก็จะเดือด หรือระเหย กลายเป็นก๊าส (นั่นคือ ไอน้ำ) ในบางสถานะ ของเข็ง (เช่น น้ำแข็งแห้ง) สามารถเปลี่ยนไปเป็นแก๊สได้โดยตรง เรียกว่า การระเหิด หากแก๊สได้รับความร้อนต่อไป อะตอมหรือโมเลกุลของแก๊สนั้นก็จะกลายเป็นไอออน และเปลี่ยนจากแก๊สไปเป็นสถานะพลาสมา

เป็นที่น่าสังเกตว่า สสารทั้ง 3 สถานะนี้ สอดคล้องกันโดยบังเอิญกับธาตุพื้นฐานทั้งสี่ที่เชื่อกันในสมัยโบราณ อันได้แก่ ดิน (ของแข็ง) , น้ำ (ของเหลว) , ลม (แก๊ส) และไฟ (พลาสมา)

สถานะของสสาร

ของแข็ง • ของเหลว • แก๊ส (ก๊าซ) • พลาสมา"

According to the Thai Wikipedia, it is obvious that the words แก๊ส หรือ ก๊าซ (gas)are used interchangeably.

I have been wondering for a long time about the Thai word for gas. Here is what the Royal Institute says:

ก๊าซ น. อากาศธาตุ, (วิทยา) สถานะหนึ่งของสสาร รูปร่างและ

ปริมาตรไม่คงที่ ขึ้นอยู่กับภาชนะที่บรรจุ, เรียกไฟซึ่งเกิดจาก

การจุดอะเซทิลีน ซึ่งได้จากก้อนแคลเซียมคาร์ไบด์ทําปฏิกิริยา

กับน้ำว่า ไฟก๊าซ, แก๊ส ก็ว่า. (อ. gas).

"ไฟก๊าซ, แก๊ส ก็ว่า" It seems that the Royal Institute also is saying both ก๊าซ and แก๊ส are used interchangeably. However I wish to consult the Royal Institute some more to confirm.

So the version of explanation to distinctly use ก๊าซ, แก๊ส to mean different things as explained by a TV commentator recently may not be the official usage. Subject to further verification, it seems the words ก๊าซ, แก๊ส may be used interchangeably.

Edited by stateman

Although ก๊าซ and แก๊ส can be used alternatively but mostly, Thai people will use ก๊าซ to refer to elements of the air, such as ก๊าซคาร์บอนไดออกไซด์, ก๊าซไนโตรเจน, ก๊าซไฮโดรเจน and แก๊ส for fuel such as ปั๊มแก๊ส for both NGV(natural gas vehicles) and LPG(liquefied petroleum gas) gas station. But you will see we use both ก๊าซหุงต้ม and แก๊สหุงต้ม, in this case it's because the word หุงต้ม make the word gas can be refer to both elements of the air or fuel. Another example is when we smell the gas smell, we would say เหม็นกลิ่นแก๊ส which means there might be LPG gas leak out from somewhere.

Both words can be used interchangeably but as my explanation above, it's how Thai people are used to using them.

This came up with a teacher the other day when writing about global warming and she definitely suggested that in the story I was writing the first spelling was better.

Withmail got this comment from his teacher because of the way how Thai people are used to with the word.

แอลพีจี (LPG) หรือในชื่อที่รู้จักกันทั่วไป คือ แก๊ส

This's what I said, when talking about LPG as in car fuel or using in cooking, we often call it แก๊ส rather than ก๊าซ. But if anyone want to call it ก๊าซ, no one would say that you said it wrong but it's just sound strange to Thai people's ears.

ก๊าซเอ็นจีวี (NGV) คือ ก๊าซธรรมชาติที่ใช้กับรถยนต์ คำว่า NGV

ก๊าซแอลพีจี (LPG) มีชื่อเป็นทางการว่าก๊าซปิโตรเลียมเหลว

When talking about gas with its name in general like this, we often use ก๊าซ, the same as I said about ก๊าซไนโตรเจน, ก๊าซไฮโดรเจน etc.

But when we talk about filling the car fuel, we would say เติมแก๊ส and ถังแก๊ส for gas container.

So, in summary, there is nothing wrong to use which word for gas, only a problem that it might sound strange to Thai people's ears if you choose to use the word we are not used to with it, just that.