Taxi For Mcclown

mrtoad

A pretty accurate piece in my opininon, which shows what a complate farce the whole thing was from the start.

I still beleive that we have the players to perform better, but like all orchestras you have to have a top conductor, and we haven't had one for a long time.

Yep i agree and we DO have a good nucleus of players

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FA terminates McClaren's contract

· Assistant Venables also leaves position

· 'Full root and branch examination of set-up' promised

· Barwick apologises to fans for 'letting them down'

Sean Ingle

Thursday November 22, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Barwick and the FA's board announce McClaren's sacking. Photograph: Carl Court/PA

Steve McClaren's dismal and lacklustre 16-month tenure as the England manager came to a predictable end today when he was sacked following an emergency FA board meeting at Soho Square.

The decision to terminate McClaren's contract, which was taken unanimously by the FA's 12-man board, came as little surprise following last night's 3-2 defeat at home to Croatia - a result that confirmed England's failure to qualify for a major tournament for the first time since 1994. McClaren's assistant, Terry Venables, also had his contract terminated.

The FA chairman Geoff Thompson promised that the organisation would now instigate a "full root and branch examination of the whole England senior team set-up" which would begin "with immediate effect".

"Like every England fan, we are bitterly disappointed that we have failed to qualify," he said. "I know Steve feels that disappointment more than anyone. Of course, we have no divine right to play in any major tournament - but it is quite right that qualification is expected."

McClaren leaves his post as statistically the worst England manager in history, having lost five of his 18 matches in charge. However the FA's chief executive, Brian Barwick, said he had "no regrets" about appointing McClaren on a four-year deal, even though it would cost the FA £2.5m to pay off his contract.

"I don't regret that now; I think he has tried very hard," he said. "But in the end, not qualifying for Euro 2008 means he comes up short. Of course we're embarrassed, disappointed, disappointed like all fans."

But Dave Richards, the Premier League chairman, said that Barwick should not bear the responsibility for appointing McClaren. "Brian has taken a lot of stick about him being the sole person to appoint McClaren. This responsibility has to be shared among us all. It's unfair to say he was Brian's man - he was the FA's man."

The FA will now begin its search for McClaren's successor. Jose Mourinho and Martin O'Neill were immediately installed as 4-1 joint favourites with bookmakers, but Mourinho is thought to favour a return to club management, while O'Neill is privately lukewarm after being rejected last time round. So far only Fabio Capello, who has won league titles in Italy and Spain and the Champions League with Milan in 1994, has expressed an interest in the job, calling it a "beautiful challenge".

Barwick, who has been handed responsibility for finding a new manager, has made it clear that the FA will consider a foreign coach. "I don't think nationality will be an issue," he said.

The prime minister Gordon Brown lent his support today to calls for a one-off home nations tournament next year after England's exit from Euro 2008, admitting it was desperately disappointing that there will be no British teams at the tournament. "In some cases, that's down to bad luck. In some, it's bad results," he said.

"We have the Olympics to look forward to next summer. I know every football fan in Britain was looking forward to a summer of football next year, so it's very disappointing. I know some people have called for a one-off revival next year of the home internationals. That's something for the football associations and clubs to consider. I would certainly enjoy that. I have got great memories from the 60s and 70s. But that is a decision for the football associations and clubs."

McClaren was not present at today's FA meeting, but it is understood that he will be holding a press conference at Sopwell House in St Albans at 1pm today.

Allardyce rules out England job

Souce: BBC

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has ruled himself out of the running to become the next England manager.

But ex-Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello has said he would be interested in the job following Steve McClaren's sacking.

And Reading manager Steve Coppell and Portsmouth's Harry Redknapp have not ruled themselves out.

Capello, 61, who has won league titles with Real, AC Milan and Roma, said: "It would be a beautiful challenge. I am the right age."

Allardyce was Bolton manager when he was touted for the England job which McClaren got 18 months ago.

He has since become Newcastle manager and has recently signed a new contract and said he wanted to honour it.

Redknapp said: "Anybody would love to manage their country but I don't see it coming my way.

"It's a great job for somebody. It's an opportunity to work with the best players in this country and for me still, despite what anyone might think a group of some of the best players in the world."

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill and former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho are the bookies' favourites for the job.

O'Neill was rejected by the FA after interviewing for the role before McClaren's appointment and may be reluctant to put himself in the frame again.

Mourinho, meanwhile, has been out of work since leaving Chelsea in September following a dispute with Blues owner Roman Abramovich.

The Portuguese has the credentials to be successful, after winning back-to-back Premier League titles with Chelsea a season after clinching the Champions League with Porto, but may prefer club management to the international arena.

A close friend of the Portuguese told the BBC: "Jose is very sorry for the result and for what happened to Steve, a coach he always respected.

"For him, the absence of England is very bad for Euro 2008, and he is also unhappy for the absence of such good players. No more comment."

Coppell did not rule himself out of the running although he said he was still under contract at Reading.

Capello was sacked by Real at the end of last season despite winning the Spanish title and he is available as he is now working as a commentator for Italian television.

However, Capello might prove to be a controversial choice to succeed McClaren, as his many successes on the pitch have been marred by some unsavoury episodes.

He led Roma to the title in 2001 - their first major honour in a decade - but then became embroiled in a dispute with club captain Francesco Totti, was accused of moving on key players and ended his spell at Roma with the club in danger of relegation.

Capello then became Juventus boss and led them to league titles in 2005 and 2006, but the club was stripped of their trophies because of their involvement in a match-fixing scandal.

Following that, Capello resigned as Juventus manager and joined Real Madrid for a second spell - having first taken the reins in 1996 - where he again claimed the Spanish title in 2007.

But the success did not stop Capello from being dismissed by the Spanish giants, who were unhappy with his defensive style of play.

Well I Suppose it's nice of Sam to let everyone know that. Of course he has F all chance of getting it now ANYHOW, and his star is on the wane. 18 months ago, maybe, but not now.

As for the rest of those who are hinting, i.e. Coppell and Redknapp no thanks. Coppell can he take the intense pressure? He couldn't at Man City, and as for Redknapp I'm not sure, although he's done great things down at Pompey.

Oh well, the speculation will continue.

Edited by mrtoad

and as for Redknapp I'm not sure, although he's done great things down at Pompey.

I've got a lot of respect for Harry. As for the England job, i'm not sure either

If 'arry can get a squad of average/good players at West Ham and Pompey to punch above their weight - why not the same with England ? :o

and as for Redknapp I'm not sure, although he's done great things down at Pompey.

I've got a lot of respect for Harry. As for the England job, i'm not sure either

If 'arry can get a squad of average/good players at West Ham and Pompey to punch above their weight - why not the same with England ? :o

Cos average players don't have big heads and ego's, that the manager has to pamper to. I don't think Harry takes any cr4p, so i don't know if that's a good thing or not !!

Mourinho 'rules out' England post

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho does not want to succeed Steve McClaren as England manager, BBC Sport understands.

Mourinho, 44, has been out of football since leaving Stamford Bridge in September but is believed to be waiting for a club rather than a national post.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has also said he does not want the England job.

But ex-Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello says he is interested and Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp and Reading's Steve Coppell have not ruled themselves out.

Radio 5 Live's football correspondent Jonathan Legard said: "Mourinho is apparently champing at the bit to return to football management.

"But not for a job, however lucrative and high profile, that only allows him to do what he does so well - working with players - a couple of times every few months.

"He's like a lion in a cage, I was told, but a national job, even such a special post like England, would only appeal at a later stage in his career and the chances are even then that would only be the Portugal job.

I've got a massive job at Reading, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm very happy with that

Reading manager Steve Coppell

"Far more attractive for the former Chelsea title winner at the moment is a top European club vacancy and as he waits for that, so the FA must come to terms with the size of their task."

The Football Association's chief executive Brian Barwick has begun his search for a replacement for McClaren, who was sacked on Thursday after England failed to reach Euro 2008.

And Capello, 61, who has won league titles with Real, AC Milan and Roma, said: "It would be a beautiful challenge. I am the right age."

Allardyce was Bolton manager when he was touted for the England job which McClaren got 18 months ago.

He has since become Newcastle manager and says he wants to honour the new contract he recently signed.

"I am not in a position like I was at my old club where the chairman openly extended the invitation for me to go for the position," Allardyce said.

I wouldn't look any further than Hoddle

Former England captain Paul Ince

Redknapp said: "Anybody would love to manage their country but I don't see it coming my way.

"It's a great job for somebody. It's an opportunity to work with the best players in this country and for me still, despite what anyone might think, a group of some of the best players in the world."

Coppell did not rule himself out of the running although he said he was still under contract at Reading.

"It's a non-issue, I have a contract here," he said. "I'm English so people link me.

"I've got a massive job at Reading, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm very happy with that."

While Capello has attracted support from punters, Mourinho's lack of interest leaves Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill as the bookies' favourites for the job.

O'Neill was rejected by the Football Association after interviewing for the role before McClaren's appointment and may be reluctant to put himself in the frame again.

Meanwhile, former England captain Paul Ince believes the FA should re-appoint Glenn Hoddle.

The 50-year-old was England boss for three years before being sacked in February 1999 after suggesting that disabled people were being punished for sins in a previous life.

Ince told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I wouldn't look any further than Hoddle. He did a very good job and he wasn't sacked for footballing reasons.

"The FA has got to forget about what happened years ago, they've got to be bold and brave.

"Hoddle is sharp, bright, meticulous and he's English, but whether the FA is prepared to go back is not my decision."

Capello was sacked by Real at the end of last season despite winning the Spanish title and he is available as he is now working as a commentator for Italian television.

No suprise with any of the statements so far from some of the people being touted. As four the most ludicrous statement of the day, I think Paul Ince has won that one hands down. There is no way that Hoddle has done anything in his managerial career to suggest that he is capable of managing England for a second time. He was very lucky the first time, and since then he has done very, very little. No thanks.

As for the others, IMHO - Coppell-No, Allardyce - No, Redknapp - No, O'Neill -Maybe, Mourihio- I wish, Capello -has to be worth considering.

My preferences:

1st Big Sam. He did wonders at Bolton. Really built up the club. Took them into Europe for the first time ever, and stopped them keep going down one year and up the next. i.e brought consistency. What's most interesting is the ways he did it, including in no particular order:

1) He's a man manager, who really motivates the players

2) He sorts out the difficult characters, Prima Donnas, brings them in line and gets the best out of them. Let's face it we have enough good players in England, that could do with knocking into shape mentally

3) Resurrecting careers of people who have fallen from favour: eg, Diouf, Djourkaef, Anelka

4) Brought much more scientific methods into football. Bolton has led the way in inovation. It can't afford to spend money, so was forced to look at new ways, training method etc

5) Brought consistencey in style of play. Everyone knew the style, but changed tactics as necessary to fit the occasion

6) Did it on a shoe string by spotting talent. There's enough talent in England, it just needs nurturing and managing

7) Showed vision for the future.

8) Knows English football inside out

9) Passion and football thru and thru

10) Brings pride to the club he manages. As an Englishman, the entire country would be willing him to succeed more than ever.

Now is the time to really give him a chance. The guy has vision. We need that. Now we're out of Euro 2008, we have a year or two to rebuild and take a chance. Let's face it, English football needs rebuilding. That's not going t happen overnight. He also seriously wanted the job last time when for some reason we gave it to McClown.

Yes he may be a gamble in many eyes, but on the other hand do we also want to burn some of the best managers at this point in time.

Hence...other thoughts:

Klinsmann:

Interesting. Great player. Did very well as an "unproven" manager. Could be the ideal man for the job. Germans also have patience. Understands England and it's football. Understands the concept of building for a future. Let's face it, the future is all we can look to at the moment, as the present has been well and truly shafted.

Jose Mourinho:

He would be great at first thought. He's an excellent manager. Big match temperament. But then again, what will his motivation be for the next year or so? He has no stage to prove himself on. He thrives at at the top. England aren't going to be playing at top level for at least 18 months. Along the lines of casting pearls before swine I'd say. Let's face it they did play like female pigs in Euro 2008. Now if we had have scraped thru the qualifiers and sacked McClown, he would be a must. But with where we are now - Save him for a later date. He's not the type of person to thrive in friendlies against Macedonia for 18 months +

Alan Shearer:

Will be great one day. In the same way he was as a player. He embodies passion and what the sport is about. Too early for him. Save him for the future, when he has the experience.

Souness:

God. Please no. Tell me one club he has ever been successful at. Why anyone puts him in the frame for any managers job I have no idea. He was a great player, but has never been able to do the same in management. He single handedly ruined Liverpool, who have took years to recover. England are at a low point. This is the guy to take them lower and challenge new lows.

Jol:

Sorry, anyone who fails with the money he spent, and resources at his disposal at Spurs, can forget it.

Thaksin????

We've already proved we're devoid of morals by letting him buy Man City. He might have enough money to buy us World Cup 2010 tho' with his dodgy dealings, and bribes. That said, call me old fashioned, and I'd prefer a fool like McClown, who at least has some morals

For me it's all about mutual fit. There are some great managers out there, but what has England really got to offer them at the moment? Probably the equivalent of putting Bill Gates in charge of the local coner shop for a couple of years. Big Sam, on the other hand, has the passion, drive, is English, and really wanted it - last time at least. He's proven he can take that corner shop, and put it up there with the best of Europe. Why not the world?

Edited by fletchthai68

FA undeterred by England refusals

Source :BBC

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick says he is not worried by managers apparently ruling themselves out of becoming England coach.

Barwick and FA development director Sir Trevor Brooking will lead the search for Steve McClaren's successor.

But Martin O'Neill, Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce have stated they are not interested and committed to their current club roles.

"I'm not deterred - I'm determined to get the right person," said Barwick.

"The English footballing public is demanding that and it's my job to make sure we get that right."

McClaren was sacked following England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008.

England lost 3-2 to Croatia in their final game of the campaign when they needed a draw to book their place at next summer's finals as they looked to buckle under the pressure of the game.

Barwick said no-one had yet been approached about the job.

But he added: "I think a huge part of what comes next is managing the intensity of the occasions, we have to make sure the players go on to the pitch feeling really good about themselves.

"Something I can bring to the party is how we can better manage that."

Barwick and Brooking will meet this week to discuss who to appoint and are expected to consult the Premier League's top managers and ex-England boss Sir Bobby Robson.

"It's a notable departure from the committee-led approach which attracted such ridicule last time out when FA officials appeared completely out of touch with football opinion by pursuing such an unpopular candidate," BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard.

"If anything it is a throwback to 1994 when Jimmy Armfield became the FA's kingmaker, recommending Terry Venables after widespread consultation within the game.

"This time it's the FA's top administrator that is taking the lead and Barwick's partnership with Brooking augurs well.

"Previously, the two have clashed over Brooking's plans to restructure coaching but it looks like England's failure last week has engineered some welcome unity and purpose."

Barwick insisted there was no immediate rush to land an England coach.

He said: "There is no time frame. We will not get trapped into a time frame. We will see how long it takes."

Former England boss Glenn Hoddle has voiced his support for Italian Fabio Capello, who says he would be interested in taking up the post, while saying Harry Redknapp is his choice if the FA wants an Englishman.

"If the FA want a foreign coach then it needs to be someone who has done well at the highest level," he told Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"The man who fits that description is Capello. He's my number one choice for the job.

"I feel the successful candidate must have vast experience at all levels if the FA are to opt for a foreign manager.

"I would allow Capello to bring one of his assistants in that he could work off.

"But I would have an English guy operating alongside him who would be groomed to eventually take over.

"It doesn't have to be a young man but guys like Stuart Pearce, Alan Shearer, Steve Coppell are possibilities."

Has O’Neill done a Clough?

Martin Samuel

The Times

Martin O’Neill appears to be treading the same path as his mentor, Brian Clough. He wants to be the greatest manager England never had.

For a time Clough coveted the England job, but when Ron Greenwood was appointed in 1977 he settled comfortably into the role of disloyal opposition, needling the FA and lobbing the odd hand grenade at the man in charge.

O’Neill is not like that and plays a fair game, but his words on Friday hinted at a similar satisfaction with the thought of being the man who would have led England to glory, if only he had been given the chance.

O’Neill said, joking but meaning it, that he would have been a brilliant England manager, and that is exactly what Clough thought, too. Yet, beyond that first interview, Clough was adept at ensuring that he was unemployable. He remained the people’s choice, the man who would have won the World Cup, yet in reality never had to prove it by getting so much as a home point against Liechtenstein. Is this what O’Neill is settling for, too? If so, what a waste.

He did not do well at interview two years ago, that much we know, but a lot has changed. The members of the FA board admitted that the previous policy was flawed and it produced an unsatisfactory compromise candidate in Steve McClaren. The inference is that this time Brian Barwick, the chief executive, will be given the freedom to recommend his man, negating all need for interviews. And because O’Neill was known to be Barwick’s original preference, it promised to be a fast-track process, a coronation with plenty of time for the manager to be in place before a friendly against Switzerland on February 6.

Now O’Neill is the one raising objections. He is committed to Aston Villa; he may have 15 rivals ahead of him; if they did not want me then, why now? This is more than just playing hard to get. When there was an interview process, O’Neill talked in a manner that deterred the FA; now these obstacles have been removed and his way made clear, he is no longer interested. Is it all an elaborate defence mechanism? If not, what worries him?

With Clough there was always the suspicion that he would never have been able to live up to expectations. How could a man who claimed to walk on water be anything other than a disappointment if thrown in at the deep end? His reputation was such that the moment he accepted the post it would be assumed that he would deliver the World Cup. And if he fell short, as all but a handful of international managers do, how could his ego recover?

O’Neill does not possess Clough’s arrogance, nor has he spent much of his career telling England managers how to do their job, but, after McClaren’s failure, his appointment would carry increased expectation. In the aftermath of England’s exit from the European Championship, it is O’Neill’s name that most frequently appears in sentences starting “if only”, which presumes that had the FA been prepared to indulge his maverick nature, England would be preparing for next summer’s tournament in Austria and Switzerland right now.

So if he takes the job, he risks shattering that illusion. If he stays clear, he will be marked as a loyal, decent man who did not want to let down Villa to work for a committee of fools who had their chance to revitalise English football through him and blew it.

Yet there will remain the nagging doubt that O’Neill preferred to be the type of England manager Clough was: untried, untested, unbeaten and immaculate. There is only one way to address that. When the chief executive of the FA phones, take the call, Martin, take the job.

Harry Redknapp just the job

The Portsmouth manager would be ideal to revive England, but the FA lacks the foresight

Joe Lovejoy

The Times

It cost £2.5m in compensation, but for the cash cow that is the Football Association, sacking Steve McClaren was the easy part. Identifying the right replacement, or rather getting him, is where it starts getting tricky.

Brian Barwick and company made such a pig’s ear of replacing Sven-Göran Eriksson only last year that the mind boggles at the convolutions they might come up with this time, but a modicum of sympathy is in order. The men they might want have indicated that they are not available, and the ones who are available are probably not the ones they want. It is the reason McClaren survived as long as he did. If one has to rule out Jose Mourinho, Arsène Wenger and Martin O’Neill, as it seems we must after their pronouncements on Friday, it starts getting problematical.

Whiling away the prematch hours in snowbound Vienna, the England press corps turned their minds to the task, and the disparate names thrown up are an indication of the FA’s predicament. The likely, or less likely, lads ranged all the way down to Glenn Hoddle, via Harry Redknapp, Jurgen Klinsmann and Frank Rijkaard. Wenger said the job was not for him, and should always go to an Englishman, but he offered the FA his advice, and the Arsenal manager’s thoughts are always well worth listening to.

Mourinho is being courted by Real Madrid, Milan and Juventus, and will probably end up in Spain. But he likes England and the passion of English football and, on the basis that if you don’t buy a ticket, you can’t win the raffle, he should be invited to name his price. When he says no, where next? Barwick shouldn’t, but probably will, risk further embarrassment by going after Luiz Felipe Scolari again; Marcello Lippi has said he is not interested; and Fabio Capello, who is, would need an interpreter, which is always a disadvantage.

Redknapp’s credentials shine through

Wake up England and learn from mistakes

There was (and probably still is) a strong lobby, once again, for O’Neill, and quite right too, but Aston Villa’s jack-in-the box was rejected last time after an interview deemed unimpressive, and has indicated that he is not up for another “beauty contest”. The same applies to the others interviewed 18 months ago, Sam Allardyce and Alan Curbishley.

So many refusals. Is it a “poisoned chalice” or the “impossible job”, as some like to call it? Not at the moment it isn’t. Thanks to McClaren, there has never been a better time to take over. Expectations are rock bottom, and whoever comes in can hardly do worse than his hapless predecessor. Redknapp certainly sees it that way - he calls the job “the ultimate honour” - and merits serious consideration. His teams play good, attractive football, he is a father figure to Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard and Joe Cole, all of whom he brought through the West Ham youth system, and he is totally media-savvy. More importantly, he has done an outstanding job at Portsmouth (only Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have had better results since his return to Fratton Park) and he commands the respect of everybody in the game.

Vastly experienced after nearly 25 years in management and recognised as an expert on football abroad as well as at home (he almost lost his life in a car crash when attending Italia 90), he would be my choice, in harness with Tony Adams, his No 2 at Portsmouth. Adams is forging an impressive reputation as a coach in his own right, and would bridge the generation gap between dressing room and dugout.

If the FA ignores Redknapp, as I suspect it will, it can only be on the grounds that he, like Terry Venables before him, might attract the interest of Panorama almost as often as Football Focus.

Steve Coppell, the League Managers’ Association manager of the year for the past two seasons, would also be on my shortlist after making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear at Reading. He has proved his coaching and managerial ability over two decades, notably at Crystal Palace, and his playing pedigree, as a former Manchester United and England winger, would quieten the show-us-your-medals brigade.

The accusation that he is flaky under pressure after lasting barely a month at Manchester City is unfair and wide of the mark. His abrupt departure from Maine Road was for family, rather than footballing, reasons. The only factor against him is a lugubrious mien that would have the sponsors and TV paymasters cringing over their corporate bubbly.

Gerard Houllier has been considered twice in the past and his experience, with France and in the Champions League with Liverpool and Lyons, ticks the right boxes, but the way he was deemed to have “lost the plot”, and the dressing room, at Anfield will count against him. The Republic of Ireland is a more likely destination. Similarly, Roy Hodgson, now managing Finland, who failed narrowly to qualify for Euro 2008, is regarded as yesterday’s man.

Some say the same of Venables, incorrectly in my view. He is younger than Sir Alex Ferguson, who nobody would dare suggest is past it, and is lauded by just about every player who played for England under him between 1994 and 1996 as the best communicator and most inventive coach they ever worked with.

Brought in to mentor McClaren, he was instead marginalised by him, and does not deserve to be condemned by association. Unfortunately, the FA did not see it that way and sacked him too last Thursday, so he is not going to be appointed now.

Those who will be under review include Guus Hiddink, who should have been shortlisted last time and has since improved what was already a striking CV by galvanising Russia, at England’s expense. Too late: the FA couldn’t afford him now. If they offered £6m a year, Roman Abramovich would make it £8m for him to stay put.

Klinsmann did a good job with Germany, before and during last year’s World Cup, and is looking for work after his sabbatical in California, but how would English fans take to a German manager? Dubiously at first, one suspects, but even Stan Boardman would learn to love him if he was successful.

Klinsmann’s duck-to-water success with Germany after no experience in club management has fuelled a belief in some quarters that Alan Shearer might do the same with England, but appointing a novice would clearly be a gamble, and the FA’s instinct is always to play safe. Barwick and the blazers don’t do bold.

Johan Cruyff always gets a mention and former Rangers manager Dick Advocaat should, having just won the Russian league with Zenit St Petersburg, but they are rank outsiders, as is a third Dutchman, Rijkaard.

Stuart Pearce is doing a good job with the England Under21s, but Manchester City’s stagnation under his management militates against him. Mourinho, a charismatic leader and proven organiser of good players, would be my first choice, but if he and Wenger are nonrunners, I would go for “Happy Harry”. My shortlist comprises Redknapp, Hiddink, Shearer (with Venables), Klinsmann and Coppell.

First, however, Barwick should make the “Special One” the sort of offer even he would find hard to refuse.

YES

Harry Redknapp English, age 60

Very experienced and sees the England job as an honour. His undeserved barrow-boy image has not hindered him at Portsmouth where he has a knack of bringing the best out of players who are not of the top rank. Sounds perfect

Fabio Capello, Italian, 61

As a proven winner in club football in Italy and Spain, he certainly has the pedigree. Sacked after winning La Liga with Real Madrid last season, he is now unemployed apart from TV work in Italy and says he actually wants the job ... always a big plus. Main drawback is that his English isn’t that good – a bit like Wayne Rooney

Jurgen Klinsmann, German, 43

Germany legend Franz Beckenbauer says Klinsmann is the man England need, and he does have an impressive record at international level, despite never having managed in club football. On the negative side, Klinsmann likes to get his own way and he lives in California - both of which could grate with the FA board

NO

Jose Mourinho, Portuguese, 44

Charismatic and successful, the FA should make the Portuguese their first choice, but he says he is not yet ready for international management and would prefer a job with a top European club

Arsène Wenger, French, 58

The Arsenal manager has rightly been in the frame every time the England job has been vacant over the past decade, but insists the post should go to an Englishman. What a pity

Sam Allardyce, English, 53

As Bolton manager he was on the shortlist when Steve McClaren was appointed. Now says he is no longer interested and would prefer to stay at Newcastle United

Alan Shearer, English, 37

Respected as a player, but with no managerial experience, so would need lots of help. Surely too much of a gamble even for the FA ... although they did appoint McClaren

MAYBE

Martin O’Neill, N Irish, 55

Probably the people’s choice. Insisted last week he still has a task to complete at Aston Villa without convincing anybody he would turn down England if offered the job

Marcello Lippi, Italian, 59

Turned down Birmingham City recently, but the man who guided Italy to the 2006 World Cup refuses to rule himself out, while saying he does not expect to be considered

Rafa Benitez, Spanish, 47

Unsettled after a row over transfer funding with Liverpool’s American owners. Open to offers if the Anfi eld rift deepens but wouldn’t be able to buy success with England either

Luiz Felipe Scolari, Brazilian, 59

Has a great record at international level. Said yes to England last time before a change of heart. Still an impressive candidate who is likely to leave Portugal after Euro 2008

Fabio’s worth a flutter

Fabio Capello is the clear 2-1 favourite to become the next England manager. Sir Clive Woodward, who led England to Rugby World Cup success in 2003, is priced at 200-1, with David Beckham at 250-1

Ladbrokes odds

Fabio Capello 2-1

Jose Mourinho 4-1

Martin O’Neill 6-1

Harry Redknapp 7-1

Alan Shearer 10-1

I wish that they'd stop touting Mourinho's name. He doesn't want the job.

The sensible money is on Capello at the moment. Though that may change.

I had a fleeting thought about Mark Hughes yesterday. Well, if it's going to be a foreign manager - why not. :D

Did someone mention Goddle ? I don't even think that his Dad could sort out this mess. :o

Mourinho 'invites England offer'

Source:BBC

Mourinho has been out of work since leaving Chelsea in September

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has reportedly expressed an interest in becoming the new England manager.

Mourinho, who left Chelsea in September, said he would be prepared to talk to the Football Association.

"You will have to speak to the FA to see if they are interested in offering me the job," he told The Sun newspaper.

"I cannot say what I think until they say they are interested. Tell the FA to come and get me. We will have to wait and see, but I rule nothing out."

Mourinho would be a popular choice to replace Steve McClaren at the helm with England because of his hugely impressive record with Chelsea and Porto.

He won two Portuguese championships, the Uefa Cup and the Champions League with Porto, before leaving to win two Premier League titles, two League Cups and the FA Cup with the Blues.

The 44-year-old had been tipped to stay in club management in Europe, having previously suggested that he would only be interested in coaching his native Portugal at international level.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick has said that nationality "would not be an issue" when it came to appointing the next England coach.

England, who have dropped down to the second pot of seeds in qualification for the major tournaments, avoided Portugal in Sunday's draw for the World Cup.

Barwick will lead the FA's search for a new coach after they missed out on a place at Euro 2008, alongside the organisation's development director Sir Trevor Brooking.

The FA has already had to listen to several potential candidates rule themselves out of contention for the position with Aston Villa's Martin O'Neill, West Ham's Alan Curbishley and Newcastle's Sam Allardyce all distancing themselves from speculation.

If this rumour is correct then Barprick needs to get th9s sorted quickly. There shouls be no mucking around if a manager of Mourinho's calibre is willing to take on the challenge. I think that the fact that he has a good knowledge of the English game, as well as the European one and comes with a proven track record makes him the outstanding candidate. One thing is for sure, he will have the respect of the players, and I don't think he will put up with nonsense from some our show ponies.

Why wait around looking for a replacement, when the "special one" is asking for the call?

The only thing i can see holding this up, is the reluctance of the old duffers at the FA who will not like someone like Mourihno who will certainly not be an FA lap dog.

I'd have Jose, any day. However, we all know that Gerrard and Lamps don't play well together and Jose loves Lamps. What would he do there?

Don't forget Mr b that Jose tried to buy Steven Gerrard TWICE , so he obviously believes that he can have a midfield that has both Lampard and Gerrard playing well together :o .

If reports at MSN UK are to be believed and no one naturalised in the British Isles wants the job. Basing it on linguistic ability, ie these two are about the only 2 who are fluent enough in the lingo. Who would you want?

Jose Mourinho or Juergen Klinsmann

Edited by Mosha

Neither...or either

Both are better than McClown.

We will probably employ a down and out..so who's available?

Souness

errrr...Davies

errrrr/...Lee

errrrr...Hutcihngs

errrrrrr..Gregory

errrrrrrrrm Pearce

They will all come cheap,

That will fit in with the FA strategy, Its carzy when you compare Sven's 5m a year to McLeishes 300k a year when managing England and Scotland respectivley

Edited by ThaiPauly

Think this should be merged witht he Taxi McClown, whose going to suceed thread.

As for the root and branch search, I'm sure the FA will be very thorough in finding the most compliant manager who will bend over and take it up the ass. :o

I tell you what Toady. I'd take it up the ass for a pay off like that. 5 mins of pain and a life of luxury :o

:D:D

Well, there are plEnty of places to find out about the pain in BKK :D , BEFORE YOU DECIDE IT'S WORTH IT :D