What Is This Snake?

Sorry, but I can't help wonder why you removed it from the tree.

If you felt it was potentially dangerous, perhaps leaving it there and warning your family about it would be the best way to handle the situation. Of course it would have eventually slithered away, especially if it knew there were people around who could possibly harm it. Also, if you thought it might be poisonous, wouldn't fishing it out of the tree be a little risky?

I can't help but feel sorry for the poor little critter pinned on the ground with a hook around its neck when moments before it was minding its own business trying to find a bit of dinner.

Boo hoo hoo. I'm sure it's happy it wasn't one of our Thai security guards who found it first. They usually smack snakes to a mush before discarding the remains.

Oh, sorry! I didn't know that the security guards where you live were in the habit of checking your tree for snakes on a regular basis.

To me, this sort of sounds like shooting somebody in the leg for no good reason and justifying it by reminding him that the neighbor usually shoots people in the head for no good reason. Sheesh, at least you could have offered some logical reason.

To divert the burgeoning flame fest.

I have no idea what type of snake it is - but I DO like that rather clever home-made contraption for catching it whilst - apparently - doing little damage to the little chap.

Over the last few months I have had 4 snakes in my kitchen here in Bangkok – I have bushes near the windows for shade and they seem to like climbing through the foliage and squeezing through the gaps in the sliding windows to see what’s happening on the other side. This is the cue for my wife and the maids to perform the traditional “chicken with head cut off” dance around the kitchen; no one wants to hurt the thing but equally no one wants to take any initiative to remove it; apart from those two firm resolves the only other thing everyone seems to agree upon is that under no circumstances should the Farang be allowed anywhere near the reptile for his own safety.

I shall immediately assemble one of these implements and look forward to amazing the audience with my sang froid the next time we have a visitor.

Patrick

The "contraption" is just a length of standard electric plastic pipe with an end of cable run through it so it makes a loop in the other end. Got the idea from a program on Animal Planet. Good for all sorts of critters who would like to harm you when you just want them off your property.

Edited by Phil Conners

Is that a bluish coloring on the snake as well?

Also you might be interested in checking out this blog: singaporesnakes.blogspot.com/

On the right hand side he's got a whole listing of snakes and photos :o

...the only other thing everyone seems to agree upon is that under no circumstances should the Farang be allowed anywhere near the reptile for his own safety.

God forbid the demise of the meal ticket....I mean falang..... by snake bite. So preventable (just keep him away from it), not like a traffic accident at all which are totally unpreventable acts of fate and bad karma.

• 3 weeks later...