Gluten Free Baking Mix, Bread Machine

zorro1

would very much like to purchase a bread making machine as I have not found any gluten free bread in BKK. anyone know of a mix in a packet or even a home recipe??

This is my healthy home recipe for baking a 1 Kg (2.2 lbs) bread using spelt, buckwheat and kamut flour:

Water 2 cups

Olive oil 2 tbsp

Molasses 3 tbsp (add after olive oil to prevent sticking to spoon)

Salt 1 1/2 tsp

Spelt 2 cups

Buckwheat 1 cup

Kamut 1 cup

Raisins 4 tbsp

Walnut 4 tbsp

Oatmeal 4 tbsp

Yeast 1 1/2 tsp

To ensure a good blend, alternate the addition of the flour, raisins, walnut and oatmeal. No need to wait for breadmaking machine's buzzer to add the raisins and nuts. Add everything at the beginning.

3 hours 40 minutes later, you'll have a low-gluten freshly-baked bread.

I bake a loaf every five days. Enjoy.

would very much like to purchase a bread making machine as I have not found any gluten free bread in BKK. anyone know of a mix in a packet or even a home recipe??

This is my healthy home recipe for baking a 1 Kg (2.2 lbs) bread using spelt, buckwheat and kamut flour:

Water 2 cups

Olive oil 2 tbsp

Salt 1 1/2 tsp

Spelt 2 cups

Buckwheat 1 cup

Kamut 1 cup

Raisins 4 tbsp

Walnut 4 tbsp

Oatmeal 4 tbsp

Yeast 1 1/2 tsp

To ensure a good blend, alternate the addition of the flour, raisins, walnut and oatmeal. No need to wait for breadmaking machine's buzzer to add the raisins and nuts. Add everything at the beginning.

thanks for the recipe but isnt oatmeal a gluten product?

I also am sensative to buckwheat so perhaps i could replace it with rice flour. What is spelt and where would i buy it?

Edited by zorro1

go to a celiac website they have zillions of recipes for everything from micro wave to bread machine cooking... a have a friend with a celiac child so thats what she does...(celiac is an intolerance even to a few micrograms, of gluten)

Edited by bina

Water 2 cups

Olive oil 2 tbsp

Salt 1 1/2 tsp

Spelt 2 cups

Buckwheat 1 cup

Kamut 1 cup

Raisins 4 tbsp

Walnut 4 tbsp

Oatmeal 4 tbsp

Yeast 1 1/2 tsp

thanks for the recipe but isnt oatmeal a gluten product?

I also am sensative to buckwheat so perhaps i could replace it with rice flour. What is spelt and where would i buy it?

I am not certain how much gluten is in oatmeal. It is added for extra fiber. Skip it if you do not want oatmeal. Same for buckwheat. Replace with any other gluten-free flour.

Google for info on spelt. Spelt is probably difficult to get in Thailand but readily available in the USA and Canada.

• 1 year later...

Just a head's up....

The Verasu shop on Wireless Road, about halfway between the Ploenchit BTS Station and the U.S. Embassy, sells both 500g spelt flour packages for 195 baht and baked loaves of spelt flour bread for 140 baht per loaf. Other than Verasu, I've never seen spelt flour for baking available elsewhere in BKK, though if anyone has, I'd sure like to know.

For some reason, the spelt flour packages are located on Verasu's first floor, along with a variety of other packaged baking mixes, next to their couple of bread baking machines. They had plenty of spelt flour packages on display today. In addition to the spelt flour, they also had packages of spelt flour-based baking mix labeled only in Thai which, according to the staff lady I asked, only require the addition of your own yeast, water, and oil or egg, as best as I recall.

But the fresh baked loaves of spelt bread are available upstairs in their Vista Cafe, where they sell drinks and a variety of baked spelt goods such as cakes, cookies, brownies, sweetbreads and such.

I stopped by there today on my way back from the U.S. Embassy just before lunchtime and bought the one spelt bread loaf they had out on display. (Toasted a slice with butter at home later, and it tasted and had a consistency that were just fine.) The last time I was there in the late afternoon, they had no loaves of bread on display.

Today, I sat down to have a drink and snack in the cafe. And later, when I went to leave, they hadn't put another loaf of spelt bread out on display. Dunno if that means the staff there is lazy (tho the place was empty of customers) or they bake only a very few loaves to avoid waste. So, if you go there and don't see the spelt bread on display on the cafe counter, best to ask.

BTW, the cafe there is actually very good, a great view from the floor to ceiling window, a range of pretty healthy but flavorful food choices of both Thai and farang varieties, and very reasonable prices, with most entrees in the 90 to 170 baht range... They bake their own sweets and make their own ice cream upstairs.

The only drawback is the cafe closes with the store at 7 pm, meaning cafe orders have to be placed well before then, making any kind of later dinner/evening meal there impossible. They are, however, open all day through lunch time and the afternoon.

Here's the link to their web site...

Edited by jfchandler

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI....

In shopping at Villa Market in BKK the other day, I was surprised to see 2 lbs. (907g) packages of Arrowhead Mills Organic Spelt Flour for sale on the shelf in the bakery section, priced at 255 baht per package.

I don't recall ever seeing that product stocked by Villa before, though they certainly do carry other Arrowhead Mills products, including some cereals.

That price for spelt flour is a fair amount less expensive than the 500g packages of Spelt flour for sale at Verasu's shops...

On the medical side, I do know spelt DOES contain gluten, similar to wheat flours and such. However, some people who are allergic to wheat supposedly can tolerate spelt without problems.

post-53787-1242464068_thumb.jpg

www.Choco-schmidt.com - they got glutenfree muffin mixes and bread too I assume..

German Quality!!

I looked at their web site, and reviewed the product list they have online for baking products. I see nothing on their PDF list that shows anything about gluten-free baking products being available there.

Do you have some experience with gluten-free products from them, or are you just guessing?

• 2 months later...
www.Choco-schmidt.com - they got glutenfree muffin mixes and bread too I assume..

German Quality!!

I looked at their web site, and reviewed the product list they have online for baking products. I see nothing on their PDF list that shows anything about gluten-free baking products being available there.

Do you have some experience with gluten-free products from them, or are you just guessing?

Sorry for the late reply...didnt check for updates or anything...

Yeah I have bought gluten free mixes there before...noticed some leaflets around the Flour shelf whilst getting the repacked 1kg bags of "Dinkelberger" Mix

I'm not allergic myself, but eitherway..they have GlutenFree Muffin Mix and Gluten Free Baguette Mix..

Hope this helps..