Salary Bracket For Thai Software Developers?

I am in the process of hiring Thai software developers to write software and websites for me. I'm trying to suss out how much would be a fair full time salary for someone with OK English skills, a couple of years of relevant experience, and a Master's degree in Computer Science. Location is Chiang Mai, in case that makes a difference, but I would be interested in hearing about any location.

Also, what is the going rate in general for employees with Master's degrees that are working in the field of their degree, such as engineers, bankers, architects, designers, and other office workers?

What are the working hours for office workers? Where I come from it's about 160 hours per month, weekends off, and you get 3-4 weeks paid vacation. I assume it's a bit different in Thailand...

Any info greatly appreciated!

No sure about salaries in Chiang Mai, but a typical work week would be 5 1/2 days (including Saturday morning) and 6 days' holiday a year (in addition to statutory holidays).

Thanks for that. I talked to a guy today who has a friend with about three years experience, and he is getting around 25K in Chiang Mai. His English is not good, tho. Anybody else with ballpark figures they'd like to share?

No sure about salaries in Chiang Mai, but a typical work week would be 5 1/2 days (including Saturday morning) and 6 days' holiday a year (in addition to statutory holidays).

Thanks for that. I talked to a guy today who has a friend with about three years experience, and he is getting around 25K in Chiang Mai. His English is not good, tho. Anybody else with ballpark figures they'd like to share?

My friend had a graduate, experienced English speaker working for him full time for 20k per month. His hours were 8 hours per day, 6 days per week. One day holiday per month. I have seen some of the sites this guy designed and he was very good, but to be fair he was more of a webmaster/ graphic designer than a software developer.

I work for a MNC - most of our office staff have oversea's post grad's with a few only having oversea's bachelors.

They tend to work very long hours but that is not fixed for them - they want to get on and do so voluntarily - 10-12 hours a day for 5 days

Because of the competition in the roiles they have and the fact their English has to be such a high standard for the industry we are in we pay quite well - Its about 35-40K THB starting salary a month with pretty good rises each year - they are also averaging 2-3 months bonus a year

My friend had a graduate, experienced English speaker working for him full time for 20k per month. His hours were 8 hours per day, 6 days per week. One day holiday per month. I have seen some of the sites this guy designed and he was very good, but to be fair he was more of a webmaster/ graphic designer than a software developer.

That's very useful, thanks. I had an applicant asking for 20K. Her English was fair, not great, she had a few years relevant experience, and seemed bright and willing to learn. She was expecting to work 8 hours per day, five days a week. I thought she was asking a bit too much for her level, and what you say would confirm that a fair salary would be lower than 20K, esp. since I believe Chiang Mai salaries are in general a bit lower than in Bangkok... I was tempted to take her on anyway, since I could use the help immediately, but in the end we could not find a compromise.

Slightly off topic, where would be the best places to advertise such a position? Newspaper classifieds? English or Thai? Any well visited job websites? Head hunting at universities?

Thanks for the input :o

My web development company is based in Chiang Mai.

We pay our guys between 15 and 35k a month dependent on experience. (0-5 years+, poor - good english)

They do five 8 hour days a week.

I reckon 35 is a bit over the odds however.

PM me if you want to go out for a drink and a chat somewhere.

Why not hire a German from Mae Hong Son for 45000 Baht a month (5*8 hours, 14 days holiday) ?

Good english skills, 20 years experience as a programmer. PM to me if you are interested.

Otherwise you get what you pay for. I know why i'm still doing my business alone here in Thailand.

Why not hire a German from Mae Hong Son for 45000 Baht a month (5*8 hours, 14 days holiday) ?

Good english skills, 20 years experience as a programmer. PM to me if you are interested.

Otherwise you get what you pay for. I know why i'm still doing my business alone here in Thailand.

Thanks for the suggestion, and it seems like a good offer, but there are requirements for a certain Thai/falang ratio that must be kept :o

• 2 weeks later...

"where would be the best places to advertise such a position? Newspaper classifieds? English or Thai? Any well visited job websites? Head hunting at universities?"

I have the same question, also Chiang Mai, looking for salespeople.

Did you recieve useful info you wish to share?