Wikipedia Blocked In Thailand...

CosmicSurfer

Since it's been established that wiki is, indeed, NOT blocked and in the interest of accuracy, can a thread title change be considered?

Sorry.. But the BBS Program running this Board, does not allow editing of Titles once Topics are submitted.

Besides... The title remain correct, as it has been supported by other posters, that those users of TRUE do have a problem with accessing Wikipedia, whether intentially, or through ineptitude. It is OTHER ISPs that seem to be OK. The Original Title was only a question.. Was (IS) Wikipedia Blocked for everybody.. Or ONLY TRUE ???

Sorry to have confused you.

CS

Not confused at all, just that the actual thread's title, "Wikipedia Blocked In Thailand" is a definitive statement and strongly implies governmental involvement, when this is obviously not the case. It is only somewhat tempered by the sub-title of the thread.

I'm also aware that OP's can not change the thread title once it's committed and so my question was more directed at mods who do have the ability to do so.

Perhaps a suitable suggestion might be:

True IP Users Having Difficulty Accessing Wikipedia or something along those lines.

Again.. I stand by my use of this title as is... It is far from Definitive... The comment in the second part of the Title, clearly qualifies, limits and explains... Or is it the Intelligent and Humorous use of Hyperbole that you find offensive?

So sorry if you don't like my writing style, :o

CS

I don't find it offensive.... I'm just wishing to strive for accuracy and honesty on the forum...

and when a statement uses "is" ... as in Wikipedia Is Blocked in Thailand, it IS a definitive statement.... albeit I conceded that the subtitle (which is less noticeable when viewing the Topic Index as it is not in the title) does mildy temper it.

Is there something about:

True IP Users Having Difficulty Accessing Wikipedia

that is not accurate or honest?

Edited by sriracha john

All browsers will have a way to set them up to use a proxy (in IE7 it is in tools the same as Firefox) tools/internet options/connections/settings check "use a proxy server" and enter proxy.asianet.co.th and port 80

Hmmm... somehow, putting a proxy into my connection setting doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy... It's already intrusive, childish and fascist to have the government treating me as brainless, by limiting and censoring the sites I'm "Allowed to access", from their Morally superior and Stagnating viewpoint... (Rant about the current situation visa-vis local Culture and Politics DELETED by POSTER <ME> out of deference to Reality and FEAR of stepping on sensitive toes... But the Adjective "SUPERFICIAL" keeps chasing it's tail around my Brain.)

So allowing TRUE (already an inept organization) to have further control and censorship rights over my Internet experience, by ALLOWING an active proxy, just makes me feel further ... Abused... so I guess I'll just have to learn to live without Wikipedia...

At least until the marketplace WAKES-UP and starts to DEMAND reasonable and decent service.. Or at least.. get what they pay for.

Me.. I have no choice.. TRUE is the ONLY provider currently available in my building (monopoly.. another adjective for Abuse)... So I'll reluctantly pay for the cheapest package I can get... maybe that will help limit the related pain

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

I don't find it offensive.... I'm just wishing to strive for accuracy and honesty on the forum...

and when a statement uses "is" ... as in Wikipedia Is Blocked in Thailand, it IS a definitive statement.... albeit I conceded that the subtitle (which is less noticeable when viewing the Topic Index as it is not in the title) does mildy temper it.

Is there something about:

True IP Users Having Difficulty Accessing Wikipedia

that is not accurate or honest?

Again... Not to pick nits :o ... but the actual title is - "Wikipedia Blocked In Thailand..., or is it just TRUE ???"

It is NOT > "Wikipedia Is Blocked in Thailand".

Maybe I'm too anal about the correct interpretation and use of words, but the "IS" you are attributing to the title IS NOT in the First and most prominent part. (Shades of Bill Clinton.. "It depends on what the meaning of "is" is??") It is clearly in the second.

The Use of an attention-grabbing and controversial TITLE, followed by a clarifying second part, is just a writing tool, used by all Head-line writers in order to make the Article... or in this case Thread... stick out of the pack and attract enough interest to generate some replies... obviously used successfully in this case.

The reason I reject your suggestion is that YOU are making a definitive statement True IP Users Having Difficulty Accessing Wikipedia (something that you accuse me of having done).. while I am only looking for confirmation of my situation.. Maybe it isn't TRUE.. maybe it's something limited and exclusive to my own computer and situation. By asking I'm getting info to make a more definitive and accurate judgment.

Secondly, we have now learned through this thread that ALL TRUE users don't have this same problem.. it seems limited for some reason or other, that probably makes no technical sense to any true (as in real) Networking technician... unlike the semi-trained and closed-minded fools that run and operate TRUE INTERNET services.

Thank you

CS

All browsers will have a way to set them up to use a proxy (in IE7 it is in tools the same as Firefox) tools/internet options/connections/settings check "use a proxy server" and enter proxy.asianet.co.th and port 80

Hmmm... somehow, putting a proxy into my connection setting doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy... It's already intrusive, childish and fascist to have the government treating me as brainless, by limiting and censoring the sites I'm "Allowed to access", from their Morally superior and Stagnating viewpoint... (Rant about the current situation visa-vis local Culture and Politics DELETED by POSTER <ME> out of deference to Reality and FEAR of stepping on sensitive toes... But the Adjective "SUPERFICIAL" keeps chasing it's tail around my Brain.)

So allowing TRUE (already an inept organization) to have further control and censorship rights over my Internet experience, by ALLOWING an active proxy, just makes me feel further ... Abused... so I guess I'll just have to learn to live without Wikipedia...

At least until the marketplace WAKES-UP and starts to DEMAND reasonable and decent service.. Or at least.. get what they pay for.

Me.. I have no choice.. TRUE is the ONLY provider currently available in my building (monopoly.. another adjective for Abuse)... So I'll reluctantly pay for the cheapest package I can get... maybe that will help limit the related pain

CS

Why you don't use just for to connect to Wikipedia an Browser you normally rarly use and set in this browerser the Proxy? So you need that Browser with the Proxy setting in case you'll connectd to Wikipedia only!

Why you don't use just for to connect to Wikipedia an Browser you normally rarly use and set in this browerser the Proxy? So you need that Browser with the Proxy setting in case you'll connectd to Wikipedia only!

OK.. I'm not so stubborn not to not know when I'm licked...

So... I chose my least favorite browser.. Firefox.. and tried the proxy thing.

It worked... and only pisses me off more...

Because now I know that Thanks to TRUE's screw up, I'm forced to Use a Browser I don't like.. and do it in a complicated and Time-wasting way..

When I run into a Wikipedia Link while using Google in another browser, I need to Open Firefox, copy the shortcut from IE, Maxthon or Opera, paste it into Firefox, read the info and then return to my preferred browser to continue my browsing...

What a Pain....

Thank you TRUE.. as usual.. You manage to piss me off again. Just add it to my battle with you over your mobile service (Don't get me started on that.)

But to Lopburi and Reimar and everyone else putting up with my rants and offering constructive suggestions..... Thanks

CS

How about True fixing this problem in the first place? ... is that an over expectation from their customers?

I guess, I should know better ...

If you are using a TRUE connection the procedure is to set up the TRUE proxy and contact will be restored. For Firefox browser you select tools/advanced/network/settings/manual proxy configuration and enter proxy.asianet.co.th and port 80

If you have a router/modem you need to connect direct you enter the IP number in the "no proxy for" line at the bottom.

I followed your advice and I can now wiki to my heart's content! Thank you mucho Lop3! :o

True confirmed to me via phone that Wikipedia blocked SOME of their IP addresses. Mentioned starting with 124. They can not reach Wiki's webmaster is what I'm told. Of course I told them to fix it ASAP.

True = False. Unfortunately no alternatives for me.

http://alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=TH&a...y〈=none

well... if the 26th most popular website is not working for many of its users... then there is obviously something fishy going on.

now I have to resolve to turning on proxy after reaching office and then turning it off when reaching home (buddy).

I see it as a glitch in their attempt to log all traffic to wikipedia to be able to monitor who is posting what and who is accessing what.

This is not a DNS issue as even using a hosts file with wikipedia's IP didnt help. There is no problem is domain resolution.

@Deksan : Totally agree with you.

@wimster : True took you for a ride. my office IP(True) is in the range 58.x.x.x and always has been. Still cant access wikipedia directly.

Sajal <<- is looking for his Tin foil hat.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
True confirmed to me via phone that Wikipedia blocked SOME of their IP addresses. Mentioned starting with 124. They can not reach Wiki's webmaster is what I'm told. Of course I told them to fix it ASAP.

I too am on the TRUE 124.x.x.x IP range and never had a problem with Firefox, Chrome or IE getting to wikipedia

ping en.wikipedia.org

Pinging rr.pmtpa.wikimedia.org [208.80.152.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.80.152.2: bytes=32 time=314ms TTL=44

Reply from 208.80.152.2: bytes=32 time=311ms TTL=44

Reply from 208.80.152.2: bytes=32 time=310ms TTL=44

Ping statistics for 208.80.152.2:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 310ms, Maximum = 314ms, Average = 312ms

I too am on the TRUE 124.x.x.x IP range and never had a problem with Firefox, Chrome or IE getting to wikipedia

ping en.wikipedia.org

Pinging rr.pmtpa.wikimedia.org [208.80.152.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.80.152.2: bytes=32 time=311ms TTL=44

Reply from 208.80.152.2: bytes=32 time=310ms TTL=44

Ping statistics for 208.80.152.2:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 310ms, Maximum = 314ms, Average = 312ms

Trust your word but I am baffled to learn that a THAI ISP has actually confirmed/admitted to have blocked something! Could not even imagine that something like that will ever happen :o

Edited by webfact

...Could not even imagine that something like that will ever happen :o

Yes. It never happens.

Access Denied (policy_denied)

Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL...

For assistance, contact your network support team.