Is It Safer To Drive A Car High On Wheels ?

Hi,

I've seen a car looking as this one in BKK and I wonder if it would be safer to drive a car high on wheels in Thailand, because knowing how many people die on roads here every year I would like to find the safest car.

Is is stupid to think that when another car bumps your car from rear it will crash on your wheels and then lower the violence of the impact ? And if you crash a front car you wont get the engine in your stomach as it sometimes happens ?

Hope that you got my explanation.

Thanks for advice.

tony_label_days.jpg

post-5987-1195978644_thumb.jpg

Edited by frenchFARANGbkk

Do you feel you want this for safety, or does your ego think it will be cool? The ego can be quite manipulative and make you think otherwise. Is this thing standard or has somchai taken a vehicle which cost millons to develop and attacked it with his rusty spanner set bolting on parts. Mai pen rai. Maybe if you are really concerned about safety practice on keeping your speed down and staying calm in all situations.

Suspect Mr boy-racer in his big pick up is less safe than granma on her handa wave

Pickups aren't as safe as cars to begin with. By raising the center of gravity (as that person has done), the chances or having a rollover have been GREATLY increased. That pickup would be fine for off-roading which is what I imagine the person would use it for. Driving around town and on the highway at speed wouldn't be safe as a simple swerve to avoid a collision could result in you losing control of the vehicle very easily. With all the crazy driving here, you would want something that handles well.

Do you feel you want this for safety, or does your ego think it will be cool? The ego can be quite manipulative and make you think otherwise. Is this thing standard or has somchai taken a vehicle which cost millons to develop and attacked it with his rusty spanner set bolting on parts. Mai pen rai. Maybe if you are really concerned about safety practice on keeping your speed down and staying calm in all situations.

Suspect Mr boy-racer in his big pick up is less safe than granma on her handa wave

No, really, I don't mind to drive anything cool in Thailand, I just want to survive on roads full of retarded drivers.

Pickups aren't as safe as cars to begin with. By raising the center of gravity (as that person has done), the chances or having a rollover have been GREATLY increased. That pickup would be fine for off-roading which is what I imagine the person would use it for. Driving around town and on the highway at speed wouldn't be safe as a simple swerve to avoid a collision could result in you losing control of the vehicle very easily. With all the crazy driving here, you would want something that handles well.

I agree with you but as I think that nobody should drive faster than 100 km/h in Thailand and that this car would be used mainly in Phuket, do you still think it's a bad idea ?

What about front or rear crash, wouldn't it be safer to be in this car than in any "normal" one ?

Thanks.

What about front or rear crash, wouldn't it be safer to be in this car than in any "normal" one ?

Safer for you, but not for the people in the other car involved in the crash... Maybe fine if it is "them" crashing into "you", but what if "you" happen to crash into someone else?

Elevated cars, including pick-ups and SUVs also cause more serious injuries than conventional sedans in case of collisions with pedestrians, because they hit at chest level instead of at leg level.

Sounds like those elevated cars will teach the lazy pedestrians a lesson; referring to those who choose to dash across the road rather than use the foot bridges. Seriously though, SUV's with their higher bodies tend to hit regular cars in the weaker areas (glass/roof supports) which poses a greater threat to the car's passengers. On the other hand, SUV's are FAR more likely to roll over, particularly if they slip off the road; a wheel could get caught in a rut and cause a "snap roll", tossing the SUV right over. The weight of the chassis, drive train, etc would easily crumple the roof which is much lighter/weaker. Without the rollbars, the driver's/passengers' heads are completely exposed.

No, really, I don't mind to drive anything cool in Thailand, I just want to survive on roads full of retarded drivers.

If safety is your prime concern, get a Volvo.

Ditto that. You can get a variety of used Volvos like a 940 here in nice shape for pretty reasonable prices. Although I wanted a rear wheel drive model we picked up an 850 for about 300,000. Looked like it came off the showroom floor and has served us well for the last year.