Champions League Venue

KevinHunt

Since the Champions league matches now start at 2.45am I have started going to Koey Chiang Mai restaurant, next to Rasta Art Cafe on Sriphum Rd. They are open 24 hours a day, I believe, and draw a crowd of football loving Thais, as well as a few farangs. If anyone is looking for a venue, this is the best place I've found. They have about 4 big TVs and they open the sound, although it is usually the Thai version. I'll be there to shout for Liverpool on Wednesday night/Thurs morning, if anyone cares to join me.

Since the Champions league matches now start at 2.45am I have started going to Koey Chiang Mai restaurant, next to Rasta Art Cafe on Sriphum Rd. They are open 24 hours a day, I believe, and draw a crowd of football loving Thais, as well as a few farangs. If anyone is looking for a venue, this is the best place I've found. They have about 4 big TVs and they open the sound, although it is usually the Thai version. I'll be there to shout for Liverpool on Wednesday night/Thurs morning, if anyone cares to join me.

Thanks for the info Kevin - it's good to know this place. If I didn't have a big TV myself and can fall into bed immediately afterwards, I would join you. Good luck to Liverpool- hope Rafa gets the tinkering right.

Pull up a sandbag, and I'll tell you about the time ....

Before UBC came to Thailand, the only way of receiving Premier League football was via huge satelite dish. Just about the only bar in town that had such a thing was The Spotlight bar. They could pick it up from Indonesian TV, if I remember correctly.

After tennis on a Saturday evening my tennis partner and I would make our way there to enjoy the match. Having now become frequent visitors there, my wife became a bit suspiscious and accused me of chasing the girls. Which only goes to show how little women understand us. Why on earth would I be watching the girls do their tricks when Robbie Fowler was doing his tricks on the screen?

I can even recall my mate Jack complaining with a scantilly-clad girl for getting between him and the TV because he almost missed seeing a goal.

However, the half time show there was more interesting than the adverts, I must admit.

Edited by Crow Boy

Ah, footie at the Spotlight brings back memories. I used to try for one of those booths at the back and only went in there when football was on. I lost count of the 'companions' I turned down because of the match and the looks of amazement when I said 'sorry I'm watching football'. However, after I became well recognised for my lack of interest, it got to the point that no-one bothered me - even if I wanted them to!!

Spicy's good for the CL. Beer, big screen, soccer, lots of girls dancing on your lap. The perfect combo.

Added requirement: The place needs to have oxygen in sufficient volume to sustain life.

Maybe for some of the bigger games (and when we're out of Daylight Saving time) we can make it a gettogether somewhere? Either the place the Kevin mentioned in the original post, or somewhere else. Or someone's house, even.

Strickly BYODG tho. (Bring Your Own Dancing Girls)

Edited by chanchao

Two posts have been deleted and a red card issued. You all know the rules but I draw your attention to:

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

And before someone makes a mistake of commenting on the above:

5) Discussion of moderation issues, actions or moderation policies concerning individual cases are not allowed in the forums. Such comments should be directed to a moderator or administrator, and not discussed on the forum.

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

Two posts have been deleted and a red card issued. You all know the rules but I draw your attention to:

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

And before someone makes a mistake of commenting on the above:

5) Discussion of moderation issues, actions or moderation policies concerning individual cases are not allowed in the forums. Such comments should be directed to a moderator or administrator, and not discussed on the forum.

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

I completely agree with you removing one of the posts I saw briefly. Extremely bad taste.

Back on topic, I may well make it tonight for The Man U game. Although I support Liverpool I'm not your average ' I hate everyone else' football fan. If you like football you have to admire the style and flair of Arsenal and even the skills of Man U. To prove my point to an expat Everton fan, who only ever referred to Liverpool as 'The Redsh*tes' I hung an Everton scarf next to my Liverpool scarf in the pub, which would be unheard of in Liverpool I imagine. I've seen plenty of cars in Thailand with both Liverpool and Man U stickers. Why not, I say.

One thing I haven't figured about the Thais is ... when they talk about 'Looney' is it a mis-pronumtiation or a character judgement, or both!!

Back on topic, I may well make it tonight for The Man U game. Although I support Liverpool I'm not your average ' I hate everyone else' football fan. If you like football you have to admire the style and flair of Arsenal and even the skills of Man U. To prove my point to an expat Everton fan, who only ever referred to Liverpool as 'The Redsh*tes' I hung an Everton scarf next to my Liverpool scarf in the pub, which would be unheard of in Liverpool I imagine. I've seen plenty of cars in Thailand with both Liverpool and Man U stickers. Why not, I say.

One thing I haven't figured about the Thais is ... when they talk about 'Looney' is it a mis-pronumtiation or a character judgement, or both!!

Maybe they recognise something about him we don't :o

A friend of mine is a keen (ok rabid) supporter of Liverpool - he will barrack for Liverpool and anyone who is playing against Everton :D

Hope the game tonight is a good one - to be honest what I know about English/European football (soccer) you could fit on the back of a matchbox but I started watching it in Samuii and while I will never be a fan I can see the skill especially when they fall over and roll around in agony like a bunch of nancies after a minor touch by an opposing player. Oscar material some of that stuff they do for a free kick :D

CB

Maybe they recognise something about him we don't :o

A friend of mine is a keen (ok rabid) supporter of Liverpool - he will barrack for Liverpool and anyone who is playing against Everton :D

Hope the game tonight is a good one - to be honest what I know about English/European football (soccer) you could fit on the back of a matchbox but I started watching it in Samuii and while I will never be a fan I can see the skill especially when they fall over and roll around in agony like a bunch of nancies after a minor touch by an opposing player. Oscar material some of that stuff they do for a free kick :D

CB

Oh I think we recognise that particular trait in Rooney, but we just don't say it.

Although I'm a very keen football fan and watch just about everything worth watching, I certainly agree with you that the acting and 'rolling around in agony like a bunch of nancies' is one element that has crept into the game and spoiled it. One way they could stop this is the same as rugby - carry on playing whilst the trainer is attending to the player, or any player hurt badly enough to require a trainer cannot come back on the field for 10 minutes, you can't get over an injury that makes you scream in pain in just 30 seconds.

I used to brag about how footballers run around for 90 minutes and therefore much fitter than American footballers. However it seems that playing more than 90 minutes a week and they need a weeks rest inbetween - its crazy.

Liverpool and Rafa appear to be one of the main culprits in this. I look at Torres and I see a big strong young man, who gets paid a fortune. Why does he need resting? My son plays twice a week in UK for nothing and he's older than Torres AND runs around a darn site more AND gets more crunching tackles AND holds down a 40 hour a week job!

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin - You must be a happy chappie this morning?

Yes. They still need to beat Marseille, but it's looking good. It got a bit cold at 4am but the late goals warmed me up.

Here we go again. One more win and we're through. I'll be the only one (daft enough to be) wearing a scarf. Hopefully it will be early goals that warm me up this time round. Same time, same place, same result?.