Driving Licence

nokia

I'm thinking of visiting my embassy for a proof of residence and then apply for a Thai driving licence. Do i really need a Thai driving licence when i've a International Driving Permit and i dont stay for more than 6 months? I heard that the National parks have stopped giving local rates to foreigners w thai driving licence. So what's the incentive?

Diificult one to answer. I was in the same quandarry last year but decided to get one anyway.

As far as I see it there are 2 main benefits:

1) Since having my license I have been stopped 2 times in the car, shown the Thai DL, and been waved on. Prior to that I was stopped 4 or 5 times, and encouraged to donate to the 'tea fund' on each occassion.

2) The national parks are in disarray at the moment, some will allow Thai DL's to get Thai price, others won't (see separate thread on this - there seems to be no definitive answer). If you get in one park at Thai prices then you have covered the cost of your DL, residency cert, and medical cert.

Dual pricing is not confined to national parks however. In Pattaya I regularly have to go to the Crocodile Farm and Pattaya Park with visiting guests, both of which will charge Thai prices on production of a DL (There are lots of attractions that don't, but I am sure there are many others that do).

Going to get my 5 year DL in a few weeks, I would say that I have saved the 550 baht fee nearly 10 times over in the last 12 months.

Edit to add: You don't need to go to the embassy to get residency cert, local immi will do it for 250 bht I think.

Edited by sweetchariot

I'm thinking of visiting my embassy for a proof of residence and then apply for a Thai driving licence. Do i really need a Thai driving licence when i've a International Driving Permit and i dont stay for more than 6 months? I heard that the National parks have stopped giving local rates to foreigners w thai driving licence. So what's the incentive?

You don't mention the type of visa that you obtain to enter Thailand. The visa type makes a difference.

Diificult one to answer. I was in the same quandarry last year but decided to get one anyway.

1) Since having my license I have been stopped 2 times in the car, shown the Thai DL, and been waved on. Prior to that I was stopped 4 or 5 times, and encouraged to donate to the 'tea fund' on each occassion.

2) The national parks are in disarray at the moment, some will allow Thai DL's to get Thai price, others won't (see separate thread on this - there seems to be no definitive answer). If you get in one park at Thai prices then you have covered the cost of your DL, residency cert, and medical cert.

Dual pricing is not confined to national parks however. In Pattaya I regularly have to go to the Crocodile Farm and Pattaya Park with visiting guests, both of which will charge Thai prices on production of a DL (There are lots of attractions that don't, but I am sure there are many others that do).

Going to get my 5 year DL in a few weeks, I would say that I have saved the 550 baht fee nearly 10 times over in the last 12 months.

Edit to add: You don't need to go to the embassy to get residency cert, local immi will do it for 250 bht I think.

Thanks. Very clear explanation. Seems like a Thai driving licence is good-to-have.

Curious, were u stopped on random road checks or for speeding?

You don't mention the type of visa that you obtain to enter Thailand. The visa type makes a difference.

Usually come on a tourist visa. So i've to go to my embassy.

Thanks. Very clear explanation. Seems like a Thai driving licence is good-to-have.

I think they are the same?!

They were mainly random checks (not roadblocks) where I was accused of speeding, spending too long in the outside lane, etc. Had one roadblock.

BTW are you sure you can get a residency cert on a tourist visa? I thought it had to be non-imm

I don't think that a tourist visa will get you one... I could be wrong.

As far as I am aware and on the assumption that the rules haven't changed, a foreigner needs a non-immigrant visa to obtain a Thai driving licence (most provinces anyway). With a tourist visa (depending on the type) and a 12 month multi-entry visa, you will need to leave the kingdom every 3 months. An International Driving Permit (and in some cases, a home country licence) permits you to drive in Thailand for up to three months from the date of entry.

Note: It would be prudent to confirm that your permit or licence is acceptable to your insurance provider prior to venturing upon the road.

You do need some sort of non imm visa for thai DL !! period, otherwise it is quite painless prosess, as long , as you not colorblind, you'll get ur licence in a day @ 105 Baht it IS money Very Well spent :o

I've a valid DL. I think i better get a non-imm visa, because it's one of the requirements for a DL from any Thai Land Transport Dept. Thanks for the reminder though.

They were mainly random checks (not roadblocks) where I was accused of speeding, spending too long in the outside lane, etc. Had one roadblock.

BTW are you sure you can get a residency cert on a tourist visa? I thought it had to be non-imm

Will driving below 100 km/h help?

Will driving below 100 km/h help?

Haha. Not really. If they need some cash they will make something up. I have been pulled twice for spending too long in the outside lane, when all I was doing was overtaking. Best to make a donation than cause a fuss, or so I have been advised.

Haha. Not really. If they need some cash they will make something up. I have been pulled twice for spending too long in the outside lane, when all I was doing was overtaking. Best to make a donation than cause a fuss, or so I have been advised.

Do they quote a sum or do just give fish out a red note?

Do they quote a sum or do just give fish out a red note?

No figures quoted. I was advised that 200 would do it, which is what I paid most times. Did get away with 100 once.

Most insurance companies will not cover you if you don't have a Thai license, unless it is a rental car. But, you can't get a Thai license with just a tourist visa.

Most insurance companies will not cover you if you don't have a Thai license, unless it is a rental car. But, you can't get a Thai license with just a tourist visa.

Most insurance companies will accept an IDP

Most insurance companies will accept an IDP

But check first

My experience in obtaining a thai dl was a deeply unpleasant one. I had my non immigrant "o" and being a respected member of the community married to a well respected thai lady, I envisaged it would be the simplest of processes.

In short it was the most unpleasant experience of my long tenure in Thailand as I had never personally encountered the oft mentioned corruption in Thailand before. I eventually had to pay 1000 bht "tea" money to an obnoxious fat man who I will take great pleasure in encountering again one day when he doesn't have the counter and his office to hide behind. This was the week before Songkran and apparently its considered quite normal at that time of year to expect to be fleeced with a dual pricing system in operation, 500 bht for thais and upto 1500 bht for farangs

If you have a valid and "real" international drivers licence you should have no problems but a Thai dl ensures you will pass through any police checkpoint and also covers you in case of accident and insurance claims

JAF

My experience in obtaining a thai dl was a deeply unpleasant one. I had my non immigrant "o" and being a respected member of the community married to a well respected thai lady, I envisaged it would be the simplest of processes.

In short it was the most unpleasant experience of my long tenure in Thailand as I had never personally encountered the oft mentioned corruption in Thailand before. I eventually had to pay 1000 bht "tea" money to an obnoxious fat man who I will take great pleasure in encountering again one day when he doesn't have the counter and his office to hide behind. This was the week before Songkran and apparently its considered quite normal at that time of year to expect to be fleeced with a dual pricing system in operation, 500 bht for thais and upto 1500 bht for farangs

If you have a valid and "real" international drivers licence you should have no problems but a Thai dl ensures you will pass through any police checkpoint and also covers you in case of accident and insurance claims

JAF

Sorry to hear about the dual pricing. I guess in LOS, u win some u lose some.

Cheers!

Correct the local immi will give you proof of residence with your Landlord/Ladies permission about 200Baht as opposed to 3,000 from embassy. I got mine recently but had to take the test, I think because they used a well out of date Thai license of mine rather than IDP but got a 5.5 year license immediately

Usually come on a tourist visa. So i've to go to my embassy.

I doubt you will get one on a tourist visa without friends in the department

The national parks have been hit and miss about giving reduced prices to farangs with a Thai DL. I couldn't get reduced price at Doi Inthanon Park, but I didn't care. However, I suspect the National Parks will soon issue new guidelines that will not give such a discount.

However, I enter gated communities several times per week, and admission to non-residents requires that they keep your ID. Thai DL is all they need. I doubt a DL from Texas :o would work. I wouldn't entrust my passport to a rent-a-cop.

JAF

Where did you go JAF? I had no probs in Pattaya.

Did the m/cyc test at the same time which was hilarious. Had 5 mins to read the highway code before the exam, and then the practical. Went in my car so had to borrow a bike - everyone set off around the track together, but mine stalled, by the time I got it started they were all finishing. I then set off alone and went the wrong way - I actually went around the car circuit which is longer but they failed me for going the wrong way. The man said I could try again, and by this time he was mobbed by the impatient car test candidates handing in their papers, and didn't look at me once. Surprisingly I passed with flying colours - with nobody looking.

Maybe this is why the vast majority of m/cyc riders in LOS don't have licenses, as they know it will cost them 55 baht for a card that is worthless?

The national parks have been hit and miss about giving reduced prices to farangs with a Thai DL. I couldn't get reduced price at Doi Inthanon Park, but I didn't care. However, I suspect the National Parks will soon issue new guidelines that will not give such a discount.

I recently visited Phnom Rung with my in-laws. The entry price was Bht 40.00 period! No dual pricing.

Maybe this is why the vast majority of m/cyc riders in LOS don't have licenses, as they know it will cost them 55 baht for a card that is worthless?

I agree that the licence issued after a farcical test is effectively worthless but considering the "fine" of Bht 200.00 for driving without a licence, Bht 55.00 is money well spent, IMO.

You do need some sort of non imm visa for thai DL !! period, otherwise it is quite painless prosess, as long , as you not colorblind, you'll get ur licence in a day @ 105 Baht it IS money Very Well spent :D

how painful is it if you are colourblind ???????? :o:D

>>

Do they quote a sum or do just give fish out a red note?<<

>No figures quoted. I was advised that 200 would do it, which is what I paid most times. Did get away with 100 once.<

Got stopped three times during a recent trip fron NongKhai to Ubon, twice speedtraps, last time roadblock.

First speedtrap I was told to slow down, when waved on with a smile. Second speedtrap ten minutes later, fined (I was speeding!) Told 300 bt at station, or 100 upfront. Paid upfront.

Thisrd times just asked where I came from, where I was going (Driving car with Lao plates), then waved on.

Stopped for speeding two months ago, was told fine 200 Bt, gave him 200, he gave me 100 back!!!

A few times I got off by not speaking Thai at all, just speaking English, or Lao, which always makes them laugh. Even Isan cops look down on Lao as country bumpkins.

>>

Do they quote a sum or do just give fish out a red note?<<

>No figures quoted. I was advised that 200 would do it, which is what I paid most times. Did get away with 100 once.<

Got stopped three times during a recent trip fron NongKhai to Ubon, twice speedtraps, last time roadblock.

First speedtrap I was told to slow down, when waved on with a smile. Second speedtrap ten minutes later, fined (I was speeding!) Told 300 bt at station, or 100 upfront. Paid upfront.

Thisrd times just asked where I came from, where I was going (Driving car with Lao plates), then waved on.

Stopped for speeding two months ago, was told fine 200 Bt, gave him 200, he gave me 100 back!!!

A few times I got off by not speaking Thai at all, just speaking English, or Lao, which always makes them laugh. Even Isan cops look down on Lao as country bumpkins.

Interesting. Maybe becoz you are driving car with Lao plates, that's why you got back 100b. Otherwise, the more the merrier.

Maybe speaking English to traffic cops is better than trying to speak a few words of broken Thai??