Thai, Eva Or Etihad

tolsti

I am looking at flying LHR-BKK in early January and have narrowed the choice down (on price basis) to these three.

Thai

Eva

Etihad

Of these I have only traveled with Etihad so far and their flat beds are great.

Can anyone help by giving me a heads up to what I can expect on Thai or Eva... Seat, service, AVOD etc.

thanks

with etihad you will have a layover - so go rather for direct flight with thai or eva.

eva does have business - but judging by their economy class I wouldn't go for it.

I would go for thai - even for the ease to change return date if you have to extend your stay.

Thanks.. London... I just realised I had forgotten to add the obvious fact that Etihad was a stopper. I don't actually mind that as I get a bit bored and the break to stretch your legs in AUH is fine.

I take on board your comment re Eva.. what's the Thai business Class really like... I keep seeing words like tired, scruffy, attendants just wanting people to go to sleep so they don't have to do anything.

Eva. Usually, fly Premier Economy nowdays. Worth the extra couple of hundred, imo. Having said that, I would probably choose Thai over Eva for basic economy. Thai Air seems to have a bit more leg room and has slightly less of a cattle-truck experience about it, plus the food's marginally better. But all the above is only just so, as economy is pretty dreadful whoever you fly with. And for 12 hours !

Ethiad. Not a direct flight, so haven't flown with them.

Chepest and best booking definately through westeast travel. Unsual for companies, they've actually got better since expanding their sales offices. Not that they were bad before mind.

http://www.westeasttravel.com/user/default.asp

Edited by Happy Hammer

Might not be a factor if you like to break your journey in the Middle East, but I always go for a direct, night-time flight. I find that a nice dinner, then six or seven hours sleep, then breakfast has the journey over before you have time to get bored. Hence with your choice of three I would go for Thai, as you have the option of night flights both ways, unlike Eva which is daytime on the BKK-LHR leg.

I have flown EVA many many times business and a class in between Economy and business used yo be an additional £90) on economy price Lhr-Bkk, I have also flown via several of their way ports and all OK. I have found their service and their executive lounges excellent

Hi Tolsti,

I would stick with Etihad if I were you.

Thai is very expensive for a very inconsistant product. It all depends on type and age of aircraft used, and at the prices they charge it should not be a lottery.

Have no idea about EVA real business class (not the premium economy) but having experienced Etihad now 8 times in business they are tops as far as I'm concerned considering the price.

hope to have helped :o

cheers

onzestan

Not sure why you would want to stop half way on a 12 hour flight if you're flying business class.

Thai have older planes, Eva newer so based on that I would say Eva. However, I've only ever flown BA business and that's a pleasure. Overnight flight into Bkk, evening meal, couple of drinks, sleep (flat beds), breakfast and then you're there.

If you're flying economy, Thai are the best for legroom as they have older planes.

You are about to receive 50 to 100 replies all based on each individuals point of view usually totally diff to your wants and needs. Bet ya this thread gets red hot towards the end. You flown one and I thought flying Biz class you were way better of joining a rewards programme with one airline only. I stuck with Thai and have gold card now, upgrades, double luggage kilos, star alliance club etc etc

Thanks for all those replies whilst I was asleep... it looks like Etihad again and as I am Silver with them the points will help towards the next level. The only real problem with Etihad is the almost total lack of airline partners in their FF program.

I got a decent price on TG from Southall Travel and on EY from Gazelle Travel

I know the Etihad product in Y and in C and was thinking I might try a different airline.

I'll book the Etihad later today.

Hi Tolsti,

I would stick with Etihad if I were you.

Thai is very expensive for a very inconsistant product. It all depends on type and age of aircraft used, and at the prices they charge it should not be a lottery.

Have no idea about EVA real business class (not the premium economy) but having experienced Etihad now 8 times in business they are tops as far as I'm concerned considering the price.

hope to have helped :o

cheers

onzestan

I agree with you about the consistency of the product on Thai - it stretches to the crew you get as well.

I found the crew to/from FRA was nearly always better than the LHR one for some reason

Now I fly SIA through work and see a consistantly excellent product/service

I last flew to Thailand in January 2004, I know it has been a while.

I flew EVA airlines using the Evergreen class which is free to those who join the Evergreen club, no charge.

To me the service and seating is as good as business class on most airlines.

The price was excellant and the service was as good as I have ever had.

I had 3 hot meals between Seattle and Taiwan, very comfortable seats.

In my opinion this is the best deal available to Thailand I Eva from Newark New, Jersey, stopover in Seattle, then another stopover in Taipei, then to bkk.

approximately 5 1/2 hours from Newark to Seattle (short layover). approximately 13 hours from Seattle to Taipei (very short layover) and then 3 1/2 hours from Taipei to Bkk.

The only thing I do not enjoy about flying to Thailand is the fact it takes so long and depending on layovers can be up to 30 hours.

But lets face it just being in Thailand makes the trip well worth the long flights.

Good luck

I last flew to Thailand in January 2004, I know it has been a while.

I flew EVA airlines using the Evergreen class which is free to those who join the Evergreen club, no charge.

To me the service and seating is as good as business class on most airlines.

The price was excellant and the service was as good as I have ever had.

I had 3 hot meals between Seattle and Taiwan, very comfortable seats.

In my opinion this is the best deal available to Thailand I Eva from Newark New, Jersey, stopover in Seattle, then another stopover in Taipei, then to bkk.

approximately 5 1/2 hours from Newark to Seattle (short layover). approximately 13 hours from Seattle to Taipei (very short layover) and then 3 1/2 hours from Taipei to Bkk.

The only thing I do not enjoy about flying to Thailand is the fact it takes so long and depending on layovers can be up to 30 hours.

But lets face it just being in Thailand makes the trip well worth the long flights.

Good luck

It is probably better in Evergreen than biz class in most American airlines v- at least the two i have been in - but nowhere near any of the Euro or Asian ones.

Try Qatar if you can, I find them better in business class than Etihad.

Except for the fact that Qatar business offers "Angled lie-flat"seats. (can't sleep on those)

The lounge at Doha is indeed much better than AbuDhabi. However their timetables don't always work out for me, where Etihad works out perfectly.

There's not much else that can be said about either.

For me its Etihad.

cheers

onzestan

Thanks for all those replies whilst I was asleep... it looks like Etihad again and as I am Silver with them the points will help towards the next level. The only real problem with Etihad is the almost total lack of airline partners in their FF program.

I got a decent price on TG from Southall Travel and on EY from Gazelle Travel

I know the Etihad product in Y and in C and was thinking I might try a different airline.

I'll book the Etihad later today.

We have flown EVA Business several times, its good food and good service and you get fast track in Heathrow Only down side is that the beds are not flat, I don't like them as keep sliding forward.

When we came to live her in Feb we used Etihad and I preferred them..they gave us 80KGs of luggage..we were over but they just said 80. We were picked up free from out house some 55 miles away. The service and food equal to EVA and the beds flat.

BUT I didn't like the stop over...it was 3 hours and not 2 due to waiting for connection plane from FRANCE SO THEY SAID. Lounge is ok..nothing special..EVA lounge/lounge food is better. Usually same priced fare. Cant comment on Thai but they always appear more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...