Help! Our Bikes Were Vandalized!

Rudy47

Good luck with the repairs at Mityon; I think that is your best option so far. But do take pictures of the damage before they do the repairs as the owner will probably spot the repairs and want to know what happened. The pictures and a police report should solve any problem there. Keep the receipts and a list of what was replaced with costs.

Another word of advice, make a note of the frame/engine numbers of your bikes just to make sure that you don't get shafted by the repair shop who may 'outsource' the repairs anyway.

Regarding who did the damage. As well as the motorcycle taxi guys, you may have parked in one of those ill-defined bike rental businesses 'concessions'. You may have thought it public parking (and it truly is) but make note the next time if you are parking in among rows of tightly packed, sometimes identical bikes, usually double-parked with no apparent reason for such a collection such as nearby bars and restaurants.

Once again, please do tell where exactly you did park as it may help others avoid this problem.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband & I parked our rented motorbikes in a public area near walking street. We both rented Finos. On our return from the restaurant, both our bikes' seats were stabbed & slashed with a knife. Someone had also carved up the body of the bikes with very deep grooves.

We figure the shop where we rented them from will attempt to charge us a lot using their own repair shops. Maybe/maybe not? They have 2000 baht deposit and a copy of our passports. We're honest people and will pay for this.

We have 2 more weeks in Pattaya and was wondering if anyone can please help us find an inexpensive shop to have these repairs done before returning them to the shop in 2 weeks? We've both saved up all year and did so many hours of overtime just so we could make this 3 week holiday.

Any serious help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Phyllis & Rudy Stone

I suggest you go to a yamaha dealer, get a quote on the parts ( in writing,they are much cheaper than you think ) go back with the bikes , dont mention the quote , yet !, wait for his assesment, if its less take it, if not produce the invoice and show it,.

Somewhat unrelated, there was an old scam that I read about where the owners of the rental shops would follow the customers and either steal the motorbike using their copy of the key or remove a small part that would prevent the bike from starting. Then the customer would likely contact the shop who would gladly help by sending a mechanic of their choice who would charge an exorbitant amount for the "repair."

I hope someone can give you the advise you require. Good luck and happy holidays from now on. :o

this is unlikely. normally when there's a problem with a rental bike or car the company should replace it free of charge. they should have insurance or something to protect them in their rental business and they know the risks.

my advice is, return the bikes and complain to the owner that they were bandalised and you cannot use them in these condition. demand that they replace them ASAP or return your money back.

enjoy your holiday!

Have you ever rented a bike in pattaya ? with this advise i doubt it, this is not torquay its thailand,. !they will pay, ill bet,.........

This story is very worrying.

Perhaps you parked your bike somewhere it shouldn't have been and the property owners got angry. Perhaps you parked them in a motorcycle taxi spot...those guys can be ruthless. Maybe one of your "girlfriends" got jealous??

Did you report this to the police?

I would just return them to the shop...not all rental companies are scammers.

Even if you took them to a repair shop it's likely the bike owner will notice something is not right and charge you anyway.

tropo, this is a couple on holiday, i doubt its a pissed off girlfriend !, more like they parked in someones spot, my friend parked outside a closed restaurant, when he returned an hour later hot fat had been thrown over his truck, be aware,. thais smiles are sometimes not as they appear ! :o

So, 20 posts and not one recommendation, apart from going to the main Yamaha dealer.

While this is sensible, it is not cheap.

My wife uses a repair shop in Soi 17, near the Liberty Mansions building - but there are a couple of others in this street. Personally I would try to get a Thai to handle the matter for you.

There are so many posters on this site who claim to use motor-bikes, yet it seems none of them know of a good, cheap, repair shop.

My husband and I went to the Mityon shop on Pattaya Klang corner soi Arunotai. They would loan us bikes while doing the body work. Total cost 3,550. Anyone with an opinion of this price? Thank you for all your replies.

Seems about right, they are a decent lot in there,

This story is very worrying.

Perhaps you parked your bike somewhere it shouldn't have been and the property owners got angry. Perhaps you parked them in a motorcycle taxi spot...those guys can be ruthless. Maybe one of your "girlfriends" got jealous??

tropo, this is a couple on holiday, i doubt its a pissed off girlfriend !,

Actually I was referring to hired company which became a little too attached. That's why I used inverted commas around "girlfriend". It's quite common, even with guys here for a week or two.

... my friend parked outside a closed restaurant, when he returned an hour later hot fat had been thrown over his truck, be aware,. thais smiles are sometimes not as they appear ! :o

Back in 1988, I parked outside a beer bar while me and my buddies drank in another beer bar across the street. When I went back to start the car, I was attacked by 'staff', ending up with 32 stitches in my face after a girl in the 'offended' bar blind-sided me with a large Kloster bottle. Woke up in the Soi 9 lockup with my 2 hapless buddies, a hangover and a headwound.

It does piss me off that these prats think they own the street outside their shophouse after already placing obstructions on the sidewalk that forces you to walk in the gutter. But I am still alive and now I don't park anywhere that is being 'watched' or marked with stools, rubbish bins or badly parked motorbikes like that bloody gogo bar near the #2 road end of Soi Postoffice. They get away with lining their employees bikes up along the center of the street!

So, 20 posts and not one recommendation, apart from going to the main Yamaha dealer.

My wife uses a repair shop in Soi 17, near the Liberty Mansions building - but there are a couple of others in this street. Personally I would try to get a Thai to handle the matter for you.

There are so many posters on this site who claim to use motor-bikes, yet it seems none of them know of a good, cheap, repair shop.

My husband and I went to the Mityon shop on Pattaya Klang corner soi Arunotai. They would loan us bikes while doing the body work. Total cost 3,550. Anyone with an opinion of this price? Thank you for all your replies.

I am not currently in Pattaya, nor do I ride a m/c nor do I have an idea whether the price is right but I do know a bit about bodywork repairs. As has been said earlier NO repair to any plastic fairing is going to look exactly as new. There is a possibility that the repair MIGHT be good enough to pass a cursory glance but it might not and then you'll be stuck with an arguement regarding damage and repairs and end up paying anyway. You could drive around a lot and try and hide the areas with dirt and hope they don't wipe it clean during inspection. You could just return them and blank the rental shop when they accuse you of damage (from your OP I would guess you're not this kind of person) but you are likely then to be meeting the BiB (police) which will cost you more.

Personally I'd either go the get quotes and come clean route or get total replacement identical genuine parts.

I think Phil Harries' comments are going to prove true. More than likely these people will notice

the repairs because it is, after all, what they do all day long. As unpleasant as it is, you need

to attempt to negotiate a fair price with the rental operator for repair. Trying to do this on the

sly, may backfire on you. You'll be out the 3,500 baht and probably face a 2nd round of billing

before getting those passports back. I wouldn't have put it past the local taxi stand for inflicting

the damage, they can be an unsavory crew. When they're not giving rides to passengers, which

is about 98% of the time, they just seem to sit around and talk trash all day long. Yes, some are

good but the majority, in this town anyway. Get involved in their fair share of misdeeds. :o

Seems about right, they are a decent lot in there,

I checked a seat-replacement place on Third Road as I was going past today - just South of Pattaya Klang.

To replace the seats would be over 1,000 baht for the pair of bikes, depending on model - and these did not look like fancy seats.

If it's plastic panelling that's damaged, I think you'd need a respray of the entire components, plus decals, etc.

All-in-all I think you've got a fair price there - do it just before you are due to hand the bikes back - you do not want it to happen again!

I usually have to sign a contract for rental. Most of the time on the contract there is a few lines about damage. If no contract they may follow along this line of thinking. THE RENTAL SHOP USES THEIR OWN APPROVED SHOP FOR REPAIRS unless flat etc.

That is why I stated before to go to a dealer shop and get an estimate and then go to the rental shop and sort this out. Do so early to give them a few days to sort out the repair. You can let them know ahead of time about the estimate you got.

These rental shop do get a premium out of repair work but their time plus down time on bike may be the reason. I have not had a bad experience and have done several times. :o

Actually I was referring to hired company which became a little too attached. That's why I used inverted commas around "girlfriend". It's quite common, even with guys here for a week or two.

Hmmm... you familiar with this behaviour Trop?

Not personally because I don't "date" the hired staff here in Pattaya, but everyone knows they can get very nasty when they lose face. It could be a big problem for newbies who don't know the ropes....right?

Did you forget about that irate women who blind-sided you with a bottle already? She had no reason to 'lose face' and just about killed you...unless there is far more to your story than you're letting on.

Edited by tropo

Hmmm... you familiar with this behaviour Trop?

Not personally because I don't "date" the hired staff here in Pattaya, but everyone knows they can get very nasty when they lose face. It could be a big problem for newbies who don't know the ropes....right?

Did you forget about that irate women who blind-sided you with a bottle already? She had no reason to 'lose face' and just about killed you...unless there is far more to your story than you're letting on.

Now now, I was only having a jape. Didn't really think you played on the other fairway mate.

The bar moll tagged me because I had taken out the eye of the bar owner and was holding my own against formidable odds and large pieces of rattan furniture (3 liters of vodka in 24 hours will do that for you). I guess she was defending her bosses (one-eyed) face.

The bar moll tagged me because I had taken out the eye of the bar owner and was holding my own against formidable odds and large pieces of rattan furniture (3 liters of vodka in 24 hours will do that for you). I guess she was defending her bosses (one-eyed) face.

OK!

That would explain that bottle to your head. :o:D

We revisited the scene of the crime which occurred just outside Mr. Singh's tailor shop in the little lot on the corner of 2nd road and soi Marine. We've parked there many times without problems so we know it's not a taxi spot. We were given the advice to visit the Platinum shop on 3rd road across from Xzyte disco and were given a fair price just over 2000 which was better than Mityon's 3550. Thank you for all your suggestions and to Bobby at Platinum Motorbikes 3rd Road. Now we must hope the shop doesn't recognize the damage done on return.

Phyllis Stone

Edited by Rudy47

We revisited the scene of the crime which occurred just outside Mr. Singh's tailor shop in the little lot on the corner of 2nd road and soi Marine. We've parked there many times without problems so we know it's not a taxi spot. We were given the advice to visit the Platinum shop on 3rd road across from Xzyte disco and were given a fair price just over 2000 which was better than Mityon's 3550. Thank you for all your suggestions and to Bobby at Platinum Motorbikes 3rd Road. Now we must hope the shop doesn't recognize the damage done on return.

Phyllis Stone

I guess I do not understand. If you rent the bikes and return them in equal to or better than the condition that you took them, why should the vendor be worried. I think I would repair them (as you are doing) and tell the vendor that he is lucky and got new parts installed on his bikes. If I were him, I would be happy. Maybe I am wrong but I have never had a problem with bike rentals before.

BTW On Central Road one block from Second Road (walking toward Beach Road) across from Top's, there is a bike vendor that does not require any documention at all. I rented from there last week and had no problems.

Edited by hiromj

For future information:

Going from Suksabai to Tesco's today I strolled along the soi connecting Soi 17 to Thepprasit.

There is a bar there called Handlebar and next to it a reasonably well equipped service garage. I know nothing more about it, but both places are decorated the same, so I would guess that an enthusiast has sunk his money into both ventures.

BTW On Central Road one block from Second Road (walking toward Beach Road) across from Top's, there is a bike vendor that does not require any documention at all. I rented from there last week and had no problems.

You mean you just walk up and say 'I want that bike' give the bloke money and drive away? Very trusting of him.

Phyllis Stone

I have parked in that spot before and have trouble with the night watchman in the hotel that has an entrance a little firthe up second road but whose rooms do extend to be over Mr Sings shop. Off the top of my head I think the hotel name is Cherry One. I will double check when I go past tomorrow.

I didn't ever get my bike damaged but a couple of times had an offensive note stuck to my bike regarding where I was able to park or not.

In the end I decide that it was not worth parking there in case I ever did get my bike damaged.

I would however bet my house on the fact that it was the Cherry One night watchman that slashed your bike.

Phyllis Stone

if there is any flaws in the work and he notices you will have wasted your money, il bet they spot any repairs, i would have replaced the bits,, good luck ,.

What concerns me most is the fact, that posters here think that there are special parking spots for motorbike taxi's: THAT'S NOT THE CASE!!!!

Of course the drivers try to claim the best spots, but there is no spot assigned for them!! If you park your bike on a spot, claimed by a motorbike taxi driver, than that's his problem.

You only have to take care the legal matters such as: red-white and yellow-white markings.

What concerns me most is the fact, that posters here think that there are special parking spots for motorbike taxi's: THAT'S NOT THE CASE!!!!

Of course the drivers try to claim the best spots, but there is no spot assigned for them!! If you park your bike on a spot, claimed by a motorbike taxi driver, than that's his problem. You only have to take care the legal matters such as: red-white and yellow-white markings.

You are way off track here. This is bad advice.

If you park your bike on a spot claimed by a motorbike taxi driver, then that's YOUR problem.

If motobike taxi drivers claim a spot anywhere in town, it's best to respect that and find another parking spot.

Trying to heavy-hand motobike taxis is probably the most dangerous and stupid practice that anyone could undertake.

Of course the drivers try to claim the best spots, but there is no spot assigned for them!! If you park your bike on a spot, claimed by a motorbike taxi driver, than that's his problem.

You only have to take care the legal matters such as: red-white and yellow-white markings.

You really MUST be tingtong if you reckon you can park in their undesignated but very well protected area. Last year I am stopping to pick up my girlfriend at top-end of Soi Diamond. I have my hazard flashers on and sitting 3' off the kerb opposite a power pole that has a hand made 'Taxi - no parking' sign tied onto it. Within a minute, a young motorcycle taxi punk starts shouting through my open passenger window, 'No stop here!' I was not stopping their business but he got a wild hair up is arse when I said 'Ha natee krapp, jai yen yen.' At that we went off like a bottle rocket, called me certain piece of female anatomy (in Thai) and made a move for his plastic lawn chair. Since I already have been a victim of Thai packdog violence, I drove off, circled the block and picked up my girl a bit further along.

if there is any flaws in the work and he notices you will have wasted your money, il bet they spot any repairs, i would have replaced the bits,, good luck ,.

I agree. These guys aren't stupid, and th OP is still counting on "hope". If the rental company spots the damages, they will probably keep the 2K deposit, so your total loss will be 4K.

Now we must hope the shop doesn't recognize the damage done on return.

Phyllis Stone

If you return to this thread after you have returned the motorcycles, I'd be curious to know how it worked out.

It could be useful information for future motorcycle renters that have problems like this.

Edited by bino

Of course the drivers try to claim the best spots, but there is no spot assigned for them!! If you park your bike on a spot, claimed by a motorbike taxi driver, than that's his problem. You only have to take care the legal matters such as: red-white and yellow-white markings.

If you park your bike on a spot claimed by a motorbike taxi driver, then that's YOUR problem.

If motobike taxi drivers claim a spot anywhere in town, it's best to respect that and find another parking spot.

Trying to heavy-hand motobike taxis is probably the most dangerous and stupid practice that anyone could undertake.

Ah ok, so if certain people with a big mouth claim a certain part of a PUBLIC area you accept that? Amazing........!!

Ah ok, so if certain people with a big mouth claim a certain part of a PUBLIC area you accept that? Amazing........!!

All motorbike taxi drivers pay for their spot. I know of a few taxi places where they pay the business owner about 2000Baht per month. As for the pure public places I guess the fee is collected by the police or maybe someone from city hall, not sure how that works but they all pay something to someone.

This does of course not mean that they are allowed to lay claim to public parking places but they do that anyway and until the police take care of this practice you are well advice to stay clear of these areas, if the police are involved in collecting fees you may have to wait a long time for this practice to stop. :o

The other day I tried to park in a taxi only area and was told by a driver I could not park there. I moved the bike to the street (which had traffic) and parked. The whole line of drivers looked puzzled as I walked into the store to do my business. A couple of minutes later I was on my way. Yes it did cause some traffic problems. TIT :o

Yes Sir. I make an effort to stay well away from motorcycle taxi parking and you would be well advised to do the same.

At the end of the day, it's always so easy to find a park, why would you risk the wrath of these people to prove your point?

I have a question for you. Do you actually live in Pattaya and ride motorcycles around here?

You mean you just walk up and say 'I want that bike' give the bloke money and drive away? Very trusting of him.

Exactly. Same with a friend of mine. Minimal paperwork also.