Moving To Pattaya

jay1406

hi everyone

i would like to live in pattaya but would like to know what the cost of living is.

i can buy a small condo and have some money to invest for an income.

also how easy is it to get relevant paperwork. i understand it is more difficult

if you need to work.

thank you for any information supplied

jay.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you on your own?

A small condo will cost you about 1 million baht - this is one room, about 30 sq. m.

You will need about 45k per month to live - food, bar, bar-fines, etc. (assuming this is the reason for going to Pattaya). But, if you want to be legal, you must get the right approvals from the Immigration Police.

Are you over 50? If so, retirement visa means you have to transfer into Thailand 80k baht per month, or 800k per year.

If you marry a local girl, get a marriage permit to stay, these figures are cut in half. But your expenses go through the roof.

If you can invest money in a business here, you can get a Non-Imm B visa, then get a work permit, then pay tax. But your minimum salary level will be 60k per month (American, Japanese, Canadian) 50k per month (European, Australian), 45k per month (UK, Korea) (according to Price Waterhouse).

If you marry a local girl, get a marriage permit to stay, these figures are cut in half. But your expenses go through the roof.

Up2U

I rent my condo (10,000 baht pm)

Im under 50 and have a Non-Imm O visa

I transfer just over 60k each month

Im not married yet but have a long term g/f why would my cost of living go up?

I am considering marrage one day but only because she would get half my pension when I snuff it

Somehow most Thai girl's expectations increase once they have the ring on their finger.

It is also more difficult for you to just walk away, especially if you have bought the condo

Up2U

I rent my condo (10,000 baht pm)

Im under 50 and have a Non-Imm O visa

I transfer just over 60k each month

I am considering marrage one day but only because she would get half my pension when I snuff it

I am married, live in Pattaya.

Earlier this year the wife decided that she would like a house built in Chaiyaphum. So she went ahead, discussed everything with the builder (and her mum) then turned to me and said she was going to give me a house.

Great, I thought. 'All I need is sixty or seventy meung' says she.

Just as I was saving for the 'Marriage Permit Extension'. So here am I, still saving for MPE, but with a lot less in the bank.

"Two can live as cheaply as one"?? Forget it. I did a lot better in money terms when I was a bachelor, taking girls home three or four (or more) times a week.

But I would not want to miss my daughter's growing up, I love my wfe, don't 'butterfly' (much).

So I tolerate the ack of money-management of my wife - just give her pocket money for food and clothing, look after the rest overseas. And she knows that I will not tolerate another house outside Patty.

You're under fifty and looking at your pension prospects? Much more financially in-tune than me. I'm late sixties, still working, hoping to stop when I reach seventy, but not counting on it. :o

thanks guys

i am 36 years old been a couple of times to pattaya and love the place

i have met a girl who i really love and want to be with her. i have about £250k worth of assets. thinking about buying condo because i think it means i can stay

in thailand for 1 year. this would be a trial period and i could always come back

to uk.

if i decide to stay in pattaya have i got enought assets to maintain a good life style

if i spend about 3 mil baht on condo.

also is it usual to pay dowry or help support her family if so how much does

that normally cost.

thanks very much for all help

jay.

:D If you are Thai it is about two months pay. Traditionally speaking, this is kinda the same all over Asia. You are Farang, you need to negotiate, basically the bigger face, Na Yai, the better. Best if you make a show of it also. Gold and presents plus cold hard cash. Thai relatives are the gifts that you keep giving to, love them, but they have a new status to keep, because of their daughters husband. Nam Jai, my daughter is married to a Farang, I'll pay for this round, She'll (daughter) reimburse me. Good Luck. :o

thanks booman

i think it all sounds a bit openended to me. i am in uk at present and the girl says she loves me and won't go with men only dance!! she does not want to work bar

but i told her i can't send her money. she says thats ok and she looks forward to

me coming over to her. how do you determine what is truth and what isn't.

Jay

thanks booman

i think it all sounds a bit openended to me. i am in uk at present and the girl says she loves me and won't go with men only dance!! she does not want to work bar

but i told her i can't send her money. she says thats ok and she looks forward to

me coming over to her. how do you determine what is truth and what isn't.

Jay

OK, my two year old daughter is currently helping me type. Sorry for the bad english but I am rushing a bit. Move here first, get the Condo or house in a gated corporation. Read the book Money Number One. I am happily married to a Thai (with child), but I was married before to a different Thai Lady who only "danced" when I was away.

Trust your eyes and mind, I am 37 years old, once burnt twice shy they say. Be CAREFUL...

:o

cheers booman

already read money number one. she seems genuine to me but then i guess they all do. i speak to her several times a day and always get replies. the way i look at it if i am not with her she can do what she likes i have no control and i am not going to get upset about it but if i can be with her she will be with me till i get fed up with her.

i am going out in january but thinking of making "surprise" visit to see what she is getting up to.

jay

"girl says she loves me and won't go with men only dance"

Sure! You bet!!

This is a wind-up right? :D:o

Up to you my friend, but don't get the towels monogrammed quite yet, okay?

Watch out for Number One first and foremost.

~WISteve

As far as buying condos or houses, my suggestion is "Hasten Slowly".

Too many people jump into a property only to discover a new Karaoke is just opening over the road, or the roads are immpassable much of the day, or it isn't on a baht bus route so the have to buy a car or bike or two, or their neighbours are loud, or any of a hundred other reasons why they wish they had taken their time. Come here and rent on a short term rental until you establish a clear set of housing criteria. You may even find as many have, that you don't need to buy at all, there are many good rental deals going without the headaches and loses many people experience from Pattaya property.

The economic, political and counter party risks alone are enough to curl your toe nails!

Talk to locals, see for yourself and visit your considered choices several times at various times of the day and days of the week before you commit to anything and you will have far fewer long-term regrets.

Keep as much if not all of your money off-shore, and keep its value confidential. By all means invest it in a tax-free confidential haven with good growth, but don't let on as to what you have or the emotional pressure will increase for you to buy this that and the other. If you set yourself a reasonable allowance and only access that amount each month through your credit card, (and tell her when its all used up) she will probably be far more reasonable about what she asks for.

Before you sign any property deals consult a member of the Thai Law Society, before you make any investment decisions, contact an affiliate of the Offshore Financial Trade Association.

Before you do anything, watch and listen. You have two eyes, two ears, but only one mouth. There's got to be a reason for that!

:o

thanks emuu

sound advice. if i was logical about this i probably wouldn't do it but logic isn't a variable at present i have other "things" guiding me and that is where the danger is and i appreciate all the advice.

people seem to say the cost of living in pattaya is about 40-70k a month is this easy to manage on i have told the girl that i won't be able to afford to go to bars much and she is still happy to stay with me.

i think i have to try this for a year and see what happens i can alway come home. i have read that if you buy condo or deposit 3mil in thai bank it is easy to get visa to stay for a year, is this true and what is the proceedure.

thanks everyone

jay

Including rent, utilities, food, clothing, school fees, bar bills and so on - for myself, wife and seven-year-old daughter I reckon 1 million per year.

(Plus another million this year 'cos of the bloody house in Chaiyaphum!!)

But I do not cont the pennies. I earn far more, but am paying off a mortgage in UK, building up a pension fund, saving for a rainy day.

80k should give you a comfortable life per month, but won't let you fly to HK or Singapore or KL every six weeks.

Jay you sound like a smart enough guy, you got the cash in the first place and you bothered to ask the questions..

Go with what you feel, don't be jaded before you start, lots of people have been burned but that doesn't mean you will be, don't sully the experience before you have had it, you can always do that later if the need arise.

You will meet many guys here (Thailand) who will tell you what to do, take it all in then do what you were going to do anyway.

Enjoy My Friend.. you will have a great time what ever happens..

"girl says she loves me and won't go with men only dance"

Sure! You bet!!

This is a wind-up right? :D:o

Up to you my friend, but don't get the towels monogrammed quite yet, okay?

Watch out for Number One first and foremost.

~WISteve

wind up it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

I am in a fairly similar position to you. I am 39 and have I similar amount of capital to you. I came to Pattaya at the beginning of last year. A rented for about 9 months and then bought a Condo for 2.6 million baht (one bedroom 93 sq m in Jomtien).

I think 50,000 baht per month would be about the minimum a would like to live off, although less would be possible.

thanks everyone for replies

i have just come back for pub in uk only 3 weeks since i was in pattaya i hate this country the women are fat ugly and arogant. ha ha .

i can't wait to go back booked flight for january but seriously considering going before. i speak to my girl every day on phone and we email each other i hope she is genuine but like i said before i have read money number one.

it sounds to me that it is possible to live on the money i have so i am pleased.

any more information or advice will be gratefully received and faithfully applied!

jay.

My two bobs worth. Don't liquidate your assets in the uk if they are in property. too hard to buy back in if you become a bit jaded about life in LOS, and lots of people do. As others have said, rent a small house/condo in pattaya for a year and see how you like it. my mate and I rented a great 2 bed house, air con, tv etc for 10,000 baht a month while he looked around and decided whether to live there or not. he just bought a really nice, newly renovated 2 bedroom house for 1.3 million baht near carrefour. couldnt be happier. take it slowly my friend, plenty of property for sale, at good prices and plenty of nice women available as well.

yes mate i think thats good advice i have 4 houses and 2 flats here in uk going to sell half of them to release capital. it does seem best to rent for a year to find my feet. i hope it is the right thing to do because i am giving up alot here in uk and i hope this girl is worth it but if she does go wrong i suppose there are always plenty more!!

i just hope i can live well for the money i have i want a better life not to be counting every baht. the more information on that subject for you guys the better.

thanks everyone

jay.

yes mate i think thats good advice i have 4 houses and 2 flats here in uk going to sell half of them to release capital. it does seem best to rent for a year to find my feet. i hope it is the right thing to do because i am giving up alot here in uk and i hope this girl is worth it but if she does go wrong i suppose there are always plenty more!!

i just hope i can live well for the money i have i want a better life not to be counting every baht. the more information on that subject for you guys the better.

thanks everyone

jay.

If you are selling property in the UK you will have to be careful of CGT. (Capital Gains Tax) With the property you list - you would be liable.

Why not just rent it out - get a FICO number from the Inland revenue so that you have no income tax to pay - instruct your bank to pay a monthly amount to a bank in thailand (your personal account - no other drawing partner).

That way you have covered most of your options - can go back in a year or two and either liquidate part of your assets (if you plan to stay in LOS) or start on the treadmill again (if things have gone pear-shaped).

Never disclose your full assets to anyone - not just here, but anywhere. You will suddenly gain a lot of new friends who will disappear when they have got their greedy little mitts on it. (Not a criticism of TBGs or even women in general - just the human race)

thanks for that up2u

i have some property in ltd company so it will be less tax and i also let some for income which should future proof me to some extent.

i can always come back to uk but if i can live off 60k baht a month after paying for condo (rent to start then buy) should be happy. are there any good gyms in pattaya i like to train a few times a week?

jay

£250k for 6 properties? The whole thing is just too ridiculous.

What sort of man thinks it's a good idea to have a serious relationship with a girl he meets in Pattaya and refers to women in the UK as fat, ugly and arrogant?

It seems to me, the sort of man who will deserve what will almost surely come to him.

sounds like you are going to jump ever never land without much thinking. If you could aquire what you say you have now, you should be able to do much better in the next few years. You need a good cash reserve without liquadating your assets. Your still young and have

just hit some of what could be your most productive years in life and be on easy street in the near future if you do not lose track of things.

You just come back from Thailand so give it a few more months

before even thinking about making sound decisions. Stay away from Pubs back home this may help cure depression.

thanks both

but as i stated the250k is for half the properties the others will be kept as income.

some are in ltd company some are personal. i can only liquidate 250k because i want to give my wife half.

the comment about women was in jest but i think taken the wrong way and i am sorry for that.

i have had alot of good advice from this thread and i thank you all for that.

jay

The best advice I can give you is, DON'T get involved. It's mainly an illusion, that you will spend a lot of time and energy trying to maintain.

Don't invest in anything in Thailand, unless you have a circle of close friends with you. You don't, so don't.

Treat it like a holiday and be ready to move at a moment's notice.

Rent, do not buy. Keep your money outside of Thailand.

Don't give anyone the slightest idea that you have any money. They will want it.

Trust no one. That doesn't mean that there is no one you can trust, but there are a lot that you cannot trust.

Don't trust in anything that any girl whom you may meet in Pattaya tells you.

That is not to say that they won't have genuine affection for you, but there almost always is another agenda.

Whatever you think of UK girls, there are many who wouldn't rent their bodies out for a few pounds. Hardly the same can be said for the kind of girl whom YOU are likely to meet in Thailand.

I doubt if you'll listen to my advice, but at least I've told you.

The best advice I can give you is, DON'T get involved. It's mainly an illusion, that you will spend a lot of time and energy trying to maintain.

Don't invest in anything in Thailand, unless you have a circle of close friends with you. You don't, so don't.

Treat it like a holiday and be ready to move at a moment's notice.

Rent, do not buy. Keep your money outside of Thailand.

Don't give anyone the slightest idea that you have any money. They will want it.

Trust no one. That doesn't mean that there is no one you can trust, but there are a lot that you cannot trust.

Don't trust in anything that any girl whom you may meet in Pattaya tells you.

That is not to say that they won't have genuine affection for you, but there almost always is another agenda.

Whatever you think of UK girls, there are many who wouldn't rent their bodies out for a few pounds. Hardly the same can be said for the kind of girl whom YOU are likely to meet in Thailand.

I doubt if you'll listen to my advice, but at least I've told you.

wow this guys been done over obviously. :D

Jay don't listen, it's a good time to buy in Pattaya and the future for Pattaya's looking good. (for me anyway) :o