Buying A Motorbike On Your Own Name?

llothar

Hello i bought a motorbike with my name in the little green book last september without problems and only with a

triple entry tourist visa.

But now i heared from a friend that the immigration in CNX don't give you this resident confirmation (sorry don't know how they call it)

that you need. Last time i had to take the blue book (Tabien Baan) from my land lord and get this confirmation which i gave to the

motorbike shop.

Is this true? Is it just a local immigration issue or did they change this rule everywhere.

I am no expert here but:

Is this a used bike and the cycle shop signed over the bike to you?

Is this a new bike you bought?

Either way rely on the shop to keep you on track with insurance and registration etc. Go with their advice. They should have a log started and tell you what to do on what date. You should be a busy man for 4 months if it is a new bike. Not sure how long if used.

I am no expert here but:

Is this a used bike and the cycle shop signed over the bike to you?

Is this a new bike you bought?

Either way rely on the shop to keep you on track with insurance and registration etc. Go with their advice. They should have a log started and tell you what to do on what date. You should be a busy man for 4 months if it is a new bike. Not sure how long if used.

Both are new bikes. I got my without problems after 3 month (well i used it a lot in the meantime :-)

My friend had problems last month with both. First he wanted to buy a new bike from a shop and after this seemed to get complicated he tried to buy an old one. But the immigration denied to give out the paper. Well i went to the immigration in small Mae Hong Son while he lives in Chiang Mai at the moment.

But now i heared from a friend that the immigration in CNX don't give you this resident confirmation (sorry don't know how they call it)

that you need. Last time i had to take the blue book (Tabien Baan) from my land lord and get this confirmation which i gave to the

motorbike shop.

Is this true? Is it just a local immigration issue or did they change this rule everywhere.

Maybe it's a local immigration issue?

Yesterday, I went with a farang friend to get Thai drivers licenses -- we each got licences. It was his second time. He used his 30-day visa waiver stamp both years (2006 and 2007) to get the necessary address verification letter from Thai Immgrations.

He also bought two motorbikes and got the necessary address verification from Thai Immigrations using 30-day visa-waiver stamp.

In various threads here on ThaiVisa.com I've read people say you can't get an address verification letter from Thai Immigrations unless you are here on a long-term visa, and that even if you live here on a long-term visa you will be denided the address verification form if you haven't done a 90-day address report yet, etc. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of such reports, but can only add that my friend got the address verification letter two years standing now, at the Thai Immigrations office in Jomtien (Pattaya) on a 30-day visa-waiver stamp.

I have a Non-Immigrant O and am on my second one-year extension for retirement, and own my condo here. The lady at Jomtien Immigrations "wanted" to see my chanote, but all I brought with me was a TOT phone bill, and she accepted that as my "proof" of my address.

If you walk inside the Immigration office in Chiang Mai (the building on the left from the entrance), just read the sign on the counter. It says they won't issue a residency statement unless you're on a long term visa, such as a one year. Unless the sign has finally been taken down after a year.

Other provinces, different stories.