Acronyms & Ettiquette

KevinHunt

Being new to Forums, and having never sent a text message, I was wondering how I could fiind a list of commonly used Forum acronyms. I came across LOL a few months back and had somebody explain that it was 'laughs out loud' but I had never seen IMHO before, but somehow figured, eventually, that it meant In My Honest Opinion.

I then came across IMO (In My Opinion), which presumably means that an opinion is being offered, but not necessarily Honestly. Is this a code for indicating that the comment is a wind-up maybe? All very confusing.

I also noticed a poster being reprimanded recently for using ALL CAPITALS because it supposedly is considered as shouting? I thought he had just left his CAPS lock on! By the way I wasn't shouting, when I used capitals above, just highlighting!

Interesting question ... what if somebody wanted to shout out (which is rude, I know) that he was offering an honest opinion, acronymilly (nice word). My guess is IMHO . Would that be right?

Just one more question. When I set up my user name, I unintentionally left the Caps Lock on and so my family name is set up as though I was shouting (should that be in Caps?) , which could be interpreted wrongly. Can I reset my username, without caps? If so how?

Being new to Forums, and having never sent a text message, I was wondering how I could fiind a list of commonly used Forum acronyms.

Hi Kevin - there are a number of acronym dictionaries on the net - one is Acronym

IMHO can be in my humble/honest opinion depending on the context.

LOL - lot of laughs or laughs out loud

for a few more:

ROFL - rolling on floor laughing

ROFLWMCOMN - rolling on floor with milk coming out my nose

ROFLMAO - rolling on floor laughing my ar5e off

There are litterally thousands more out there and it can take time but the more common one can usually be guessed from the text of the message.

I also noticed a poster being reprimanded recently for using ALL CAPITALS because it supposedly is considered as shouting? I thought he had just left his CAPS lock on! By the way I wasn't shouting, when I used capitals above, just highlighting!

That is correct the convention is to use caps to emphasise something - pre colour/itallic/weird fonts etc and everything was done in ASCII.

Interesting question ... what if somebody wanted to shout out (which is rude, I know) that he was offering an honest opinion, acronymilly (nice word). My guess is IMHO . Would that be right?

Yes again that is correct - if your intention is to shout then the use of caps will convey that point but be aware it is the same as in a pub/bar the person who uses it occasionaly gets his point across but the person who sits in the corner doing it all the time gets ignored for just being a rude.

Just one more question. When I set up my user name, I unintentionally left the Caps Lock on and so my family name is set up as though I was shouting (should that be in Caps?) , which could be interpreted wrongly. Can I reset my username, without caps? If so how?

Easiest way is to send me a PM with exactly how you would like your ID to read and I will get it changed.

have fun

CB

btw congrats on the Liverpool win

I was wondering how I could fiind a list of commonly used Forum acronyms.

http://stason.org/TULARC/child-parent/infe...reviations.html

http://www.fun-with-words.com/acronyms.html

Personally, I dont use those abbrev. terms often.

Can I reset my username, without caps? If so how?

PM to Mod or Admin then

/edit added more links

http://www.environmental-studies.de/SIM-Ca...s-glossary.html

http://gleez.com/articles/sms/sms-abbreviations

Edited by BambinA

Easiest way is to send me a PM with exactly how you would like your ID to read and I will get it changed.

have fun

CB

btw congrats on the Liverpool win

Having thought about it, I decided to leave my username as it is. I reckon that most users on this forum are probably getting on a bit, and so they are more likely to be a bit deaf, in which case shouting out my second name may help them avoid the embarrassment of mishearing it. I was thinking of Bigmac, for example.

As regards to the reds victory - well deserved I thought, and they vindicated my decision to stay up a little bit late .The freezing weather conditions locally almost made it feel like I was back at home on the terraces of Anfield!! All it needed was a soggy pork pie and somebody peeing on the back of my trousers to complete the atmosphere