Please Don't Refer To A Time Of Year By Your North American Season

Doza

Did you know some countries don't have an autumn, and some people live in parts of the world where 'spring' is at a different time of year?

I've had people asking me am I going home for summer break (mid this year)! They know I come from Australia. <deleted>?

Did you know some countries don't have an autumn, and some people live in parts of the world where 'spring' is at a different time of year?

I've had people asking me am I going home for summer break (mid this year)! They know I come from Australia. <deleted>?

yep makes you think dosnt it!!!!!!!!

i know this is gonna sound silly, but do you wear a cowboy hat? :o

But isn't it the summer break in Thailand? You are in Thailand aren't you? Would you want them to call it the winter break, even though it is the summer break in thailand, just because you are from Australia? Seems like that would be confusing. What if they were talking to me from the US and you, what would they call it? Summer/Winter break?

Four seasons are set by the calendar. Some countries because of there location in relation to the equator do not expierience the four seasons. They may have the same weather for all the seasons.

But isn't it the summer break in Thailand? You are in Thailand aren't you? Would you want them to call it the winter break, even though it is the summer break in thailand, just because you are from Australia? Seems like that would be confusing. What if they were talking to me from the US and you, what would they call it? Summer/Winter break?

Four seasons are set by the calendar. Some countries because of there location in relation to the equator do not expierience the four seasons. They may have the same weather for all the seasons.

Summer break is an American thing and is not found in Thailand.

Summer break is skint!!! :o

This entire thread is an affront to the princess who often starred on the Howdy Doody Show, that lovely lady of indigenous royalty, Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring. Cowabunga, Buffalo Bob! You kiddies up in the Peanut Gallery, what time is it? It's not summer, you American buffalos, it's winter in Thailand, where the temperature hits an incredibly frigid 11 on the Silly-Us scale, not on the Farkin-Hot scale!

Central America (which is really just the southernmost Northern Hemisphere; surely 7 tiny countries don't comprise a continent) has two seasons: muddy, and dusty.

Summer vacation in Thailand is mid March to mid April.

"fall" is not even proper English.

Yes it is. The English used it before they even colonised Virginia, the folks that went over on the "Mayflower" (The ones in the funny big hats) took it with them.

(P.S. I'm not American, by the way, but someone loosely studying the English language for 60 years. Still hoping to learn some more, but the "plurry" thing keeps changing........ :o )

Not during the same time since US summer is the rainy season in Thailand - but like PB pointed out above, Thai schools have their own พักร้อน phák ráwn in March-April, which is indeed a 'summer break' or hot season break.

Gregorian calendar 2007

MMVIII

Ab urbe condita 2760

Armenian calendar 1456

ԹՎ ՌՆԾԷ

Bahá'í calendar 163 – 164

Buddhist calendar 2550

Coptic calendar 1723 – 1724

Ethiopian calendar 1999 – 2000

Hebrew calendar 5767 – 5768

Hindu calendars

- Vikram Samvat 2062 – 2063

- Shaka Samvat 1929 – 1930

- Kali Yuga 5108 – 5109

Holocene calendar 12007

Iranian calendar 1385 – 1386

Islamic calendar 1427 – 1429

Japanese calendar Heisei 19

(平成20年)

- Imperial Year Kōki 2667

(皇紀2668年)

Julian calendar 2052

Korean calendar 4340

Thai solar calendar 2550

What would you call a break from school that happens in the summer in Thailand then? I don't even know that they have them, I just assumed since the OP was saying that people were asking what he was going to do for summer break.

Perhaps safest to say "the long holiday" (or vaykaaayshun :o ). In Oz it's often called the end-of-year holiday, because it is. Mostly applies to schools, I'd guess.

Just be glad he didn't think you'd be hopping over to Vienna. Or did he ?

Edited by sylviex

As dog412's post #12 points out, the astronomical calendar says that in the northern hemisphere, fall doesn't begin until the autumnal equinox, around September 23, and fall/autumn doesn't end until Dec. 23. But that same Oxford dictionary says fall is Sept.-November in the northern hemisphere. Yes, it may be so in Oxford, England, but I lived 14 degrees north of the Equator in North America, where it never was autumn, and I got a sunburn swimming in warm Pacific water on January 1.

The four seasons are an invention of medieval or ancient northwestern Europe, I suspect.

Not during the same time since US summer is the rainy season in Thailand - but like PB pointed out above, Thai schools have their own พักร้อน phák ráwn in March-April, which is indeed a 'summer break' or hot season break.

Yes, if taken literally Thailand does have what could be termed a summer break. I should have written: "Summer Break" is an American thing and is not found in Thailand.

I believe the OP refers to use of the term rather than the literal meaning.

Maybe they didn't expect anyone would live south of the equator? :o

Your wrong as it isnt summer break in Thailand!!!!! Unless, if your talking March to May, ie the break for most Thai schools and Universities, this is Thailands summer break as it's hot and dry. But if at Intermational School in Thailand, the break are infact June to August which coincide with Northern Hemisphere summers. So is this Summer Break or infact Wet Break or Rainy Break ........ as this falls wam spanking in the middle of the rainy season.