Riverside Condominium

Nuff Said

I am considering a move to Chiang Mai involving possibly purchasing a studio condo in Riverside Condominium for my full time residence.

I have viewed furnihsed and empty rooms for sale very recently and spoken to both the manager and one of the reception staff.

If any members who either live there or have previously done so would care to air their opinions on the place, how well it's run etc, then I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

I am considering a move to Chiang Mai involving possibly purchasing a studio condo in Riverside Condominium for my full time residence.

I have viewed furnihsed and empty rooms for sale very recently and spoken to both the manager and one of the reception staff.

If any members who either live there or have previously done so would care to air their opinions on the place, how well it's run etc, then I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

The manager there apparently has quite a reputation selling apartments in the building, I was told of titles even ending up in her name after transfer, and certainly apartments at a premium price. There seems to be a mad perception out there that buying property from Thai condo managers is cheaper or safe? They either get paid a commission or jack up the price. If a tuk tuk took you there then the price just went up again. Do your due diligence, plus check the interesting prices some of the renovating mob are charging if going down that route. Again re Riverside, there has beem an ongoing war there between the manager and residents. Pay attention to the cost of internet (share ratio) and electricity from the friendly management as well.

Thank you.

The manager there apparently has quite a reputation selling apartments in the building, I was told of titles even ending up in her name after transfer, and certainly apartments at a premium price. There seems to be a mad perception out there that buying property from Thai condo managers is cheaper or safe? They either get paid a commission or jack up the price. If a tuk tuk took you there then the price just went up again. Do your due diligence, plus check the interesting prices some of the renovating mob are charging if going down that route. Again re Riverside, there has beem an ongoing war there between the manager and residents. Pay attention to the cost of internet (share ratio) and electricity from the friendly management as well.

Thanks for your constructive reply. I've sent a more detailed response by private message.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve lived in the Riverside Condo on two occasions during the last six years. Both times I had to leave through circumstance and not choice. I had an L-shaped studio on the corner of building facing the swimming pool and looking down-stream on the Ping river (the Sofitel Hotel was directly across the river). The room and balcony were sunny and sometimes hot in the day time but terrific for sunsets over the mountain. The location of the unit was such that the balcony was not overlooked by any other room. Being somewhat of an anorak – I also enjoyed watching the aircraft on finals (without the noise) at the airport beyond Tesco Lotus.

WETV Cable is available at the Condo for 350B per month.

The car parking spaces were plentiful, although if I had to leave my car, for a few weeks unattended, in a space close to the building – I had to use a shovel to remove the pigeon crap. The pigeons also create a problem on the balconies of unattended units and many balconies had a fine net cover installed. Trolleys are available just outside of reception, which were useful for shopping and luggage.

The staff at reception were so-so but the maintenance guys were great and quick to answer any calls for assistance. Security was good, with card entry and the door person often went out of their way to assist me, laden with shopping, through the door and into the lifts. The Condo and the staff turn it on and are very participative during the many festivals and at Christmas and New Year – the decos go up and it looks very jolly..

The main swimming pool is oval shaped and one level but there is a smaller pool for children.

There is a westerner on the Condo committee and his email is posted if you require any assistance or wish you to make any view known to the management..

As I was last leaving one of the residents was setting up an internet café on the ground floor with food and beverage available. Also on the ground floor is a reasonable laundry.

Within the immediate area are both a Tesco Lotus Express and a 7-11. Also probably the best Roti stand in Chiang Mai. There is also a small market which comes alive during the evening with fast Thai food vendors and small restaurants. In the event that you do not have your own transport – both tuk-tuks and songteows are available 24 hours a day as the Holiday Inn is next door.

I admit that I am a fan and as mentioned had to leave through circumstance not choice.

Thanks for taking the trouble to air your comments. Much appreciated. I have also sent you a PM.

I have now more or less decided to buy in Riverside when I have sold my condo in Jomtien. From what I can gather there are only three condo buildings in Chiang Mai which seem to appeal in significant numbers to foreigners and this is one of them.