Affirmation Of Marriage

rubberneck

hello people this is my first time using this forum so please bare with me if i'm doing somthing wrong or i ask a question thats been answered a trillion times in the forum already but i'm too dozy to find. i want to marry my thai girlfriend. i understand that i need to sign an affidavid making an affirmation of freedom to marry in the in front of a british consulate at the embassy in bangkok. my question is this: doe's this affirmation of freedom to marry have to be drawn up and sworn over by a solicitor in the u.k or can i just write one myself and sign it with a consulate as a witness. any advice on this would be very gratfully received, thanking you in advance

Save your money and don't go to a brief. Click here for a do-it-yourself job. Take the completed form to the British embassy, hand over 2400 baht with your passport and go back and collect it the next day. You then have the affirmation translated in to Thai and go to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Chaeng Wattana for them to stamp the translation. You can then marry at any district office (amphur).

Scouse.

Scoucer is correct, but to simplify matters more once you receive your affirmation fro the embassy you can take it to one of the translation places on the other side of the road at Chit Lom station and for about 800 baht they will not only translate it but take it to be stamped and authorised, will take 2 days, then its down to the Amphur Office (The one in Patpong is supposed to be lucky-as is a friday-apparantly) You need two of your Wife to be's freinds as witnesses and Bob's your Uncle-welcome to the club.

PS If you have been married before you will need a copy of your Decree Absolute to show the embassy

Good Luck

Scoucer is correct, but to simplify matters more once you receive your affirmation fro the embassy you can take it to one of the translation places on the other side of the road at Chit Lom station and for about 800 baht they will not only translate it but take it to be stamped and authorised, will take 2 days, then its down to the Amphur Office (The one in Patpong is supposed to be lucky-as is a friday-apparantly) You need two of your Wife to be's freinds as witnesses and Bob's your Uncle-welcome to the club.

PS If you have been married before you will need a copy of your Decree Absolute to show the embassy

Good Luck

Normally folks in the office act as witness but some offices will ask that you bring a translator so that you understand what you are signing.

The District Office of Pat Pong happens to be "love district" in Thai so that is why it is popular for marriage - both for Thai and foreigners.

Also, these officers can attend an outside wedding party and present the paperwork there for a small fee for those having a celebration.

Hi Rubberneck and welcome,

I did it 2 weeks ago so here's the go:

1. If you were married before get hold of your marriage cert and your divorce cert.

2. At the Bri Emb (poss online also) you can obtain a copy of an "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry". Re-type this filling in the blanks with your own details. Make sure it's 100% the same and check the spelling etc.

3. Go to the British Embassy to the 1st floor with the following:

a) Passport

:o 2400Bt (I think)

c) Re-typed Affirmation......

d) Marriage & Divorce cert if applicable.

4. Return 24hr later and collect all the docs and passport.

5. Walk back down Wireless Rd in The direction of Sukhumvit Rd. Cross the bridge and you will see several translation shops on the corner (I used Interlanguage Translation Centre and they were great). Shop around if you can be bothered but I couldn't be. You will need to have the affirmation translated to Thai. They can provide the rest of the service which includes sending a courier to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to do more paperwork. they then bring it back and can post everything back to you by EMS - Recorded delivery to me and you. The full payment to the translation office was around 1500bt - 2000bt. I've forgotten to be honest but the whole thing is so simple because the translation guys do it every day. I hate sitting in cabs in BKK and waiting around.

For the actual marriage Just ask your GF where her local ampour (town hall) office is. Walk in, sign some docs and I think I paid 50 Baht. Within 15 min you'll walk out with a copy of the marriage cert each and hopefully a big grin too. It's all very low key so make sure you have some coldies in the fridge for when you get home.

BTW I didn't need any witnesses but I dont know if thats the case in every province.

Good luck Matey.

If I've missed anything here I'll be happy for someone to correct me.