Speaking Of Trails Up To Doi Suthep

rrose070

Sure. It's a pretty tough trail though I think.

But to find it, got o the end of Suthep road and turn right towards the back entrance of the zoo just before the road goes up to the Galare restaurant area. Then look for the sign / trail start on the left.

• 3 weeks later...
And let us know how you find it.. It's been a long time since I was last there.

Went up there yesteday and the trail was fine took us about 2hrs.

Do you know any other good walking trails?

did you see any cyclists on the trail? going up or down? others have posted that it would not be suitable for cycling but good to have another opinion.

did you see any cyclists on the trail? going up or down? others have posted that it would not be suitable for cycling but good to have another opinion.

No cyclists, a lot of steps in certain sections, I'd say not suitable for cycling, only saw two other people walking it.

Yup can confirm that this trail is only suitable for walking. It is a lot shorter than the road route and is the way pilgrims used to travel to Doi Suthep. There are in fact 5 temples along the way with DS being the last. One tricky bit if you try it is where you meet and cross the road. You meet it around half way, there are no signs, just turn left up the road for a 100m or more and look for an obvious path leading steeply up hill on the other side of the road. After that plain sailing - the path emerges just a few 100m short of DS and you take the road. If you still have the energy the naga steps await!

Happy travels.

• 2 weeks later...

We've walked it twice now - to my agony and hopefully come next Sunday (weigh-in) my joy...Frankly, it's 50% hideous bitch and 50 % OK. It's TOUGH, even though we've been walking the whole 14K by road for 2 months now. But just enough is flat to allow you to catch your breath, and it is a huge time-saver over the road. About 4 parts are "don't look up, you'll get totally discouraged" and in about the same number of places, you'll need a mandatory rest to reassure yourself that you aren't going to die today. But there's no traffic, and it is a nice change. You couldn't do it in flips, and I require a dousing of bug spray before hand, although the OFT-INFURIATING hus seems impervious to mosquitoes. It's a good alternate route, but not for the casual hiker; rather, for those like me who have a specific fitness goal in mind. I WANT to say: ENJOY!! But what I can honestly say is: TRY to enjoy. Oh and it's called "Phalaad Nature Trail" at the head.

I did it half way with my son last week, but after the temple when you have to cross the road, I couldn't find the way to go on. I thought it's near a little waterfall about 100m up the road but that was a dead end. Now Doi Suthep is too crowded to have fun up there, but I will try to do the second half after the thai holiday is over.

Here are some pictures:

http://mario.jinjok.com/2007/12/26/

Marco.

The waterfall is just a teensy bit too far...we tramped all around it the first time. The trailhead is just like 20 paces before the waterfall; you can't see it, though, (or, we couldn't) until you've gone to the waterfall, given up and begun to head back to where you came out before. Then it opens itself up to you from that angle. Good luck!

I've just made my third trip up and knocked the time down to 1 1/2 hrs from the bottom to the top of the steps at Wat Doi Suthep, as a fortysomething man of average fitness I don't find it that difficult. I'm doing it mainly for fitness reasons there's not an awful lot to see for most of the walk, the first section near the temple and the waterfall are nice.

Not sure what it will be like when the hot season starts and I think you'd be risking a broken ankle in the rainy season but at the moment it's a nice way to sweat out a hangover on a Sunday morning.

Must admit I haven't been bothered by any insects like Rose, not a single bite and I don't wear any anti-mossie spray.

I did it half way with my son last week, but after the temple when you have to cross the road, I couldn't find the way to go on. I thought it's near a little waterfall about 100m up the road but that was a dead end. Now Doi Suthep is too crowded to have fun up there, but I will try to do the second half after the thai holiday is over.

Here are some pictures:

http://mario.jinjok.com/2007/12/26/

Marco.

How old is your son? My boy has been pestering for me to take him up at sometime.

I suggest you take your mountain bikes to 700 Year Stadium (Sea Games Stadium). Behind the stadium is a reservoir and numerous trails branch out into the foothills that will give you a real enjoyable ride. You can also pick up these trails if you ride out to Huay Tong Tao. About half a kilometer before the entrance is a dirt road heading toward the mountains. Follow that road around and South and you will see many trails going off to the West.

I just finished the second half of the way with my son. It's a bit more difficult than the first half, but it wasn't a big problem. Since my son just turned 4 he doesn't walk really fast and it takes between 1h-1h30 for one half of the way, but he can walk and climb 99% alone.

Pictures of the second half will follow soon and I plan to do all the way alone again in the next days to determine how long it will take for an adult.

Marco.

We have a club walk most Sundays on Doi Suthep/Doi Pui. Usually 8-10 of us go, leaving around 8.15am.

Also we have been GPS'ing the walks and I've been putting them on the standard Thai map. I tried to upload it to Thai Visa previously with no success - it's 3MB, which should be OK. In any case, you can download it from:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/3c7cf41d-c357-41...ar06-for-upload

Above the thumbnail of the map you'll see "Original Size" - click on that for the actual download.

If you're interested in walking with us, please email me at [Your e-mail address has to be removed as per forum rules, to prevent you being completely drowned in spam (there are automatic programs harvesting websites for e-mail addresses and using or selling them to spammers). Posters who are interested in contacting you can use the Private Message system. Cheers /Meadish]. I will pass on your details as I'm on holiday in Australia at present.

There is a walk this Sunday from but only from the 700 year stadium around Huey Tung Tao lake and back.

I just finished the second half of the way with my son. It's a bit more difficult than the first half, but it wasn't a big problem. Since my son just turned 4 he doesn't walk really fast and it takes between 1h-1h30 for one half of the way, but he can walk and climb 99% alone.

Pictures of the second half will follow soon and I plan to do all the way alone again in the next days to determine how long it will take for an adult.

Marco.

My son is just 4 as well. I'll try bringing him along one week.

We have a club walk most Sundays on Doi Suthep/Doi Pui. Usually 8-10 of us go, leaving around 8.15am.

Also we have been GSP'ing the walks and I've been putting them on the standard Thai map. I tried to upload it to Thai Visa previously with no success - it's 3MB, which should be OK. In any case, you can download it from:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/3c7cf41d-c357-41...ar06-for-upload

Above the thumbnail of the map you'll see "Original Size" - click on that for the actual download.

If you're interested in walking with us, please email me at [email protected]. I will pass on your details as I'm on holiday in Australia at present.

There is a walk this Sunday from but only from the 700 year stadium around Huey Tung Tao lake and back.

That's what I was looking for Paul, thanks. I might join your club walk one Sunday, I'll email you at some point.

I have to tell you that I'm EXCEPTIONALLY attractive to bugs of all sort. They come from great distances to bite me; word goes out as soon as I leave my front door! I only took 1 photo; I just watch my hubby's feet most of the way.