Thai Customs & Vitamins

mikemellow

I once was stopped in Chiang Mai. My bags were searched. Customs looked at a baggie of vitamins from my carry-on I had for taking on the flight. They also saw large bottles of vitamins in my suitcase purchased from COSTCO (USA). They asked me what they were and I said vitamins - no problem.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I bring them every trip.

You should not have a problem but there are no guarantees about anything. It is possible to run into someone who will trouble you more than you expected. I would not bother to point out that I am bringing vitamins in unless you have more than a few months supply. I doubt if much thought has been given to vitamins since in Chiang Mai, for example, the vitamins are not the best sellers anyway. Moreover, there is not much demand even in pharmacies for selling such a product. It is true however, that vitamins are over priced in Thailand so there is a potential for making a profit. Why don't you order your vitamins off of internet? That is another possibility for you. Good luck!

Once before I had vitamins shipped to me by my family, but they were a little silly and left the receipts, outer packaging, etc. inside so the customs had no hesitation to charge me a tax.

When included with other random things and no obvious extra packaging, I've had no problem- nor with bringing them in by airplane. I suppose technically they're dutiable.

"S"

Name brand western vitamins are very expensive in Thailand (about double usual stateside costs). I usually buy a couple bottles and bring them in with me. Never any problem but have never been searched either. Wouldn't think they have to be declared as they are over the counter "medications." As long as quantities were personal.

Hi,

Just for your info. Buying a branded (imported) Multi Vits in Thailand is very expensive.

However, buying a Centrium (Wyeth) Multi Vits in Malaysia is much cheaper.

I have bought a Centrium Multi Vits in Thailand (manufactured in Thailand under Licience)

and the price is comparable with the Malaysian one which is imported from Canada.

Any branded product which is manufactured in Thailand under Licience is much cheaper.

Hi,

Just for your info. Buying a branded (imported) Multi Vits in Thailand is very expensive.

However, buying a Centrium (Wyeth) Multi Vits in Malaysia is much cheaper.

I have bought a Centrium Multi Vits in Thailand (manufactured in Thailand under Licience)

and the price is comparable with the Malaysian one which is imported from Canada.

Any branded product which is manufactured in Thailand under Licience is much cheaper.

also about Stateside prices in Singapore.

Vitamins are ok. Most vitamins are available over here with a few exceptions. If you are not sure or want to play safe, get a letter from your doctor so you can show if needed

I certainly would not say that it is easy to find most vitamins in Phuket. I cannot find many of the vitamins and amino acids that I want. Yes, I can find basic multivitanims, C, D, E, etc, but none of the special vitamins I need for a particular disease I am fighting.

Doctors generally know squat about vitamins. That is not something that medical schools tend to teach a lot of. They are into pills of another sort...

I bought many bottles of vitamins with me when I arrived in Thailand. No problems with customs. Last month I had a large box full of vitamins sent to me. They spent 10 days in Bangkok and 9 days in Udon before they let me know to come to the post office and pick up my box, and to bring along 500bt for tax.

• 1 year later...
I bought many bottles of vitamins with me when I arrived in Thailand. No problems with customs. Last month I had a large box full of vitamins sent to me. They spent 10 days in Bangkok and 9 days in Udon before they let me know to come to the post office and pick up my box, and to bring along 500bt for tax.

What shipping service did you use to send the vitamins? Regular post or a courier such as FedEx DHL etc.?

I have seen GNC in Bangkok so they should be available, but didn't see the prices.

I've never been searched, but they once did a token x-ray on arrival and they didn't notice the things I had that they might have been interested in had they given a stuff.

Vitamins are ok. Most vitamins are available over here with a few exceptions. If you are not sure or want to play safe, get a letter from your doctor so you can show if needed

I certainly would not say that it is easy to find most vitamins in Phuket. I cannot find many of the vitamins and amino acids that I want. Yes, I can find basic multivitanims, C, D, E, etc, but none of the special vitamins I need for a particular disease I am fighting.

Doctors generally know squat about vitamins. That is not something that medical schools tend to teach a lot of. They are into pills of another sort...

What particular vitamins do you need for your disease? I live in Phuket and have friends in the industry so may be able to help you. Let me know