My Pattaya Dog Has Ticks... What Product Do I Buy?

Weho

I guess it's TICK season in Pattaya... is it seasonal?? Anyway, I've got the dog on that FRONTLINE treatment from the Vet, but is there some kind of chemical spray that I can use inside the house? Where do those bloodsuckers hide? Where should I spray?

Since the product probably doesn't have an English/farang name, can you describe the bottle you recommend, in detail?

No comedians, please.

Also, I've noticed that this season, if it is seasonal, there are TONS MORE TICKS than ever before... is this a consequence of global warming, or what else may be the reason for the clear increase in the amount of bloodsuckers in Pattaya?

I observed some of them climbing the walls, I guess in search of blood... and when they don't find any, they eventually stop in their tracks, and just drop dead. Scary stuff.

I guess it's TICK season in Pattaya... is it seasonal?? Anyway, I've got the dog on that FRONTLINE treatment from the Vet, but is there some kind of chemical spray that I can use inside the house? Where do those bloodsuckers hide? Where should I spray?

Since the product probably doesn't have an English/farang name, can you describe the bottle you recommend, in detail?

No comedians, please.

Also, I've noticed that this season, if it is seasonal, there are TONS MORE TICKS than ever before... is this a consequence of global warming, or what else may be the reason for the clear increase in the amount of bloodsuckers in Pattaya?

I observed some of them climbing the walls, I guess in search of blood... and when they don't find any, they eventually stop in their tracks, and just drop dead. Scary stuff.

The best is called "Frountline" it's a chemical that is applied on the dogs' neck just above the shoulder level. Just Google "Frountline" it's available here from decent veterinary clinics. It really works well.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned FRONTLINE in my original post, but thanks for the confirmation... I'm looking for some kind of spray for INSIDE, or for the PET'S bedding area...

Edited by Weho

my staff inject my dogs every 3 months,after 2 njections lasts a further 3 months, I can find and post the name if you want, foodland sell collars for all bleeds of dog, spelling intentional as on the label. Baygon and Chainrite make insecticides supposed to keep all creepy crawlies on for several months

thanks for those links... i wouldn't really say i have an infestation, i've seen a few of them, and looked all over... but that was enough to scare the bejesus out of me... i couldn't figure out where they were coming from... i figured they came in through the walls, like through electrical/phone plugs, but i guess the dogs bring them in.

A few weeks ago, i put this fertilizer stuff on the grass (see my thread in the farming or gardening section), called 16-16-16, and it did great on the lawn... i'm just wondering if i also gave the ticks a great new habitat to multiply in... cause 2 weeks after the lawn was revitalized, is when i saw those ticks.

I had this problem not so long ago, my poor dog was covered in ticks.

I used something in a small bottle which I mixed in water (this turned the water white and smelled a little) and threw around the garden, this did the trick for outside, I was told it was safe to bath the dog in the water as well. a spray for inside I have not seen. wouldnt bug spray work? how about calling rento kill, they must have a service for this.

If you find something though, please let me know what it is.

cheers

Onnut

Hi Weho,

I have a contract with a guy who used to work for Rentokil but now runs his own little enterprise.

He comes once a month to spray the garden, and lo and behold ever since I use this service, the number of ticks declined rapidly and now I'm happy to say no more ticks on my 2 Golden Retrievers, nor in the house.

The house however needed a separate cleaning (once).

Hope to have helped. BTW this guy operates only in east-Pattaya and I don't know where your house is.

If you need his telephone number p.m. me, he speaks only Thai though.

cheers

onzestan

Weho, Go buy a bottle of Thai red wine,

Pour some on the infected areas of your dog and on your walls

as well, this will get rid of nasty ticks

But take great care that the dog does not drink any !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Edited by plasticpig

Weho, ignore the dog haters :o

One way to get rid of ticks in your house is to clean under and behind all your furniture. You'll see the nasty little critters scurrying out from their hiding places that way. Also, when you see a tick be sure to kill it--I have a small cup of bleach that is used for ticks. Believe it or not, painting the walls will also get rid of them--so if you need to repaint the interior of your house, now's the time. :D

One way to get rid of ticks in your house is to clean under and behind all your furniture. You'll see the nasty little critters scurrying out from their hiding places that way. Also, when you see a tick be sure to kill it--I have a small cup of bleach that is used for ticks. Believe it or not, painting the walls will also get rid of them--so if you need to repaint the interior of your house, now's the time. :D

Why would painting make a difference? Do they not like new paint? My walls are white, which makes them easy to spot as they climb around, so i'm hesitant to change to a color where they could hide better. I manage to get about ten of them a day, but i figure there surely must be more.

Why would painting make a difference? Do they not like new paint? My walls are white, which makes them easy to spot as they climb around, so i'm hesitant to change to a color where they could hide better. I manage to get about ten of them a day, but i figure there surely must be more.

I don't know Weho, I just know that when I paint my walls the ticks disappear for at least a month. That would give you the chance to de-tick your house. They live in and lay their eggs in the little cracks and crevices in the wall. You could always paint it white again :D

Definatley don't let them bite you. Lymes desease is one nasty they carry. A promising UK athlete had her career thwarted by a tick bite. If bitten look for a rash spreading out from the bite point. A bit like a ripple on a pond. I've never seen any on our cats, but the dogs get them year round. I dust the dogs as regular as possible, weekly usually. If I find any I feed the pests to our fish.

Lyme disease doesn't occur in Thailand (yet).

Nienke

While Lyme may be unheard of occuring in Thailand, EHRLICHIOSIS does occur.

Our first male dogo contracted it years ago, and never fully recovered. Although it was diagnosed and treated, it was too late as he developed other problems (auto-immune disease) resulting from ehrlichiosis. :o

• 7 months later...
Hi Weho,

I have a contract with a guy who used to work for Rentokil but now runs his own little enterprise.

He comes once a month to spray the garden, and lo and behold ever since I use this service, the number of ticks declined rapidly and now I'm happy to say no more ticks on my 2 Golden Retrievers, nor in the house.

The house however needed a separate cleaning (once).

Hope to have helped. BTW this guy operates only in east-Pattaya and I don't know where your house is.

If you need his telephone number p.m. me, he speaks only Thai though.

cheers

onzestan

would appreciate his contact details to***email removed***. Thanks

Weho, Go buy a bottle of Thai red wine,

Pour some on the infected areas of your dog and on your walls

as well, this will get rid of nasty ticks

But take great care that the dog does not drink any !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

There is one in every crowd.

Years ago I used a rentokill service to spray inside and outside my house once a month for ticks, fleas and other bugs and creepy crawlies. They became too expensive however and I stopped. Since then I still have the same number of cats and dog and hardly see a tick or flea. Dog gets Thai Frontline (DeTick) treatment once a month; cats are constantly cleaning themselves. Occasionally I spray with Baygon (the old fashioned liquid in a hand pump variety not the aerosole kind) around the edge of the garden but I keep the dog and cats inside for a day and night when I do that as it is poisoness.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure I mentioned FRONTLINE in my original post, but thanks for the confirmation... I'm looking for some kind of spray for INSIDE, or for the PET'S bedding area...

Frontline is also available as a spray to do just that. Cheers :o

• 1 year later...
Frontline also comes in a spray.

We use both the drops and spray (on their bedding, etc) and it is the only product that I find that works.

i realize this thread is old, but might anyone here tell me where i can find Frontline in a spray? my dog has been slightly lethargic and has had strange bouts with loss of appetite. sure enough, wife and i gave the poor girl a bath and discovered she's got the ticks :)

pulled off a total of 8 ticks (yes, with tweezers) and she'll start Frontline tomorrow. poor girl. we just moved from one house to another, both have had pest control but i'm thinking the ticks might have originated from a rug that came with the new house.