Is A Visa Needed For Lao?

I will travel to Lao this weekend for a Visa Run, Do I need to get a visa before, or can I get one when I reach the border??? Moreover what is the fee??, I have been told there is no charge for entry into LAO.

If you could email with information I would be really greatful.

[email protected]

Chris, per your request, I sent an email, it bounced.  The bounce message and my email are below.  FYI, I've deleted my email address.  Guess Hotmail UK doesn't like Yanks, 1812 and all that!

Mac

Mail Delivery Subsystem <[email protected]> to me

show details 6:17 pm (3 minutes ago)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 12): 550 SC-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery information and support

----- Original message -----

Received: by 10.114.13.1 with SMTP id 1mr3490445wam.1196680675971;

Mon, 03 Dec 2007 03:17:55 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 10.115.22.9 with HTTP; Mon, 3 Dec 2007 03:17:55 -0800 (PST)

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:17:55 +0700

To: [email protected]

Subject: Visa for Laos

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_Part_9197_2280.1196680675966"

------=_Part_9197_2280.1196680675966

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Content-Disposition: inline

Chris

If you've not already seen the answer on ThaiVisa.com

, you do need a visa, BUT you can get the

Visa On Arrival at the Lao side of the bridge at Nong Khai or at Wattay

Airport in Vientiane.

Might be $35-$37 dollars, or pay in baht at a crappy exchange rate.

----- Message truncated -----

If you apply for Lao Visa after exiting Thailand and crossing the Frienship Bridge MAKE SURE you have a photo avialable for the Lao Visa application. Also, there is a Lao Consulate in Khon Kaen which will do the visa in about 20 minutes for 1600 Baht. Sometimes there are long lines at the Lao Friendship Bridge visa station.

There are even countries that can enter Lao visa free, therefore it would have been better if you included your nationality into your post. To give you an indication:

Most Western European countries pay USD 35, Yanks also pay USD35, Canadians pay 42 USD, Russians go in for free.

Just get one on arrival, no need to apply beforehand, the only border crossing where visa on arrival is not available is at the border crossing between Laos and Cambodia.

Edited by sjaak327

Oh yes, Russians DO get in for free. The fees that you are linking, are the fees that one pays when applying at the emabassy, we are talking about visa on arrival, two different things. As you might notice, according to your link, Thai citizens, and people from Singapore for instance, also pay, but of course they are all visa free as ASEAN citizens. Japanese citizens also go in visa free, the same applies to Vietnamese citizens. They might have to pay a on arrival fee of 15.000 baht, which at some borders even have to be paid by Lao citizens. But they will only receive a leave to remain stamp, no visa is actually stamped into their passports, as they don't need one.

Look Here