French Man Arrested For Smuggling A Half Kilo Of Cocaine

sriracha john

I wouldn't have thought there is a 'Mr Big' behind this. it wouldn't take long to sell 450 gram of Coke individually.

What does a gram of it cost in Samui?

Maybe a month or two and the guy would have had enough funds for a long vacation in S.E. Asia.

Cue the jokes...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S amui police don't just stop you at the airport and a rrest you. why let him get to the islands before taking him into custody?? No good reason other than not having the info in advance. and no bangkok air stewardess is going to notice if you don't eat your meal on an hour long flight. seriously. dude could have walked out of BKK airport with no suitcases and took a train or bus down south and no one would have heard about this.

I wouldn't have thought there is a 'Mr Big' behind this. it wouldn't take long to sell 450 gram of Coke individually.

What does a gram of it cost in Samui?

Maybe a month or two and the guy would have had enough funds for a long vacation in S.E. Asia.

Cue the jokes...

A total "Freelancer" as it were going around punting the gear where he was not known (thats an assumption on my part)?

Maybe -I must admit to knowing about as much about the drug scene on Samui as I do about nuclear physics.

I do remember my first time on Samui though when magic mushroom omelettes were sold right on Chaweng main road at a cafe but it was a lot of backpackers then and not too many higher end tourists

Samui police don't just stop you at the airport and arrest you. why let him get to the islands before taking him into custody?? No good reason other than not having the info in advance. and no bangkok air stewardess is going to notice if you don't eat your meal on an hour long flight. seriously. dude could have walked out of BKK airport with no suitcases and took a train or bus down south and no one would have heard about this.

They might have had a tip when he was at BKK, but wanted to see where he was headed, and busted him TO early, or found out it was a Big Wig in Samui, and that way could collect from Big Wig, as well! NOW these as all the rest are JUST assumptions, so who cares anyways! Hope the real story will be out soon, since there are a lot of mules that get by the customs and Police, else there wouldn't be a drug scene on Samui! That's what I HAVE heard. ALL SECOND hand here NO FACTS! :o

Samui police don't just stop you at the airport and arrest you. why let him get to the islands before taking him into custody?? No good reason other than not having the info in advance. and no bangkok air stewardess is going to notice if you don't eat your meal on an hour long flight. seriously. dude could have walked out of BKK airport with no suitcases and took a train or bus down south and no one would have heard about this.

They might have had a tip when he was at BKK, but wanted to see where he was headed, and busted him TO early, or found out it was a Big Wig in Samui, and that way could collect from Big Wig, as well! NOW these as all the rest are JUST assumptions, so who cares anyways! Hope the real story will be out soon, since there are a lot of mules that get by the customs and Police, else there wouldn't be a drug scene on Samui! That's what I HAVE heard. ALL SECOND hand here NO FACTS! :D

well the jail in samui is far better than bkk ,so lucky him :o

It's too obvious that coke was meant for end users in Samui. Who would otherwise bother to come here with such a load in their stomach? That is a fairly heavy load for a small place like this so my guess is that who was waiting the load here is currently taking laxative to cope with the matter that what ever villa this person is living in is going to be in auction sooner than later... I bet this guy is selling his ass off before its taken for free in Bangkok Hilton. ANYONE! Feeling the heat??

Thais arrest French man suspected of smuggling in nearly half a kilo (1 pound) of cocaine

BANGKOK, Thailand - Police on a popular south Thailand resort island said Monday they have arrested a French man who allegedly smuggled in 454 grams (1 pound) of cocaine from South America.

Acting on a tip, immigration police at the airport on the island of Samui searched Alain Bellaiche, 40, after he arrived Sunday on a flight from Bangkok, and determined that he was carrying the drug in 65 small packets that he had swallowed in an attempt to avoid detection, said Police Capt. Narongpol Pilmolsiri.

Narongpol said the suspect told police he had swallowed the drug while in Sao Paulo, Brazil, before flying from there to Bangkok and taking a connecting flight to Samui, which is in the Gulf of Thailand about 410 kilometers (290 miles) south of Bangkok.

X-rays showed several capsules in Bellaiche's stomach, and police took him to a hospital where he took a laxative to help him excrete the packets, Narongpol said.

Police said Bellaiche, whose hometown they were unable to provide, was in custody pending further investigation. He could face life in prison if charged and convicted of drug trafficking, police said.

Cocaine is mostly used in Thailand by the wealthy. Methamphetamine and heroin, both produced in the region, is more popular among the less affluent.

- Associated Press

Nicked on a tip off, no honor amongst thieves any more,.

S amui police don't just stop you at the airport and a rrest you. why let him get to the islands before taking him into custody?? No good reason other than not having the info in advance. and no bangkok air stewardess is going to notice if you don't eat your meal on an hour long flight. seriously. dude could have walked out of BKK airport with no suitcases and took a train or bus down south and no one would have heard about this.

That's what I'm think, too.

He may have given some of his travel details to someone who knew. This, would be very foolish, if it's the case.

If the Brazil to BKK flight folks knew, maybe they checked his details, knew he would take the connecting flight and not leave the airport.

By arresting at Samui, they can press him for names of others, and use it as a tool on him.

But yeah, leaving the airport, laying low, then going to Samui seems like a safer route.

whatever his sentence turns out to be, and where he ends up spending most of it, he's likely to pick up a case of AIDS while spending some time in a Thai prison. That's the real punishment in this type of case :o

How Likely" is it he will get AID's - do you have the figures?

What is the prevalence of HIV+ prisoners in Thai jails - you must know this to make your statements!

Is male rape and and homosexual sex a big problem in Thai prisons - you seem to know or is the infection passed by another route?

Shared needles, dear boy, shared needles.

I rather think it common knowledge that prisons at best are dreary places and consequently drug usage is rife. Thai prisons one would imagine are less appealing than , say, their British counterparts where drug abuse is in the majority, and therefore recourse to any form of escapism must reasonably be expected to be that more prevalent.

Corruption among the custodians suggests that availability is more or less assured but the means by which it is administered perhaps less so. Most NGO Aids/HIV agencies attribute increase in incidence to penal use of dirty needles among other reasons.

Hope the real story will be out soon, since there are a lot of mules that get by the customs and Police, else there wouldn't be a drug scene on Samui!

Thailand itself is a minor producer of metamphetamines, the most common drug in the country by a large margin. In addition, neighbouring countries are still major producers of amphetamines and opiates. I doubt getting drugs from the mainland to an island like Samui poses any difficulty whatsoever.

Mules and smugglers that traffic on international aircraft make up such an insignificant amount of the overall picture they are not really worth mentioning.

This guy will do some time in a Thai jail that aside from the myths won't be all that bad, especially as a Westerner with a bit of money, then he will be back to his home country to serve out the remainder of his sentence.

I don't know where some posters get the idea that Thailand doesn't sentence drug smugglers to death, it most certainly does. It is more reluctant to carry out those sentences though, especially with Westerners.

:o Excuse me? Won't be all that bad????? How can you say that? Some of the Prison conditions here are horrific.

Hope the real story will be out soon, since there are a lot of mules that get by the customs and Police, else there wouldn't be a drug scene on Samui!

Thailand itself is a minor producer of metamphetamines, the most common drug in the country by a large margin. In addition, neighbouring countries are still major producers of amphetamines and opiates. I doubt getting drugs from the mainland to an island like Samui poses any difficulty whatsoever.

Mules and smugglers that traffic on international aircraft make up such an insignificant amount of the overall picture they are not really worth mentioning.

This guy will do some time in a Thai jail that aside from the myths won't be all that bad, especially as a Westerner with a bit of money, then he will be back to his home country to serve out the remainder of his sentence.

I don't know where some posters get the idea that Thailand doesn't sentence drug smugglers to death, it most certainly does. It is more reluctant to carry out those sentences though, especially with Westerners.

:o Excuse me? Won't be all that bad????? How can you say that? Some of the Prison conditions here are horrific.

Tell us about it!!

Tell us about it!!

I just did. Read down from post #43.

Your word is NOT facts, I wouldn't like to get sick in one! BUT I'm sure it wouldn't bother a unge fellow like you :o :shock1:Go for it, then! NOT me though!

Edited by SamuiJens

Shared needles, dear boy, shared needles.

I rather think it common knowledge that prisons at best are dreary places and consequently drug usage is rife. Thai prisons one would imagine are less appealing than , say, their British counterparts where drug abuse is in the majority, and therefore recourse to any form of escapism must reasonably be expected to be that more prevalent.

Corruption among the custodians suggests that availability is more or less assured but the means by which it is administered perhaps less so. Most NGO Aids/HIV agencies attribute increase in incidence to penal use of dirty needles among other reasons.

Yes drug abuse but is it needle based or smoked?

Again what are the HIV+ among prisoners in Thailand?

None of the semi-fiction works (I just blunted my argument) by Fellows, the Irish killer et al mention them getting involved in drugs but do others I suppose - but the posters use of the word "Likely" to get AIDS would leade me to think the rate is very high - a 97.5 confidence interval would be sought!

Thais arrest French man suspected of smuggling in nearly half a kilo (1 pound) of cocaine

BANGKOK, Thailand - Police on a popular south Thailand resort island said Monday they have arrested a French man who allegedly smuggled in 454 grams (1 pound) of cocaine from South America.

Acting on a tip, immigration police at the airport on the island of Samui searched Alain Bellaiche, 40, after he arrived Sunday on a flight from Bangkok, and determined that he was carrying the drug in 65 small packets that he had swallowed in an attempt to avoid detection, said Police Capt. Narongpol Pilmolsiri.

Narongpol said the suspect told police he had swallowed the drug while in Sao Paulo, Brazil, before flying from there to Bangkok and taking a connecting flight to Samui, which is in the Gulf of Thailand about 410 kilometers (290 miles) south of Bangkok.

X-rays showed several capsules in Bellaiche's stomach, and police took him to a hospital where he took a laxative to help him excrete the packets, Narongpol said.

Police said Bellaiche, whose hometown they were unable to provide, was in custody pending further investigation. He could face life in prison if charged and convicted of drug trafficking, police said.

Cocaine is mostly used in Thailand by the wealthy. Methamphetamine and heroin, both produced in the region, is more popular among the less affluent.

- Associated Press

Wrong destination! He would be jailed less than 3 years for 500gr of cocaine in Netherlands. He maybe took the wrong plane? ;-)

I've heard that air crew do keep an eye out for exactly this kind of behavior. Perhaps where the "tip" came from.

I should be ok then, as i eat everything they put in front of me and drink more than they offer me :D

:D Who do you fly with then MrBoj? I've yet to fly with an airline that serves food I feel like eating, much less finishing :D

All Airlines serve food that i can eat sbk. I've yet to fly on one that i couldn't stomach. Except one time i flew with Emirates during Ramadam, they ran out of the normal type food and only had this special one which is supposed to be only for muslims who are travelling during day light hours. Have you tasted it :o

I think it comes from when i was single, I'm not a good cook and so at every opportunity that someone else cooked me food, i would devour it and store it, as i didn't know where my next meal would come from :D

If I were so poor that I would consider smuggling drugs I think I'd beg on the street first, but I doubt that is the reason these people take these kinds of risks. Greed is more likely.

Yeah same here. There are many things i would do first but if push came to shove, i certainly wouldn't do it in a country where the results of being caught where as harsh as Thailand. For instance, if you get caught in the UK, you get a lovely cell, 3 meals a day and Satellite TV. It's a no brainer IMO

I don't think so. For that quantity you would get a sentence in the region of 8 to 10 years and whilst you possibly might get a clean cell it is likely to have up to 2 other people in it and okay you get tv but not satellite and you have to fight the hairy ape who wants to watch what he wants not you. Drug smuggling is not an idea whereever you are, especially for the mugs who do it as mules.

/quote]

I can't wait to read some posts from "bleeding hearts" telling everyone how this "poor innocent man" was "set up" by the mean, nasty Thai police!!

Yeah, sure!

why do people do it? the reason is- its so dam easy. 99.9% of those doing it get away with. After a few trips they then hire someone to do it for them.The odds are vastly in the crooks favour.

Its alot better than slaving away at a boring deadend job for years and years for a pittance.

I don,t blame them at all. In another world I may well do exactly the same thing.

All this nonsense about what is right and what is wrong.Why is it? Who says so? the same people who sell arms, sell their daughters, etc, etc.

Nobody forces people to take drugs... most of people who write in saying that they should get punished are the real losers. They,re upset that most get away with it and love it when one does,nt.

People do not like to be reminded that some crooks, in fact most, do get away with their crimes- and that their lawabiding dull life leaders really hate this

- Associated Press

Wrong destination! He would be jailed less than 3 years for 500gr of cocaine in Netherlands. He maybe took the wrong plane? ;-)

really?

why do people do it? the reason is- its so dam easy. 99.9% of those doing it get away with. After a few trips they then hire someone to do it for them.The odds are vastly in the crooks favour.

Its alot better than slaving away at a boring deadend job for years and years for a pittance.

I don,t blame them at all. In another world I may well do exactly the same thing.

All this nonsense about what is right and what is wrong.Why is it? Who says so? the same people who sell arms, sell their daughters, etc, etc.

Nobody forces people to take drugs... most of people who write in saying that they should get punished are the real losers. They,re upset that most get away with it and love it when one does,nt.

People do not like to be reminded that some crooks, in fact most, do get away with their crimes- and that their lawabiding dull life leaders really hate this

Sure sure, BUT there is NO honor within the criminals! :o

a real intelligent guy. Not only a life sentence, but also cocaine is in Thailand dirt cheap, ask the Burmese government,

Year, I agree. What a SILLY WASSOK he must be ! :o

Dirt cheap because there are so many people successfully smuggling!

Maybe he wasn't grassed up but because it's something he's done many times before. It's not the sort of thing you start doing at 40 years of age...

a real intelligent guy. Not only a life sentence, but also cocaine is in Thailand dirt cheap, ask the Burmese government,

And where is the cocaine coming from ?....Burma ?

Since when is cocaine produced in Burma or elsewhere in Asia ?

LaoPo

I can never fathom people who do this kind of thing myself. I suspect they think they won't get caught and so never consider the fallout --whereas I would always consider the consequences of getting caught and thus would not do it.

If I were so poor that I would consider smuggling drugs I think I'd beg on the street first, but I doubt that is the reason these people take these kinds of risks. Greed is more likely.

This may not be the case in this instance but the majority of drug smugglers who are serving sentences in the UK currently are women from desperately poor countries. Some are forced to do a drug run whilst their children are held hostage whilst others have got into debt and are offered a drug run or a less pleasant option.

Before you judge harshly please consider that they may not be doing this willingly and very well know the consequences but are powerless to change. And begging is, sometimes, not an option when everyone around you is as poor as you.

And where is the cocaine coming from ?....Burma ?

Since when is cocaine produced in Burma or elsewhere in Asia ?

LaoPo

I would like to know as well, wrecker? Tell us all about it......