Nationwide + Bradford & Bingley Accounts

(For self-evident reasons, this question is directed solely to UK members)

I have accounts with both Nationwide (e-savings + FlexAccount) and Bradford & Bingley (e-savings + ISA's). For the usual reasons, I opt to use the Nationwide FlexAccount for ATM withdrawals here in LOS - since I moved here just over a year ago. In a couple of months, I will need to get a replacement Nationwide Debit Card when the current one expires. Key question: is it OK for me to ask Nationwide to send the replacement to my Thai address - i.e. to be 100% open that this is where I now live?

The best I can establish so far is that this is something of a grey area - e.g.that you probably have to be (physically) UK resident (domiciled?) to actually open the account - but they're not overly bothered where you are after that........... kind of "don't ask, don't tell". I'd really appreciate comments from those with first-hand experience of notifying Nationwide - whether it turned out good or bad.

BTW, in case it matters, I do still have a UK address (in the form of my previous UK home) property which is now rented out and I pay UK tax on the rental income.

Although I don't draw cash directly from the Bradford & Bingley accounts (i.e. no ATM cards), I'd also appreciate comments about their policy - again drawn from first-hand experience. From what I understand, technically I should not still be holding the ISA's if I am not UK resident/domiciled. There are funds in a B&B e-savings account (as also with the Nationwide) and they deduct basic rate tax before crediting the interest to my accounts - as I have not yet informed either that I am living outside the UK (R85 form etc).

Thanks in advance.

Nationwide will not send your Visa card to Thailand, period.

There's no problem if you change your account address to a Thai address, but they will not send you a card there.

Your best bet is to change the account address to that of a friend/relative in the UK and ask them to forward the card to you. (Registered mail strongly recommended.)

There's no problem if you change your account address to a Thai address, but they will not send you a card there.

Your best bet is to change the account address to that of a friend/relative in the UK and ask them to forward the card to you. (Registered mail strongly recommended.)

Hi

Agree 100% with Oswulf.

Having just lost my Flexaccount card I know first hand that nationwide will not mail a card outside UK.

TBWG :o

Hi steve2uk

Go into the MY accounts page on your e-account d'load a 'change of address form'. That can be sent to bank but it (and telling them your in LOS) will NOT get cards to you. The only option (assuming your not returning to blighty soon) is to change address PLUS card address to a SAFE Uk one and provide a honest friend who lives there some ID with your name & address on it (you could apply for a credit/store card from that new address,Just for this purpose) and get you new best buddy to fool Postman Pat when card delivered or collected from sorting office. SWIFT (Foriegn Transfer) forms can also be d'loaded/posted in the same way, if things go pear-shaped and you have to get your dosh out of Bank.

Good Luck (or Chock Dee)

Dave (ex Bank Manager) :o

Hi

Agree 100% with Oswulf.

Having just lost my Flexaccount card I know first hand that nationwide will not mail a card outside UK.

Hi Tall Aquatic One

Sorry to hear about your predicament, shame if we had a little more time, I might have been able to help cos Big Bruv is coming out next Sunday and Im sure I/we could have sorted something out.

Hope the ballcock is still functioning up there.

Dave

Thanks to all for the prompt and definitive replies about the N/wide card - even if they do confirm my fears :o

I have arrangements in place for general mail to get picked up and dealt with - so it seems best to "let sleeping dogs lie". Do N/wide send out the replacement cards automatically and do they use registered/recorded delivery? If no signature is required, then I could retrieve the cards with the rest of the mail. If a signature is required, I guess I could switch the address to my accountants and have their office sign for receipt?

All in all, very happy to be here in LOS and no plans for trips to UK except for emergencies.

Yes and No..... :o and Yes...

Recently got my latest cards directly to House when old ones were about to expire...Flex and Visa gold...no sig /receipt..etc.

KW got 2 Flex/Acc cards and one has been a permanant fixture with nieces (who run the Biz) in Samut Prakan for the last 3-4 years but we just take the new ones out when we go on a jolly.

Recently got my latest cards directly to House when old ones were about to expire...Flex and Visa gold...no sig /receipt..etc.

KW got 2 Flex/Acc cards and one has been a permanant fixture with nieces (who run the Biz) in Samut Prakan for the last 3-4 years but we just take the new ones out when we go on a jolly.

Thanks, Rinrada! If I follow your answers to my points correctly:

Yes - N/wide send out replacement cards automatically (when existing ones are due to expire)

No - they don't use registered/recorded delivery which would require a signature on delivery

:D - I guess this is my point about retrieving the mail from my UK address (got a friend there who deals with it)

Yes - if a signature would be required, I could use my accountant's address

(did I get it right? next time I'll use numbered questions! :D )

For the benefit of others who may be following this for their own info - I note (and know from your other excellent posts) that you are based in the UK........ so "House" for you is in the UK not LOS.

I have accounts with both Nationwide (e-savings + FlexAccount) and Bradford & Bingley (e-savings + ISA's). For the usual reasons, I opt to use the Nationwide FlexAccount for ATM withdrawals here in LOS - since I moved here just over a year ago. In a couple of months, I will need to get a replacement Nationwide Debit Card when the current one expires. Key question: is it OK for me to ask Nationwide to send the replacement to my Thai address - i.e. to be 100% open that this is where I now live?

The best I can establish so far is that this is something of a grey area - e.g.that you probably have to be (physically) UK resident (domiciled?) to actually open the account - but they're not overly bothered where you are after that........... kind of "don't ask, don't tell". I'd really appreciate comments from those with first-hand experience of notifying Nationwide - whether it turned out good or bad.

BTW, in case it matters, I do still have a UK address (in the form of my previous UK home) property which is now rented out and I pay UK tax on the rental income.

Although I don't draw cash directly from the Bradford & Bingley accounts (i.e. no ATM cards), I'd also appreciate comments about their policy - again drawn from first-hand experience. From what I understand, technically I should not still be holding the ISA's if I am not UK resident/domiciled. There are funds in a B&B e-savings account (as also with the Nationwide) and they deduct basic rate tax before crediting the interest to my accounts - as I have not yet informed either that I am living outside the UK (R85 form etc).

Thanks in advance.

Idont think you wil get a card sent to thailand, i know the A+l wont, i lost mine and had to have it sent to a uk adddress, then it was forwarded on to me, i think if you tell them you are living/working in thailand you will stil need a uk address,.

Hi steve2uk

Go into the MY accounts page on your e-account d'load a 'change of address form'. That can be sent to bank but it (and telling them your in LOS) will NOT get cards to you. The only option (assuming your not returning to blighty soon) is to change address PLUS card address to a SAFE Uk one and provide a honest friend who lives there some ID with your name & address on it (you could apply for a credit/store card from that new address,Just for this purpose) and get you new best buddy to fool Postman Pat when card delivered or collected from sorting office. SWIFT (Foriegn Transfer) forms can also be d'loaded/posted in the same way, if things go pear-shaped and you have to get your dosh out of Bank.

Good Luck (or Chock Dee)

Dave (ex Bank Manager) :o

i had my card sent to my uncles, it had to be signed for, they wouldnt let him sign ! caused me major problems,.also be careful giving friends address for bank statements etc, they will put that addres on the system for you and if you have any problems, ie DEBT the addressee will get serious problems,.

I have spoken to my Nationwide Branch about settling in Thailand and they dont see it as a problem with cards mail etc, maybe the attitude depends on branches but to date they have not been very obstructive, I have a further meeting with them in Feb to discuss more arrangements.

Maybe a cautous approach to the branch will bring results.....

Just a thought!!

I have spoken to my Nationwide Branch about settling in Thailand and they dont see it as a problem with cards mail etc, maybe the attitude depends on branches but to date they have not been very obstructive, I have a further meeting with them in Feb to discuss more arrangements.

Just a thought!!

And just when I thought it was all becoming very black and white - maybe it is varying shades of grey after all! This kind of bears out what I had picked up from elsewhere (a different general UK expat forum).............. although it might also be your particular N/wide branch not knowing the "rules" (whatever they actually are) or having discretion when they know the customer personally? That's a situation we're all too familiar with here in Thailand - different branches applying different rules!

Pattayaparent - do you mind saying which bank? In addition to my N/wide cards, I also have cash & credit cards from Royal Bank of Scotland - but haven't been bothered about those because I don't use them (while the N/wide cards are still valid) and I can do the rest of what I need to with the RBS accounts via online banking.

Mikethevigoman - good point and I don't want to create problems for someone just trying to help me out. All in all, I just want to do what works as simply as possible.

Just a note: The r85 form isn't a declaration of living abroad, it's a declaration of being under

your personal tax threshold.

You can also get your rent tax free if you're under your personal allowance by

filling in a NRL1 form (non resident landlord)

david

Thanks, Rinrada! If I follow your answers to my points correctly:

Yes - N/wide send out replacement cards automatically (when existing ones are due to expire)

No - they don't use registered/recorded delivery which would require a signature on delivery

:D - I guess this is my point about retrieving the mail from my UK address (got a friend there who deals with it)

Yes - if a signature would be required, I could use my accountant's address

(did I get it right? next time I'll use numbered questions! :D )

For the benefit of others who may be following this for their own info - I note (and know from your other excellent posts) that you are based in the UK........ so "House" for you is in the UK not LOS.

Sorry if confusing......

New N/W debit and Visa cards sent directly to my house here in London about a month before the old ones expire...plain envelopes and No signature required..... :D

Hi

Agree 100% with Oswulf.

Hi Tall Aquatic One

Sorry to hear about your predicament, shame if we had a little more time, I might have been able to help cos Big Bruv is coming out next Sunday and Im sure I/we could have sorted something out.

Hope the ballcock is still functioning up there.

Dave

Hi D the D

No problem had it hand delivered to me yesterday by Mum of local UK farang who is over for Xmas.

Are you and bro passing through Buriram airport? If so you must pop in.

We must get together soon!

TBWG :D

Just a thought!!

And just when I thought it was all becoming very black and white - maybe it is varying shades of grey after all! This kind of bears out what I had picked up from elsewhere (a different general UK expat forum).............. although it might also be your particular N/wide branch not knowing the "rules" (whatever they actually are) or having discretion when they know the customer personally? That's a situation we're all too familiar with here in Thailand - different branches applying different rules!

Pattayaparent - do you mind saying which bank? In addition to my N/wide cards, I also have cash & credit cards from Royal Bank of Scotland - but haven't been bothered about those because I don't use them (while the N/wide cards are still valid) and I can do the rest of what I need to with the RBS accounts via online banking.

Mikethevigoman - good point and I don't want to create problems for someone just trying to help me out. All in all, I just want to do what works as simply as possible.

Hi again Steve

Please dont take this as a 'smart @rse' comment but having worked in a bank for 26 years, I know that,

1) proccesing plastic cards is NOTHING to do with branch staff,they just take in applications.

2) Many staff are on annual contracts &/or are agency staff - so product information is limited

3) You will NOT get your cards sent by Building Soc (pretending to be Bank) to Thailand - FACT

4) I was told all these stories too and after talking to card issuing centre, I found that :- see 3) above

Regards and good luck

Dave :o

Edited by Dave the Dude

Just a thought!!

Hi again Steve

Please dont take this as a 'smart @rse' comment but having worked in a bank for 26 years, I know that,

1) proccesing plastic cards is NOTHING to do with branch staff,they just take in applications.

2) Many staff are on annual contracts &/or are agency staff - so product information is limited

3) You will NOT get your cards sent by Building Soc (pretending to be Bank) to Thailand - FACT

4) I was told all these stories too and after talking to card issuing centre, I found that :- see 3) above

Regards and good luck

Dave :o

Hi Dave - certainly not taken as a smart@rse comment! :D [as it happens, I spent a year making staff training video's for one of the "Big Four" - so I have a near-insider view of 2) in your post]. Well, I think that clinches it - looks like I switch the address to my accountants office when the time comes.

Pattayaparent - thanks for the info. I assume that HSBC (Jersey) is an "offshore" entity and therefore a] used to sending cards all round the planet and b] not bound by UK (onshore) practices in that respect?

Pattayaparent - thanks for the info. I assume that HSBC (Jersey) is an "offshore" entity and therefore a] used to sending cards all round the planet and b] not bound by UK (onshore) practices in that respect?

Hi yet again Steve2UK

Yes, correct about HSBC International, I had an account there too but closed it due to the fact that they brought in a minimum balance (sorry dont remember amount) and that off-shore accounts ARE taxable now under UK TAX laws.

In saying that, I was impressed by the firm especially being able to action SWIFT (Int fundsTransfers) on-line.

DAVE :o

Thanks in advance.

On the bold part above I have checked out the status on several occasions before concerning ISAs / PEPs and you are allowed to retain then once you become non-resident but as you are probably aware you can't open new ones after being classed non-resident.

I too have been a happy Nationwide customer for many years. Have mortgage/ISA & flex account with them and the no fee's for ATM withdrawals here in Thailand obviously a bonus.

Recently I have informed them of change of address using the form on the internet banking and posted off to HQ -Swindon.

On Friday received a letter back saying can I pop into my local branch and provide an electronic signature, bringing means of identification too.

Well I have messaged them back, that there is not a branch here in Amphur Wichian- please advise!!

Not read all replies.

My advice is.

1. Open another Flex account and get another ATM card, which will have a full valid period and serve as a reserve.

2. If enough time still in UK, tell Nationwide your current card has been damaged (will not work) not stolen as account may be shut down. They will send a new card and expiry date will be for the maximum

3. Get neighbour or friend to sort out next new card(s) needed in 4 years or so at the time and registered address family or friend house in UK. They can forward to you or you may like a holiday back in the UK in 4 years time or so

2. If enough time still in UK, tell Nationwide your current card has been damaged (will not work) not stolen as account may be shut down. They will send a new card and expiry date will be for the maximum

I've never understood this. If you tell them it's damaged you get a new card with a new expiry date. If you tell them it's lost you get a new card with the original expiry date on your lost card. Anyone any idea why this is?

I've never understood this. If you tell them it's damaged you get a new card with a new expiry date. If you tell them it's lost you get a new card with the original expiry date on your lost card. Anyone any idea why this is?

Seem to remember that it went along the line of if its Damaged ...then kaput...cant ever use again its def.gone so you get a brand spanking new one with a new date.....old one gone forever.

...maybe under the bed hiding and probably not damaged...and might turn up so although you get a new new car the EX date stays the same as your old one....bit of logic there somewhere..... :D

Incid ...popped into my N/W branch the other day and asked the lassie if they would send me new cards ..Debit and Visa (on expiry)to LOS if requested and they said..........Yes...so :D:o

Seem to remember that it went along the line of if its Damaged ...then kaput...cant ever use again its def.gone so you get a brand spanking new one with a new date.....old one gone forever.

...maybe under the bed hiding and probably not damaged...and might turn up so although you get a new new car the EX date stays the same as your old one....bit of logic there somewhere..... :D

Incid ...popped into my N/W branch the other day and asked the lassie if they would send me new cards ..Debit and Visa (on expiry)to LOS if requested and they said..........Yes...so :D:D

Hi Rinrada

PLEASE read my post No.17 and PLEASE do as I did in suggestion No.4

You will then find out that you will not get cards sent to LOS

You will find out that a seperate UK address is required for the plastic card department of the B/S

You will find out that the customer contact staff are trained like Thai car sales persons (oops Sorry Steve2UK) :o

and finally (hopefully) you will find out I am right and have helped you

Regards

Dave (sorry to sound like I'v been there done that, but I have!!)

p.s. Where in London, be a bit more specific !

Edited by Dave the Dude

sorry guys, but you're all wrong even the guy pretending to be working or know someone (reliable) working for nationwide.

I've been banking with them happily over the years initially living in Uk & later changing resident address several times around europe & asia without major problems.

It used to be very simple to change address thru a secure online banking message, but since a year or 2 it's now required to print out, sign & post the form to UK for both NW flex account & NW credit card departments.

So after having registered your overseas address with them correctly they'll ship any letters, renewed cards whatever to you where ever you live be it Ireland, the Caribbean or LOS - well at least they have with me & surely I can't be such a great customer with them abusing their free global ATM network extensively as well as reward credit cards & haven't deposited any salary with them for years ;-)

Plenty other banks will allow that, but then again some will prefer NOT to have customers living far away overseas 'abusing' their services & tax free banking after fleeing the country for greener pastures (they will either kindly ask you to bank elsewhere or simply close your accounts), but come on no need to fly in country & hand carry your new credit card LOL :-)

Edited by worldfun

sorry guys, but you're all wrong even the guy pretending to be working or know someone (reliable) working for nationwide.

Hi worldfun

I think the above is referring to me and to explain I have never worked for N/wide building society, just one of the 'Big Four' in the City for 26 years. :D

I am pleased you have this arrangement with your building society branch staff and long may it continue. :o Having spoken to the Manager of NW card services, I assure you that cards will NOT be sent DIRECTLY from that office to addresses abroad. I can only assume that yours have (luckily) got 'refer markers' on them and are posted to your branch who then 'manually' forward them onto you wherever you are.

I believe (and dont know, to be fair) that it will only take either a branch card audit/staff change or branch inspection for this practise to stop suddenly. :D

Obviously I hope this doesn't happen to you,but for you to say I am wrong is IMO the same as calling me a liar and as they say in Thailand 'up to you' What benefit am I getting from explaining that my Nationwide cards will not be sent to me in Thailand? The phrase Sweet .F.ALL springs to mind :D

Incid ...popped into my N/W branch the other day and asked the lassie if they would send me new cards ..Debit and Visa (on expiry)to LOS if requested and they said..........Yes...so :bah::D

Hi Rinrada

PLEASE read my post No.17 and PLEASE do as I did in suggestion No.4

You will then find out that you will not get cards sent to LOSYou will find out that a seperate UK address is required for the plastic card department of the B/S

You will find out that the customer contact staff are trained like Thai car sales persons (oops Sorry Steve2UK) :o

and finally (hopefully) you will find out I am right and have helped you

Regards

Dave (sorry to sound like I'v been there done that, but I have!!)

p.s. Where in London, be a bit more specific !

Dave .....when I spoke to the lass in Nationwide,Enfield Branch North London...think name Suzy ..but might be wrong there...I confirmed that I have a couple of A/Cs (also K Wife) visa ,EX Mortgage and will still keep my Enfield residence /house even when abroad....LOS

I mentiond that I was asking on behalf of the membership of the WORLDS largest and Most influential Overseas Expatriate Organisation and that I would pass her response to our Hundred of Thousands of Highly regarded and well respected readers ...and who also have a few bob... :D

OK being a little bit MODest and should have said Millions of members :D ...but anyway she Confirmed that Nationwide would indeed send me our cards to any of our addresses in LOS...Bangkok,Chiang Mai......(dont know about Turtle Island yet)

She also mentioned that they would NOT be registered ....plain brown envelope jobby.....

I also mentioned that shurely this was unusual and not standard pratice by Banks/B.Soc.but she replied that WE know you.......long time customer....&..thats it....

What I will do however is to double check with their HEAD Office and see wot they say...... :bah: