New Triumph Motorcycle Shop In Chiang Mai

T_Dog

Saw a few dozen beautiful new Triumphs on a corner of Nimmanhaemin Road in Chiang Mai (I think it was Soi 11 or 13) and stopped by to look and talk with the owner. Turns out a new shop is opening up with a Grand Opening on 6 December. Worth a visit.

A few dozen models is quite a lot, especially in the West, considering that the big T does not have a full product range. I shall drop by and regale the staff with stories of my 700 dragracing twin and my 250 single. My very first bikes!

Don't know if all the bikes were part of the shop's inventory or fellow owners stopping by for the pre-grand opening. Lots of bikes inside. Truimph bikes sure have come a long way. Not the bikes of old anymore! I rode an 850 Norton Commando for a while, and that is one bike that I wish I still had.

The official grand opening of the Triumph shop occurred today!

They have a couple of Daytona Speed Triple's (red and grey/black) going in the 670 to 690K baht range. They come with papers, plates and are spanking brand new.

The accessories like gloves and leathers are decent enough but seem to be slightly dearer than even Fast Corner (in Pantip Plaza).

I asked him about crash helmets but he's not got a single lid in stock!

A good addition to Nimmanhaemin Road nevertheless :o

Don't know if all the bikes were part of the shop's inventory or fellow owners stopping by for the pre-grand opening. Lots of bikes inside. Truimph bikes sure have come a long way. Not the bikes of old anymore! I rode an 850 Norton Commando for a while, and that is one bike that I wish I still had.

Pretty sure the Commando was a 750? :o

Maybe they made a 750 as well but am not very familiar with the line. The one I rode was an 850. Black with Gold trim and gold lettering. So much torque even at low RPM.

Maybe they made a 750 as well but am not very familiar with the line. The one I rode was an 850. Black with Gold trim and gold lettering. So much torque even at low RPM.

Hi

Your both right. Norton changed from 750 to 850 commando's for the last few years of their existance (around 1976,I think). Both are very sought after and many companies in the UK still produce aftermarket goodies(twin disc conversions ect). I never owned one as I'm from a 'Triumph' owning family. I had 3 Bonnies and a Tigercub scrambler plus me old Dad was 'called up' to war with his Triumph bike.

Dave

• Like 1

A few dozen models is quite a lot, especially in the West, considering that the big T does not have a full product range. I shall drop by and regale the staff with stories of my 700 dragracing twin and my 250 single. My very first bikes!

PB, Triumph never made a 250, what you had was a Triumph badged 250 BSA Starfire, about 1968/70 these were in prodution, and the 700cc Triumph, it must have had a Devimead Morego or Weslake conversion on it,

750/850 Norton Comandoes, with the all black and gold striping, these came about when John Player Special sponsered the race teams, [remember the fag packets?] also the rotary engined Norton which done very well at British Superbike Meetings in the hands of Ron Haslam, Steve Spray, Trevor Nation ect,

Cheers, Lickey..

• Like 1

PB, Triumph never made a 250, what you had was a Triumph badged 250 BSA Starfire, about 1968/70 these were in prodution, and the 700cc Triumph, it must have had a Devimead Morego or Weslake conversion on it,

750/850 Norton Comandoes, with the all black and gold striping, these came about when John Player Special sponsered the race teams, [remember the fag packets?] also the rotary engined Norton which done very well at British Superbike Meetings in the hands of Ron Haslam, Steve Spray, Trevor Nation ect,

Cheers, Lickey..

Thanks for clarifying about my Triumph-badged 250 single, which was a scrambler with asbestos shield over the mid-rise muffler. My 700cc was a bored out 650 with racing cams, high compression, one impossible Amal carb, Lucas excuses for electrics, etc. I lied about "my very first bikes!" if you could count the Cushman scooter as a bike. However, the Cushman was just a piece of scooter junk that still influences my opinions of step-throughs.

I haven't made it down to the new dealer yet, so tomorrow's a good idea if I will get to bed now.

Well if we are into confessions about first bikes, mine was a Honda Trail 90 that had two rear sprockets. You would slide the large ring out, move the 4 hub storage bolts to the small sprocket/big sprocket indent, add a length of chain and you had a slow but very capable trail machine. It would go everywhere, and I cruised the backwoods and mud of Upper Michigan on it endlessly. It had an air filter up high and you could have water up around your knees until the water seeped in through the gasket on the points engine cover. I found this out several times!

Amazing though to see the success Honda had with that 90 cc engine. It is used in all these bikes today, virtually unchanged except for larger bore and slightly better carbs. It must be the most reproduced engine of all time.

• Like 2

• 11 years later...
3 hours ago, tpthai2 said:

If you guys have any photos would love to see them.  One of my top three favorites.  I bought it in 66"  picture from 67'.   66' Triumph TT Special.  

141894641_66TriumphTTSpecialcopy.jpg.e2660a157374190a0ade38f0a5dcfbb0.jpg

First post in 12 years;

way to go !!

• Haha 1