When Money Talks, It Somethimes Insults

CHdiver

From "The Oregonian"

When money talks, it sometimes insults Etiquette experts offer this tip on gratuities: They aren't always appreciated elsewhere Sunday, November 11, 2007ROSEMARY MCCLURE

Most Americans tip too much when they travel overseas. In some cases, they hand out so much money in gratuities that people think they're foolish; in other cases, people are insulted.

The most glaring way to show you're an American -- besides your accent -- is to overtip, said Lynn Staneff of Magellan's travel supply company. "In some countries, particularly in Asia, it isn't even considered polite to tip. When you do it in these places, you're saying that the person you're tipping isn't hospitable enough to provide service without a bribe."

Tipping is a relatively recent custom, even in the United States, where it was considered demeaning until the 20th century, etiquette expert Miss Manners, aka Judith Martin, has written in her columns. Before that, many Americans thought that accepting a bit of extra money from a customer, besides your regular pay, seemed like a handout. It smacked of Old World servitude.

We got over that, to some people's dismay. As Miss Manners is fond of saying, "(I have) been railing against tipping for years, as a vile system that brings out the worst in both giver and receiver."

Beyond respect, there's an ethical issue involved in tipping abroad.

Some travelers think they should spread the wealth, especially in developing nations, where poverty is prevalent. They think tipping is ethically correct, even if it is a cultural error.

"Are Americans tipping to 'pay it forward' and share a few dollars with someone who would greatly benefit, or (are they doing it in) ignorance of the local customs because they couldn't be bothered to learn them?" asked Ramani Durvasula, associate professor of psychology at California State University.

"At the end of the day," she said, "the responsible traveler does her homework, learns the social mores and applauds excellent service with a compliment."

How does one go about doing that homework?

"Check guidebooks in the region you're going to," suggests Anna Post, an etiquette maven at the Emily Post Institute. "Or ask the concierge. Just say, 'We're from out of town, and we don't know what the custom is on tipping.' "

You might find that a tip is included in the bill. That's true in many European restaurants and hotels.

You might learn that tipping is common in the larger cities in a region but not in the countryside.

Or you might be told that there's no tipping at all, such as in Vietnam, Thailand, Fiji and in parts of the South Pacific.

And that's information you wouldn't want to ignore.

I'm an American, and usually tip at restaurants or my Barber. Don't over do it, but just what I feel is appropriate as a sign of appreciation for good service. If the restaurant has an automatic 10% service charge added on the the bill then no additional tip from me. However if the service has been particularly BAD will leave on the table 1 or 2 baht, or if really, really bad 3 satong. This never fails to send the staff a message.

Anyway tipping is a nasty habit, but in the States service people( waiters, waitesses etc) are usually paid quit poorly and make most of their dosh from tips. It's an accepted custom, just as in other parts of the world it is not.

What I particularly dislike is Christmas time tipping that usually includes EVERY ONE, even the post man.

edit for spelling & typos

Edited by cm-happy

Or you might be told that there's no tipping at all, such as in Vietnam, Thailand, Fiji and in parts of the South Pacific.

This woman needs to get out more.

Naka.

:o Sounds right. She needs to take one of her own tours or something. Silly cow.

As Miss Manners is fond of saying, "(I have) been railing against tipping for years, as a vile system that brings out the worst in both giver and receiver."

So those of us who tip, however meagerly, are part of a "vile system"? I'd love to hear her rationale on that one. The trouble with newspaper columnists is that they have to find something to write about on a regular basis. Some do a good job and provide interesting pieces, others write irrelevant drivel just to get paid. This article is an excellent example of the latter.

This woman needs to get out more.

Naka.

:D Sounds right. She needs to take one of her own tours or something. Silly cow.

Maybe somebody was pulling her (ignorant) leg - and she fell for it - hook, line & sinker ? :o

I absolutely agree that over-tipping can be as foolish as not tipping at all, but the people in that article do need to get out more. I'll have to tell my Thai friends who do tip that an American travel agency says there is no tipping in Thailand. :o