Moving To Thailand

markydd

i should be moving to thailand next year and want to bring my can,t part withouts with me this includes my v max, hi fi,guitars plus the thai wife and daughter.I,ve heard stories of people bringing there own car and been given so much grief by customs they left it there.one guy reckons the guy wanted it for himself.which is why i,m a little wary.anyone heard any good reports

markydd

Hi Mark,I looked into bringing my car over and the customs wanted to load 320% onto it plus the £850 to ship it there,Think you might have a similar problem with the bike,I am going to sell my car here in the UKand buy a Isuzu pick up when i am in LOS,

By the way,You can gets Isuzu rodeos here now top of the range for £18k but they only cost £10k to buy in LOS :o

thanks guys

i think i will drop the v-max to much hassle and work out cheaper to pick one up over there the pickup from los sounds like good idea i was looking at the thai built mitibushi will have to have a think about that one

cheers mark

markydd,

there is another guy on this forum that told me that if the bike or vehicle is in your Thai wifes' name for a certain period of time (I think 18 months) that there is no import duty. Don't quote me on exact time for this but I'm pretty sure that's what he said. Might be worth investigating. Do your household in a container and I think you can get a lot through because of the wifey thing. One of the guys here should know. :o

Kringle and markydd, I've heard about this also. Not sure on all the restrictions. Love to bring

my beloved BMW 1150 RT over. Heard though what ever way you bring it over, in wifely name, on a retirement visa, or just go the import tax route it must be fully disassembled?

I would sell her before it was taking apart then put back together, then again this, "

buy a v-max here, unrestricted 145 bhp, about 180000bht" as davethailand brought up sound like a great idea...a fine bike for sure.....

Kringle and markydd, I've heard about this also. Not sure on all the restrictions. Love to bring

my beloved BMW 1150 RT over. Heard though what ever way you bring it over, in wifely name, on a retirement visa, or just go the import tax route it must be fully disassembled?

I would sell her before it was taking apart then put back together, then again this, "

buy a v-max here, unrestricted 145 bhp, about 180000bht" as davethailand brought up sound like a great idea...a fine bike for sure.....

I have some friends who have had their bikes shipped to Singapore, then they drive it to Thailand. At the border, you register your bike, and your bike is allowed in Thailand for the length of your visa, and you can renew it, the same as yourself when you get a new border stamp...But, as I've heard, you have to take the bike back through the original entry point only, each time.

It was 3 or 4 years ago, and I'm a bit hazy on the details. Not sure if it's still the same...

I do know that BMW's and Harleys are the only big bikes allowed to be imported legally. I think the duty is right around 100%, at least for a Harley.

Good Question. I assume they have a Rate Book for used vehicles, but it's just guess. If I remember, I'll ask my friend tommorow for what he knows of the current scene, and report back here. I've been mostly outa these loops for awhile. Man, I'm a Dinosaur! :o

Honestly, when you get into the Customs end of things, anything is possible. I spent yesterday at the Chiang Mai Customs getting a paintball gun cleared, and these guys merrily led me around by my cajones, which even my wife couldn't do :D

The story is in the CM forum.

From what I remember of the guy registerring the bike in his wifes' name, he didn't say the bike had to be dissasembled but will call him later to check and see what the process is to do this. Might just get him to respond and make it easier. Getting closer to getting all the parts for my 900 Kawasaki and maybe by the end of the year I'll have everything. :o

Hi dave is it standard i,ve had mine for about 8 years 17 inch rear wheel,lazer pro stock exhuast,all the alloy apart from engine stripped and polished single seat conversion,k&n filter, bigger battery,progressive fork springs,straight bars,fly screen.*hit the more i think about it the less i want to part with it.maybe i could get it in a suitcase abit at a time.

mark

its bog standard, quiet an old one 87, you don't really see newer ones here. its in nice condition though, drives well.

remember this is the place for customizing cars, bikes & engines.

this particular vmax belongs to my business partner, he never ever drives it, once in 4 months he's scared of it.

offer him 180000 or maybe less, he will probably take it.

Good Question. I assume they have a Rate Book for used vehicles, but it's just  guess. If I remember, I'll ask my friend tommorow for what he knows of the current scene, and report back here. I've been mostly outa these loops for awhile. Man, I'm a Dinosaur! :o

Honestly, when you get into the Customs end of things, anything is possible. I spent yesterday at the Chiang Mai Customs getting a paintball gun cleared, and these guys merrily led me around by my cajones, which even my wife couldn't do  :D

The story is in the CM forum.

Just to report back a bit..

He confirmed the Harley (new) at 100% duty, but also included what I mentioned before about Customs being upredictable, in his experience.

The deal with bringing your bike (or car) via Singapore, and driving into Thailand, is still the same as I described earlier. I was also reminded that you need to get a Carne' (carnet) for your vehicle. I believe this is still good for one year, and allows for 'temporary importation' without paying taxes, duties, deposits.

Still not sure about the valuation regarding a used BMW being imported in permanetly.

I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the 'temporary' option. It's such a great ride..... :D

Here's a related story I wrote about 7 or 8 years ago http://asiarecipe.com/penang.html

This ones unrestricted also (i've checked engine and frame numbers) the engines from america 145bhp and i think the bike originated from canada. (the engine has been rebuilt fully).

i've lit up the bike tyre a few times on it, a real drag machine.

the one my mates building also has had a complete strip down and rebuild, gas adjustable shocks and performance exhaust system.

the shops called siam racing in pattaya, e mail Scott and he'll tell you what its got.

Hi dave is it standard i,ve had mine for about 8 years 17 inch rear wheel,lazer pro stock exhuast,all the alloy apart from engine stripped and polished single seat conversion,k&n filter, bigger battery,progressive fork springs,straight bars,fly screen.*hit the more i think about it the less i want to part with it.maybe i could get it in a suitcase abit at a time.

mark

Dude I would take all the kit off your bike and bring it over as parts, maybe even in your container, then buy yourself a stock V max and refit everything. Accesories are hard to get and expensive in Thailand. As for Vmax cost, an early one, late 80's usually go for around 120K to 140K. Most of them were used as hire bikes, heaps still in Pattaya running round.

The best Vmax I ever saw was at Teera motorcycles, was a 95 model or so, tricked out with everything and like brand new. They wanted 200K for it, but for the year and the gear on it, it was worth it. Had ohlins, yoshimura, etc.

Vmax is a pretty poor handling bike though, Just a great engine. The Honda X4 is a great riding bike and you can pick up one of these at a reasonable price, 170K baht for a perfect one, 1300cc engine, very good brakes and actually handles well enough to scrape everything that hangs off it! Looks ok too..

As for the Carnet option, from what I know you have to put up the bikes value minimum as a security bond when you enter the country, I know a guy who has been in Thailand for about 4 years now on his Carnet, sort of got sidetracked on his round the world trip! :o

IV also asked this question and read the treads on same there is a lot of confusion

Over this, customs issue.

I for one loath having to give up my SCOOBY but paying 210% duty or more is a painful option.

There are certain questions still unanswered can you import via Malaysia from Japan

Are there ways around this?

With everthing said so far, forget to import.

Well, there is one exception. Returning Thais can import one use vehicle. Personally, I would not do it, the first handicap, you have to prove that your Thai wife owed and drove the vehicle.

No, I would not do it for anybody as in this case the owner should be there in person and expect to stay there for a day or so in Customs house.

Anyway, have a look in this and bare in mind, I said, I would not go through wiith it:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...nalPer#eligible

IV also asked this question and read the treads on same there is a lot of confusion

I for one loath having to give up my SCOOBY but paying 210% duty or more is a painful option.

I feel the same about my S70 T5,It has been highly modded 310 bhp,160 on a calibrated speedo,It will hurt me to let her go,as i have spent so much time and money on her,and know i would never be able to get her into LOS :D

But then again i will save £950 a year on the insurance :o

You got any pics of the scooby?

I feel the same about my S70 T5,It has been highly modded 310 bhp,160 on a calibrated speedo,It will hurt me to let her go,as i have spent so much time and money on her,and know i would never be able to get her into LOS :D

But then again i will save £950 a year on the insurance :o

You got any pics of the scooby?

Scooby is a Forester sti 289bhp does corners like an MX5 2001

will find out how to post or load up photo. TRYED.

Nice pics Siam.

What I don’t like about the Scooby is everything is pink even the strut brace the shocks intercooler. Even the brake discs.

About insurance I insured mine commercially and taxed it also INS 560euros fully comp and tax 250euros.

Imported the car directly myself from Japan.