Hotel Recomendations In Sukhumvit

markr

Just like to here your views as to a nice place to stay for my wife and i for around 1500 baht in the lower sukhumvit area in march next year?

Thanks

Mark

Mark

Got two American friends who just came in yesterday, I'd recommended they stay at the Federal Hotel on Soi 11 Sukumvit.  Had lunch with them today, they're satisfied.  My sister, brother in law, and six more family stayed there off and on during a two month trip last December & January, same deal, no complaints.

Mac

I live on lower Sukhumvit, and stayed here in hotels many times before relocating...

Agree with the prior poster... Swiss Park on Soi 11, very close to Nana BTS... is very nice and the staff is helpful and friendly. They have some condo contstruction going on nearby, but I think most of the big noise has passed. Decent buffet breakfast also. Rates vary by time of year, usually around 1500.

On the other side of the road a bit further back is the Royal Asia Lodge on Soi 8, which is directly opposite Soi 11. No breakfast available there, but they have a 24-hour free tuk tuk to take you between the hotel and the main road, which is also a nice walk on a quiet street if you like that.. The rooms are very nice, and the area is quiet. Fine for family, and usually about 1200 online.

I've also stayed at the Federal. It's a bit further back on Soi 11, an older and smaller place. No free breakfast, but they do have a coffee shop. The rooms are smaller and definitely more sparse and simple... It's a rung down on the quality level, and usually higher or similar price to the nicer Royal Asia lodge.

Another good suggestion is the area is Majestic Suites on Suk Road near Soi 4. Small hotel, but very nice rooms, and they include a cafe breakfast...not buffet. The rooms are new and modern, and the staff is great. But it's often fully booked and also is close to Nana Plaza, which isn't exactly a family destination.

Of all of the above, my favorites for all reasons are Swiss Park and Royal Asia lodge. Swiss Park costs a bit more, but has free buffet breakfast. Royal Asia costs less..but has no breakfast. Hope that helps.

Much has been said about the Nana Hotel on Soi 4. I have friends from the US who like to stay there. I really have no idea why. My wife and I went to Bangkok to visit them and decided to stay there too. The man who worked at reception seemed aloof and rude. As we started to check in he wanted my passport. I never carry it with me and gave him my five year Thai drivers license. My wife gave him her Thai ID card. Not good enough! I did have a copy of my passport but I'm not going to beg to stay in a sh!t hole hotel. I told him never mind, we'll go across the street to the Dynasty. I sometimes stay at the Nana City Inn but thought we would try the Dynasty. We had no problems checking in. Our room was 1,450 baht per night. We were led to the building in back and found our room to be a little shoe box. I was quite disappointed and two days of that was two days too long. Certainly NOT worth 1,450 baht. Now I remember why I don't like Bangkok.

Just like to here your views as to a nice place to stay for my wife and i for around 1500 baht in the lower sukhumvit area in march next year?

Thanks

Mark

Baan Sukhumvit Inn Soi 20 real nice small hotel very clean, nice breakfast, dvd players in the rooms, free WiFi.

the customary thaivisa reply is majestic suites - a good hotel IMO given location, quality & price. from about B1350 a night iirc.

Pretty sure it's not available for under 1500, but if it is and you're considering it, don't stay at the ZENITH :o

a mate of mine stayed at the zenith - he said it was ok but nothing more. I assume you had a bad experience jackr?

Pretty sure it's not available for under 1500, but if it is and you're considering it, don't stay at the ZENITH :D

a mate of mine stayed at the zenith - he said it was ok but nothing more. I assume you had a bad experience jackr?

Yeah, bit frosty to say the least.

Was there couple years ago with my folks from the UK - very respectable bunch btw; well-dressed, well-mannered, etc, but on check-in, something didn't seem quite right. The management seemed to display a rather snobby persona and came across as if they weren't impressed that I had a Thai wife and luk krueng (I'm mid-30s, wife mid-late 20s). Kept us waiting for an hour in the lobby without explanation before we could have our pre-booked rooms.

Anyway, no great drama; checked-in, unpacked, up to the pool. Just about to jump in the pool and the guy stopped me because I was wearing Speedo swimming shorts as opposed to full-blown trunks. On politely pointing out that they were proper water-type shorts, he called the assistant manager who came up with four supervisors to explain that they didn't want people in their hotel pool with those type of shorts and that my family should go to Pattaya if I wanted to wear those types of shorts in a hotel - mother was not pleased at this remark. I was pretty embarrassed for Thailand at that point; the folks having traveled to many countries and stayed at numerous class establishments - this one being mid-range. I then pointed out that 90% of blokes had those type of shorts on, after which he started flapping and threatened to boot everyone out of the pool and said that if he didn't shut the pool the manager would sack him. <deleted>! A large crowd had gathered by this point, all totally bemused and all mostly wearing shorts and questioning the him... I thought he was going to jump off the roof he was so stressed. In the end he said, you all do what you want, I will get fired which is not your problem. :o

I have absolutely no problem if a hotel has this rule but if they don't make customers aware of it on booking then they have no leg to stand on. Apart from that, a very nice place with good rooms and location. Good breakfast, too. But I wouldn't recommend it and would never stay there again until I hear the management has been purged.

Thanks

Mark

I was in Bangkok last week and like to stay at the Manhattan Hotel Soi 15. Large clean lobby and nice buffet breakfast. Rooms are old and worn but clean.

Much has been said about the Nana Hotel on Soi 4. I have friends from the US who like to stay there. I really have no idea why. My wife and I went to Bangkok to visit them and decided to stay there too. The man who worked at reception seemed aloof and rude. As we started to check in he wanted my passport. I never carry it with me and gave him my five year Thai drivers license. My wife gave him her Thai ID card. Not good enough! I did have a copy of my passport but I'm not going to beg to stay in a sh!t hole hotel. I told him never mind, we'll go across the street to the Dynasty. I sometimes stay at the Nana City Inn but thought we would try the Dynasty. We had no problems checking in. Our room was 1,450 baht per night. We were led to the building in back and found our room to be a little shoe box. I was quite disappointed and two days of that was two days too long. Certainly NOT worth 1,450 baht. Now I remember why I don't like Bangkok.

Ditto! My last 3 times to Bangkok I went to the Nana because of it's ideal location. All 3 times, I was treated MOST rudely at the front dest and, hesitatingly, told that "all rooms are full-up." Of course, they would put me up at their second hotel waaayyyy down the Soi. I've stayed at the Crown, the Tai Pan, the Park, the Stable Lodge Inn, (Soi 8,) ..... but, all in all, the best value is the "Thai House Inn" (700 Baht per night,) on Soi 7. It is basic - no frills, but it is half of the cost of the (shoebox) hotel rooms and the staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. Hope this helps :o

if i had to stay (if Mrs Goshawk would allow me) in Sukhumvit then out of the 3 places i've used before...

Honey Hotel - soi 19 (old but OK if you avoid the ground floor)

Premier Inn - soi 20 (basic with windowless room)

Tai Pan - soi 23 (very nice but pricey)

I'd definately go with Tai Pan (bit more han 1500b though, worth the xtra)

Honey is ok though (close Asoke BTS)

Pretty sure it's not available for under 1500, but if it is and you're considering it, don't stay at the ZENITH :D

Yeah, bit frosty to say the least.

Was there couple years ago with my folks from the UK - very respectable bunch btw; well-dressed, well-mannered, etc, but on check-in, something didn't seem quite right. The management seemed to display a rather snobby persona and came across as if they weren't impressed that I had a Thai wife and luk krueng (I'm mid-30s, wife mid-late 20s). Kept us waiting for an hour in the lobby without explanation before we could have our pre-booked rooms.

Anyway, no great drama; checked-in, unpacked, up to the pool. Just about to jump in the pool and the guy stopped me because I was wearing Speedo swimming shorts as opposed to full-blown trunks. On politely pointing out that they were proper water-type shorts, he called the assistant manager who came up with four supervisors to explain that they didn't want people in their hotel pool with those type of shorts and that my family should go to Pattaya if I wanted to wear those types of shorts in a hotel - mother was not pleased at this remark. I was pretty embarrassed for Thailand at that point; the folks having traveled to many countries and stayed at numerous class establishments - this one being mid-range. I then pointed out that 90% of blokes had those type of shorts on, after which he started flapping and threatened to boot everyone out of the pool and said that if he didn't shut the pool the manager would sack him. <deleted>! A large crowd had gathered by this point, all totally bemused and all mostly wearing shorts and questioning the him... I thought he was going to jump off the roof he was so stressed. In the end he said, you all do what you want, I will get fired which is not your problem. :D

I have absolutely no problem if a hotel has this rule but if they don't make customers aware of it on booking then they have no leg to stand on. Apart from that, a very nice place with good rooms and location. Good breakfast, too. But I wouldn't recommend it and would never stay there again until I hear the management has been purged.

:D sorry for laughing, as I'm sure it wasn't too funny at the time but........<deleted>, some way to treat your guests. ''those shorts belong in pattaya''. :D:o

Edited by game4shame

A little bit more than you want but at B2000 /night its worthwhile.

room_10.jpg

http://www.bangkok.com/citadines/

Cheers

Citidines is part of the Sommerset/Ascott chain of hotels...it is their budget brand. Rooms are small and nothing fancy but reasonable price and centrally located. The Bangkok hotel is on Sukkie soi 16...not too far down from Asoke on the right side. I believe price also includes broaband internet connection. They are also building a hotel on Suk 11 that will open next year I think.

A little bit more than you want but at B2000 /night its worthwhile.

room_10.jpg

http://www.bangkok.com/citadines/

Cheers

Citidines is part of the Sommerset/Ascott chain of hotels...it is their budget brand. Rooms are small and nothing fancy but reasonable price and centrally located. The Bangkok hotel is on Sukkie soi 16...not too far down from Asoke on the right side. I believe price also includes broaband internet connection.

I think the rooms are 32m2 which is pretty a reasonable hotel room.

The pic I used is of their basic room. It had Plasma screen TV and DVD cleverly rail mounted so you can watch it in bed or the sitting area. It also has a small kitchinette. More like a small apartment than hotel room really.

Her indoors parents stayed there a couple of weeks ago so I got to have a look. For the price I was very impressed.

Cheers

Thanks

Mark

You certainly don't want to stay at the Nana Hotel with your wife. Go a bit further down Soi 4 to Omni Tower. It's a classier place, has all amenities and room rates are within your budget if you book with the ladies downstairs from the lobby (CDS Office ) and not with reception. You can call reception and ask to be put through.

It's quiet, has a great swimming pool, sauna, restaurant, etc.. I lived there for 2 years and enjoyed it. 5 mins to NANA BTS Skytrain and yes, just a few minutes to all the action if that's what you want.

Best of luck.

I'm staying at Citadines right now and wanted to give some feedback on this place. Overall it's great:

Good things:

Nice location - Soi 16, a realistic 5 mins walk to Asoke & next door to Foodland. Very quiet soi.

Modern rooms - good design, lighting, separate desk, comfortable sofa and bed, generous storage / cupboard space, flat screen tv/dvd, walk in shower, good size mirrors, wooden flooring, overall very stylish

Reasonable size room but the well designed layout gives a spacious feel

Kitchen equipment - hob, toaster, kettle etc everything provided

Small gym and pool - nothing amazing but nice to have

Excellent internet connection in-room included in price (LAN cable no wifi)

Nice lobby / reception - feels secure

Friendly / professional staff

Only a couple of negatives

No daily cleaning included in the standard price

I'm paying 2,100bht without cleaning and breakfast (booked on the day). This is more than i normally like to pay in BKK but for this price range it's still good value.

Overall more of an apartment feel than hotel and i would thoroughly recommend.

Thanks

Mark

Mark

Got two American friends who just came in yesterday, I'd recommended they stay at the Federal Hotel on Soi 11 Sukumvit.  Had lunch with them today, they're satisfied.  My sister, brother in law, and six more family stayed there off and on during a two month trip last December & January, same deal, no complaints.

Mac

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago only hotel i have stayed in where they never gave you Brekfast and complimentary water in the room.

Federal Hotel has a good location on Soi 11, and a small pool... But the hotel is pretty old/worn and for the same price you can do much better in the same area. Plus, that part of Soi 11 is undergoing piping construction right now, so traffic and noise are a mess.

For the same money, you can do much better at the Swiss Park nearby on Soi 11, the Royal Asia Lodge opposite on Soi 8, or the Majestic Suites on Suk Road between Sois 4 and 6. Swiss Park includes buffet breakfast, Royal Asia is less expensive but has no breakfast, and the Majestic includes a single dish cafe breakfast, but is much closer to the whole Nana area (for better or worse, depending on your tastes).

Under 1500 bhts. there ain't that many choices you want to have as 4500 bahts. Been reading this and it comes to circle that's only a few hotels on sukkie you could stay and where are you now OP? Got lost? Haven't heard since.

Hotel prices have skyrocketed in that area the past 5 years. In many cases double or triple so if someone quotes a price they got say 2 or 3 years ago the it will be way off the mark. 1500 baht buys little around here nowadays, pretty much borderline fleabag stuff. I think even the holiest of holes, the Miami is pushing 1K baht now, rats included in your loom. Ambassador was 1K walk in rate in '03, now that's pushing 3K. Glad I dont need hotels around here

My rec for the area is the Park Hotel, which is on Soi 7. It should be in the 1500-2000 range at this point but be forewarned! cockroaches infest the rooms and my buddy had a nice rat come to visit

Hotel prices have skyrocketed in that area the past 5 years. In many cases double or triple so if someone quotes a price they got say 2 or 3 years ago the it will be way off the mark. 1500 baht buys little around here nowadays, pretty much borderline fleabag stuff. I think even the holiest of holes, the Miami is pushing 1K baht now, rats included in your loom. Ambassador was 1K walk in rate in '03, now that's pushing 3K. Glad I dont need hotels around here

My rec for the area is the Park Hotel, which is on Soi 7. It should be in the 1500-2000 range at this point but be forewarned! cockroaches infest the rooms and my buddy had a nice rat come to visit

I stayed at the ambassador about this time last year - wasn't impressed at all.

IMO majestic suites is untouchable for location, price & quality in lower suk. book early though - almost no chance of a walk in.

Chatra court hotel, Sukhumvit soi 19, it's a bit far down the soi (on left past Honey hotel) in a small soi between Soi 19 and Soi 15, nice and quiet, about 250 meters to Asoke BTS, it's gone up to 1500 THB this year, (book through atsiam.com), big, apartment style rooms with kitchen area, bathroom with big bath, the guys there are great, good security, a lot of long term guests, only bad thing is the breakfasts which are very basic!