Day Trip From Bangkok

Sphere

I have some visitors from home coming to see me in Bangkok this October. Due to health restrictions for one visitor, I would like arrange day trips so that we could come back every evening to Bangkok. They have all been here before and seen most of the places around (Ayuthaya, Kanchanaburi, Chaam, Hua Hin, etc).

I would appreciate if someone could suggest some interesting day trips that are not on the well-beaten tourist track.

What about a drive to Korat and then on to Pimai ! There is nice old Khmer ruins in Pimai and a museum and a famous old banyan tree which covers a hug e area the size of a football field....well almost.......Pimai is a nice town with a market in the main street in the evening. Thi strip all up would probably be too much driving though unless you stay overnight.......which u could do in Korat......plenty of good hotels there. Waht is the problem health wise that u need to be back in Bangkok ?

Kaho Yai Nat Park is another choice. Ampawa district in Samut Songkram. Racthaburi......plenty of factories there for checking out...like cereamics and so on........theres lodas of places.

As Ned said, Khorat. Perhaps via Nakhon Nayok on the R305 then through Khao Yai NP.

Once through Khao Yai take a little paved road that runs along the park's northern perimeter that'll take you through some small villages and nice scenery. It will eventually bring out onto the R304 that has recently been widened and improved. From here up to Chokchai and then Khorat. A much nicer route than the R2 in my opinion but will take a full day from BKK to Khorat.

For a day trip that can have you back in Bangkok before the evening rush hour, there's a little known tourist place, a temple named Wat Pai Rong Wua on the Suphanburi-Kanchanaburi border. It has a massive sitting Buddha statue and has row upon row of smaller colourful ones behind it.

100 yards away also in the temple grounds is a garden with statues depicting Thais version of heII's atrocities. It's very gruesome so if your visitors are squeemish then miss out this part.

From the temple you can get to Suphanburi town very quickly.

Gazza

Thanks Ned & Gazza!

Wat Pai Rong Wua sounds very interesting and just what my friends would like. I think I would like to try out this route.

[Ned - One of the persons visiting is suffering from an extremely rare disorder and needs an IV injection to be administered every 24 hours by a qualified doctor. The vial needs to be in cold storage and its not possible too move it around easily in an ice box. I think it is safer to have this done in Bangkok as we would register at a local hospital and store the medication there on their arrival.]

Sphere, I see your point, sounds pretty serious. But an IV injection is pretty normal stuff for a doctor and the hospitals in the major centres are really very good in Thailand. Maybe your Bangkok Doctor could set up something for you in other locations if yo uneeded to get away a bit longer. For example, places like Hua Hin have very good facilities as do, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Udon Thani etc.

The Wat at Suphanburi sounds good and definitely worth the visit........its not far either.

Also you could visit the Floating market...even though it is touristy.....but in the area around there is beautiful fruit farming and many canals and also the bigriver Mae Klong that runs into the gulf. If you explore the area you will enjoy. The rose garden is probably worth a visit too. Again touristy but given the situation could be ok. Chok dii.