Avast Or Nod32

stats

Which Anti Virus You Prefer ?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use Avast for Workstation PC's but for Server's I use ClamAV becaus Avast for Server OS and E-Mail Server is very expensive!

Tested Nod32 several times but was never really satisfied.

For online scanning I use the free CureIT from Freedrweb.com which was onetime the only AV prog which was able to clean an infected system while all other, include Nod32 and Avast failed!

I also use Avast on my home computer and implementing it on all the office computers now. But like Reimer, I use ClamAV on our firewall server as a front line defense due to not being able to rely upon faculty/staff keeping up to date. Though with Avast, it updates its' virus database fairly well.

@Tywais & Reimar-

Don't you find ClamWin to be painfully slow? I use it only in situations when absolutely necessary, like portable applications.

If your server if just a home server and not used in the workplace, you can often just use Orca to modify the .msi installer file for the AV app and remove the 'must be workstation' restriction. I wouldn't agree with doing this on a business/production server, but asking a user to pay server anti virus prices for use on a home server is a bit much. I wonder if the software pricing schemes will be modified to accommodate Windows Home Server.

@Tywais & Reimar-

Don't you find ClamWin to be painfully slow? I use it only in situations when absolutely necessary, like portable applications.

If your server if just a home server and not used in the workplace, you can often just use Orca to modify the .msi installer file for the AV app and remove the 'must be workstation' restriction. I wouldn't agree with doing this on a business/production server, but asking a user to pay server anti virus prices for use on a home server is a bit much. I wonder if the software pricing schemes will be modified to accommodate Windows Home Server.

I don't know your system but I haven't any speed problems with ClamAV and beside of this on Server's ClamAV even runs faster as Avast for Server's!

Nod32 is a pain in the a*s on Server's like Symantec or Norton and even not free!

The update of the Virus Database on ClamAV is very fast and sometimes several times on a day. ClamAV compared with Avast on the same system with a lot infections, was one from a costumer, was showing that ClamAV even found 3 more infections than Avast. Ok that's sounds like very little but the point is that it found more! The scan process for a whole HDD or a whole system is a bit slower than Avst but I don't mind about that. Importand for me is the given security and that's good in both prog.

@Tywais & Reimar-

In my case I don't user ClamWin but Avast for local workstations. I use ClamAV linux server side plus SpamAssassin linked together through MailScanner for preemptive checking of incoming e-mail before it arrives to the users.

I voted nod32 as it seems to pick up more than vast4.7 did. But I don't just use 1, depends on the trojan or virus. I am currently using about 4 antivirus programs and 3 trojan programs. I have never seen 1 that can detect all virus or trojans. Worst lately is win32/autoit.ac & recycler virus I just can get rid of this recycler. Sorry bit off topic.

Err....

You can use Avast Home legally, NOD32 is either Panthip version or must be paid for. How can you compare them at all?

Why can't compare if we're legal owner of an license? Not everybody on this forum uses pirated software! :o

Latest News:

I decided to uninstall my Nod32 AV and Install the updated Avast Home on my Notebook. Did a boot scan using avast Home detected and deleted 3 Trojan virus located in Temp Internet Files ..... So im gonna stick to Avast for now :o

Err....

You can use Avast Home legally, NOD32 is either Panthip version or must be paid for. How can you compare them at all?

Why can't compare if we're legal owner of an license? Not everybody on this forum uses pirated software! :D

Perhaps Plus thinks we should only be comparing free AV software?

Anyway, never used NOD32, but have used Avast for years and am quite happy with it. I don't think I'd switch to a paid AV unless it were something remarkable.

Thanks for the online scanner tip :o

And Lindsay, I thought it could cause major issues to have more than one AV program running at the same time?

Err....

Why can't compare if we're legal owner of an license? Not everybody on this forum uses pirated software! :o

You can also compare apples and oranges if you want to.

Free AV should go against free, paid against paid.

There's Avast Pro to compare with Nod, but the poll doesn't specify that, does it?

Also you can get legal Nod if your Windows comes preinstalled, but it's still a paid version. Will you need another AV to go with that? I hope not.

Free Avast does a perfect job for me, personally, but Reimar runs a business, I expect him to spend some money on professional versions.

Which is the best AV to run on a server? Who knows, we are mostly personal users here.

I have used Avast Pro for the past few years and now changes to NOD32 pre installed with my windows . But would like to know other forum members about your experience using this 2 AV brand
There's Avast Pro to compare with Nod, but the poll doesn't specify that, does it?

It is specified in the OP which the poll is based on.

Plus:

You're right, I running a business and I spend a lot money for original Software and Licenses, all of my Business computers running with legal Software only!

But let me tell you something, the use of paid software compare to free software is nothing else but a question of relaibility and final the result. As I wrote before, Nod32 (a paid version not one coming with some hardware) never satisfied me and on Server it was a pain in the a*s!

Avast I used the free and the paid version for Server's which just cost a little as US$ 1,400 for a 3 year license.

Compared Avast with ClamAV show that the Free ClamAV is as good as Avast Paid Version and even can use for a Mail-Server while Avast you need an additional License for mail-server which cost as Little as US$ 1,200 for 3 years! That's a total of US$ 2,600 for a 3 years period for smething which is done same good for free!

What you want choose, let say you running a Business, the free or the paid version?

Just one more t5hings, the Avast Pro and the free version are the same, the pro is just for Business computers. If you compare both on the same computer, infect and clean once, you/ll find no difference!

Really? I haven't checked what the differences were, I always thought it had more to do with securing the whole network. I can't configure Avast on another computer remotely or I can't scan it with my Home edition, but I presume I could with the Pro.

Come to think of it, the main virus catching engine and database updates must be the same.

It is not unusual to find that a free solution works better than some commercial software.

So what do you vote for? Avast Pro or Avast Home?

I have never used Avast Pro and I don't know anyone who has (apart from the OP).

I used Avast Pro for a year. Decided to try Avast Home when the subscription expired and to be honest, haven't found any differences in abilities. The database updates, the engine updates are just as regular as the paid version. Combined with ClamAV on the firewall, have not seen any virus infections on our laboratory computers except when AVG was being used by some staff and they used flash/floppies brought in from outside.

We had two secretary machines that had an autorun virus on it (using AVG). When I had a file copied from their machine to my flash drive then put it in my computer, Avast caught it immediately. They have now all been switched over to Avast Home Edition.

This is a table of differences between Home and Pro, the differences are insignificant (IMHO) > http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html