What's The Worst

dee123

....I'll soon be on my way to Land of smilesfor my annual vacation(approx 3 months)but I'm deciding where to visit on my hols,.....I can say that I have visited previously Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket,Chaing Mai,Koh Samuii,Koh Samet,and know central Issan well,.......so the question is where should I go that I will find different from the above mentioned places and why,plus,perhaps and more importantly where to avoid. :o

Yes you should. Start with a late night raft from Kanchanaburi and spend overnite on a raft - a bit noisy due to other rafts music but very Thai - and then float back up in the morning along the coast of Burma and Thailand (very cheap) and take a bus to Erawan Waterfalls - 7 tiers of waterfall and very popular with Thais for picnics etc - gorgeous and fun to swim with the small crabs and sucking fish!!! Really Thai - enjoy

I have never been to the memorial sites but i am sure they are wonderful to remember the soldiers

...I think the sight of the allied graves would interest me more than anything,waterfalls and Thai picnics not so much as our house in Chaiyaphum is only ten minutes from Tad Ton National Park which I know like the back of my hand.

I agree, Kanchanaburi is a nice place. I've gone many times, but never seem to get tired of it. I haven't been to Mae Hon Song for quite a while, but it was interesting some years back as well.

Have a good time.

....I'll soon be on my way to Land of smilesfor my annual vacation(approx 3 months)but I'm deciding where to visit on my hols,.....I can say that I have visited previously Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket,Chaing Mai,Koh Samuii,Koh Samet,and know central Issan well,.......so the question is where should I go that I will find different from the above mentioned places and why,plus,perhaps and more importantly where to avoid. :o

Do everything again bar Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Samet, and central Issan :D

North

Chang Dao

Pai

Mae Hong Son

Middle

Ayuthaya is defo worth a look if you've never been - the Elephant Kraal is often overlooked here.

Si Sachanalai National Park, just north of Sukhothai, is pretty amazing.

Hellfire Pass, north of Kanchanaburi, if you're also doing Erewan.

Ang Thong National Park, in between Surat and Samui.

Bottom

Pha Nga Bay

Krabi

Phi Phi

Koh Tarutao NP, off Satun.

Well yes absolutely, why not go to the graves and don't forget that the pronounciation of River Kwai is Kwea (other posters might have a better transcription) in Thai Kwai means something else !!!

It's actually pronounced Kway, that's with a long "A" sound. The old movies years ago pronounced it Kwy as in a long "I".

....I'll soon be on my way to Land of smilesfor my annual vacation(approx 3 months)but I'm deciding where to visit on my hols,.....I can say that I have visited previously Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket,Chaing Mai,Koh Samuii,Koh Samet,and know central Issan well,.......so the question is where should I go that I will find different from the above mentioned places and why,plus,perhaps and more importantly where to avoid. :D
I've never been to bridge on the river kwai......should I take a look?

Well.. Yes, primarily because it's on the way to Sangkhlaburi, which would be a prime target for someone who's already seen/done the basics.

Furthermore, I submit the following: You've covered pretty much every region in Thailand, but that does not mean that you need to now find a different region per say; rather I think there's opportunities in each of those regions to explore deeper and further, beyond the level of a casual visitor. You mentioned you went for example to Chiang Mai: Chiang Mai is a huge province, with some very remote areas. I think you can explore beyond the 'basics' for each of the places you visited with the possible exceptioin of Samui and Samet: they are what they are. :o But even Phuket is a big place, worthy of another visit to further explore Phuket Town, Phuket Province and the surrounding area.

So, pick an area that you enjoyed and go dig dig digggg deeper.

And IMHO there are simply no places to avoid. Even places you don't like to spend too much time in can be very interesting to have seen at least once. Be flexible, don't make too many fixed plans, rent a vehicle.

Edited by chanchao

I've never been to bridge on the river kwai......should I take a look?

If you go there make sure you rent a car or something.

I went on one of those minivan trips that leave from khao san. Spent like 9 hours total driving around in an extremely sweaty van; it is hard to enjoy the sightseeing after 4 hours of swampass.

Hellfire Pass Museum is a must. You really have to see with your own eyes all the rock that they cut through. It really is a moving experience. On the way,you can stop by Sai Yok Waterfalls to cool off. There's also a hot spring (by a cold stream) in the area which is a good way to spend an afternoon.

once you get to Rayong....have a look around...Ko Chang...then keep going around the border areas Buriram, Surin etc...some historical temples etc...to be found. Head upto Nong Khai way and cut back in to Korat.

That should fill the holiday in just nicely

If you can, Hellfire pass on ANZAC Day is something everyone should witness once in their life.

If not ANZAC Day then not to worry (it is an Aussie thing) as the setup there is very good, audio commentry the whole way gives you a real insight into not only the ANZAC history but the Thai/Kanchanaburi/WWII history, well worth the effort.

Dinner in the place under the bridge in Kan is nice.

Hellfire Pass Museum is a must. You really have to see with your own eyes all the rock that they cut through. It really is a moving experience. On the way,you can stop by Sai Yok Waterfalls to cool off. There's also a hot spring (by a cold stream) in the area which is a good way to spend an afternoon.

I have to say, the Aussies do a fantastic job of maintaining the museum and the section of railroaod attached to it - I would go so far as to say it is the most well maintained piece of history in Thailand. They are to be commended for their work.

Well yes absolutely, why not go to the graves and don't forget that the pronounciation of River Kwai is Kwea (other posters might have a better transcription) in Thai Kwai means something else !!!

It's actually pronounced Kway, that's with a long "A" sound. The old movies years ago pronounced it Kwy as in a long "I".

It is more like Kwae with a long ae sound. If you pronounce it with a "y" at the end it means something different which is extremely rude! Don’t test it :o

Nan :o
The name of this thread should be changed. It was supposed to be about places to avoid, but it turned into recomended places to go. VERY confusing.

You're quite correct, I meant to infer that Nan is a really rustic and charming city well worth the effort to get there. :D

The name of this thread should be changed. It was supposed to be about places to avoid, but it turned into recomended places to go.

VERY confusing.

Dee, would you like the title changed to something else?

Khamphaeng Phet didn't have much going for it. And I've not heard many people recommend Tak for a day out.

Ah. How could I forget? Lopburi. Those monkeys are f*cking horrible. Samut Prakan is also probably best skipped (unless you've got a interest in the architecture of industrial estates).

Edited by HS Mauberley