I Got Cheated Today

george

Anyone who sets foot in S.E. Asia, let alone lives here long time :o , and says they've never been scammed or ripped off is either a liar or living in cloud cuckoo land.

At least you had the balls to tell about it and give us all a chuckle.

btw here there is a half million Dong, yes 500,000, note that is almost the same shade of blue as a 20,000. It is so similar that I've known Vietnamese people that have handed one over by mistake for a 20k. Rule #1 : when you get a 500,000 get rid of it pronto before starting out on the suds.

FYI 500,000VND = 30USD (approx) = 1000THB (approx) so we are talking similar amounts only difference is hereabouts there are no gogo bars, no girlie bars, in fact no frigging bars at all. But we manage, it's a tough posting but hel_l somebody's gotta do it. :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else got wrong charged?

~~~

Ever notice how a 100baht note and a 500baht note can look almost the same in dim light after a few drinks....?

Or...how 4+5 on a restaurant bill can equal 18?

Must be the poor education system here in the LOS.... :o

~~~

Edited by Totster

Take a 1000 baht note, write HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE! on the underside, give it to a Thai friend, have him buy something cheap presenting the note so she doesn't see the writing and leave. Walk in shortly after, buy something cheap, pay with a 100 baht note. When she comes back with the change, tell her YOU paid with a thousand baht note that says HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE! on the underside.

Brilliant

With all the scams happening around the place - and so many TV victims - I'm surprised thaivisainsurance hasn't developed a Scam Insurance Product. OK, the premiums would be a bit high but the whole idea has a certain symmetrical beauty, don't you think?

Well, another day in paradise! :D

Never mind.

Anyone else got wrong charged?

Erm, sad to say, 'Yes, George.' :o

This week. For the 1st time.

At my favourite Collection Pub. Paid 390 with a 1,000. Got change from 500. (This after I posted how good Thail;and is - but I still believe it is a brill place overall.)

Was kept waiting about as the accounts were resolving the matter. Got p*ssed off waiting. Gave them the middle finger, called them 'Kha Moey' (thieves) and walked out.

Spend 75,000 + a year in that place - or at least I did.

Now I refuse to go back unless they get in touch and give me my 500 back (and, yes, they have my number).

So either one fiddling girl or one thieving accounts man has deprived many of the girls some good tips.

No matter. Plenty other places to go :D

If you have to edit this for name of pub... OK :D

calling a mod a troll? is that asking for the death sentance?

Calling a mod isn't, but calling an Admin one has potential. :o:D

I can only remember being wrongly charged a couple of times, both were in my favour - they always seemed shocked but highly appreciative when I point out they returned too much. :D

Yes, twice. Two different bars. On both occasions I had only had one drink at the bar, didn't think much of the bar and decided to leave. Paid B1000 and got change for B100. As a poster suggested, it is a good idea to keep smaller notes, but there are occasions where you run out or simply don't have them to hand. I have found the solution to be that if it is not one of my regular watering holes and I have to hand over B1000 note, I make a habit of saying 'Sorry, only have pun' as I hand it over. On the second of these occasions I actually called the BiB (normal, not tourist) and waited for their arrival. Needless to say, a waste of time (as they sipped from their drinks provided by the same bar). Both occasions occurred within the last two years.

The other trick is to shove extra drink chits in your chock. I actually caught-out one person doing this in BKK many years ago. A normal bar (as in not a lady bar), but near a lady bar area. I had had one drink and ordered another and I noticed the barman slip two bills in the chock. I barked and he bolted. I always regret that I still paid for the drinks I had actually ordered.

All things considered, I haven't done too badly over the years. Perhaps it is starting to become more prevalent?

First time in my life! I went into a bar tonight near Khon Kaen, on my way to home. I had a few drinks and paid a few lady drinks. Handsome man :D

Bill was 370 Baht. I paid with a 1,000 Baht bill. 1 second later the waitress showed up a 100 Baht note which was hidden under the bill (I reckon) and pocketed my 1,000 Baht bill.

I was scammed. Had to pay it again. Total bill 1,370 baht for a few beers.

May they rot in hel_l. Som-nam-na farang!

Needless to say, I did not tip. :o

same scam happened to me in greece.

First time in my life! I went into a bar tonight near Khon Kaen, on my way to home. I had a few drinks and paid a few lady drinks. Handsome man :D

Bill was 370 Baht. I paid with a 1,000 Baht bill. 1 second later the waitress showed up a 100 Baht note which was hidden under the bill (I reckon) and pocketed my 1,000 Baht bill.

I was scammed. Had to pay it again. Total bill 1,370 baht for a few beers.

May they rot in hel_l. Som-nam-na farang!

Needless to say, I did not tip. :o

hmm - how is it if I put HEL L in a post, it gets removed / changed, but you get away with it?

This especially comes to light when it's used as a place name: Hel l's Kitchen, Hel l's Gate or Hel l in Norway....

Never wrong charged, but definitely scammed. Me and some mates were in a bar doing lots and lots of tequila shots and generally getting getting drunk and stupid, and buying shots for the girls the whole way, one for one. Late in the night another round was brought out and I reached in a grabbed a shot from the middle of the tray rather than wait to be served by the girls. I about shat myself when it tasted of water not booze. Turns out the bartender and the girls were working together, only pouring real booze for one out of every three shots for the girls, then pocketing the money and whacking it up later. Needless to say, the establishment lost several deep-pocketed regular customers, the girls lost a lot of "buy me drink" income and the word also got out to other regular customers that we knew. That joint's business went into the tank and never recovered.

This is common and I imagine it was not a matter of them wanting to scam you so much as them not wanting to get completely trashed. Lots of dudes won't buy them non alcoholic drinks, and most 100 pound chicks don't feel like drinking 15 shots every night.

Good observation and well said.

Take a 1000 baht note, write HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE! on the underside, give it to a Thai friend, have him buy something cheap presenting the note so she doesn't see the writing and leave. Walk in shortly after, buy something cheap, pay with a 100 baht note. When she comes back with the change, tell her YOU paid with a thousand baht note that says HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE! on the underside.

Brilliant

That is copyright from the 1973 film, Paper Moon. :o

Edited by katana

If you only had a check bin of 370bht,and you bought a FEW lady drinks and a FEW for yourself, you must of been in a bar in the 1970s,for 370bht you should only get, at most 3 drinks,but i am not disputing what you say,stranger things have happened, i am just saying you were a lucky guy to find such a cheap bar,as a matter of interest, how much is a bar fine .100bht,

at these prices i would go their often.

For future help. you should pay the bin after every 4 or 5 tickets.that way you can keep some kind of control.we all know that this scam goes on,and i bet most people reading your story have been their done that.i know i have. but you have to take it for what it is, and then move on.not all bars are the same,but if they can take you, they will.you got to love um.and it was only 1350 bht,imagine you stayed their all night.CHA-CHING, welcome to thailand.

If you've never been had in Thailand, than you haven't been here long enough. It happens to all of us every now and then. Amazing Thailand! It's best to laugh at and use it as a good story. In the end, pocket change really.

never happened and never will happen .

Maybe a good proportion of speaking Thai

well does help them scare of a bit .

Also helps not having to listen to their English ,

at least makes my night a bit better anyway :o

But I feel sorry for the OP , its not a nice night what

it should have been , still not understand you let it just

happen ifront your nose . I keep my thoughts for myself

on those saying it happens so now and then .......

If you only had a check bin of 370bht,and you bought a FEW lady drinks and a FEW for yourself, you must of been in a bar in the 1970s,for 370bht you should only get, at most 3 drinks,but i am not disputing what you say,stranger things have happened, i am just saying you were a lucky guy to find such a cheap bar,as a matter of interest, how much is a bar fine .100bht,

at these prices i would go their often.

Have you ever been to Isaan?

Let me assure you it's a lot cheaper than you think it is. The girls, the drink and of course the lady drinks :o

Edited by JimsKnight

If you've never been had in Thailand, than you haven't been here long enough. It happens to all of us every now and then. Amazing Thailand! It's best to laugh at and use it as a good story. In the end, pocket change really.

never happened and never will happen .

Probably has happened to you before in some way or fashion. Think back to the days before you spoke thai. Scams come in all forms too and are not always about money. Anybody can be scammed and those say they have never been or never will be are some of the easiest to scam. :o