Temples Suggestions In Bangkok For Family Visit

My sister and family will be visiting Thailand for the first time at the end of December and one of the things on their Bangkok itinerary is to visit some temples. I've lived in Thailand for some 5 years and have never toured the major temples. Well, I think I went to Wat Pra Kaew or something but I remember some tourist charge which disgusted me. I want to make it a point to avoid any such places if I can avoid so.

So, ideally in central/old Bkk-Thonburi.

Cheers!

all temples are free to thai and a 10 baht for foreigners.

the grand palace and wat phra kaew is a different matter - still worth every bath.

be aware that end of december is a very high season and the grand palace will be chock block packed - same goes for an accommodation

I've lived in Thailand for some 5 years and have never toured the major temples. Well, I think I went to Wat Pra Kaew or something but I remember some tourist charge which disgusted me.

I have lived in BKK for only one year, so I yield to your experience. But I am curious how you could manage to live in Thailand for that long without wandering into a temple occasionally. In my limited experience, temples don't charge admission. Period. In fact, if a farang (or anyone) is destitute, you can go there for a free meal and shelter. That is one of the many services that the Sangha provide to the people.

I paid the tab to visit Wat Pra Kaew a few times, and it is specatucular. Admission to the wat is free, you are paying to access the palace grounds.

With all that said, Wat PuKao Tong (Golden Temple) is nice (superb view of the city) and definitely FREE. Although it wouldn't hurt to slip a few baht into the donation box.

Disgusting is a bit of an over reaction don’t you think? All the entrance fees for the Grand Palace are used to restore the fantastic artwork and buildings, they don’t stay in good condition for free you know. Thai people often leave large donations as well which I doubt you see many tourists doing. If you don’t think this is a worthy cause then visiting such a fantastic place would probably wasted on you. It is worth every penny and to suggest your tourist friends don’t go there is silly. If you hire one of the offical guides then you wont have to pay the entrance fee and you will find the whole expirience much more worthwhile.

Edited by madjbs

Disgusting is a bit of an over reaction don’t you think? All the entrance fees for the Grand Palace are used to restore the fantastic artwork and buildings, they don’t stay in good condition for free you know. Thai people often leave large donations as well which I doubt you see many tourists doing. If you don’t think this is a worthy cause then visiting such a fantastic place would probably wasted on you. It is worth every penny and to suggest your tourist friends don’t go there is silly. If you hire one of the offical guides then you wont have to pay the entrance fee and you will find the whole expirience much more worthwhile.

I agree. The Thais own these things already and they are important cultural sites. I think Wat Po cost 20b, which is basically nothing.

Try to get into St Pauls Cathedral for that...£9.50 !