Strange Way To Sell Cars

aussieladdy

Decided to buy a Vigo 4x4, was all round dealers. Wanted leather seats, Toyota Pattaya wanted 35,000 to fit them. I suspected this to be a scam. Finally found a Toyota dealer not far from Pattaya who said the leather seats were included in the 872,000 price. I also ordered fake wood trim and a Top Up cover, both of which I would pay for. Lady dealer told me the pan liner would be free, and would throw in wind deflectors for the windows.

As I work away, I said I wanted the car on Jan 7th on my return. I was leaving Thailand in 3 days.

"Cannot, people go Happy New Year, Merry Xmas, not make car, January no good" said the girl( why are they all young girls selling cars here?).

"Ok," says I, "when can I have it?"

"Tomorrow", says she.

"Are you sure"? says I, "lot of work changing seats, fitting Top Up, wood trim, liner, wind deflectors etc."

"Sure, just give 20,000 baht deposit and bring Cashier Cheque tomorrow 3pm".

As she had no idea how much it would be for the Top Up, she said she would call me and tell me how much I needed to bring the cashier cheque for. Next day, no call, but she told gf that the car was delayed a little and would call at 11, then 12, then 1pm, then 2pm. Finally she fessed up that the leather seats were a problem and I should come and get the car anyway and get the seats later. I was so pissed off with the morning's events that I just told her to forget it and I would be along for my money back. At this she started crying to my gf and told her a huge sob story. Anyway, I stood my ground, even when she told me I had lost my deposit. Didn't really care by then.

Next thing, a flurry of calls to gf, who explained that the reason for the leather seat problem was my insistence on BLACK leather seats, which completely dumbfounded me as I wanted tan, same as the car interior. Anyway, was then told that there were plenty of tan seats which would be fitted by 1630 next day, would that be OK. Fair enough, let's give it a try.

Still feeling that something was not right, I arrived next day at 1530, and she was surprised to see me so early. More suspicions now. She told me she was giving me the wood trim free now, all around chrome free, this and that free, was starting to look like one big freebie. Did the money thing, car still not ready at 1630, she asked me to use their free internet system and drink coffee for a while. Finally the garage started closing down, and the car was ready. Sure was, gleamed like a diamond, everything as she said, chrome job was beautiful. Get picture taken etc. etc.

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING

Seats were not leather, just ordinary cloth covered (although good quality) Now gf blew up and got mad, told the girl she was lying too much, girl started crying again, please take the car tonight???

Anyway, I took it with a written promise that the leather seats would be fitted before I came back in January. Less than a week later, she called gf to say the seats were ready, could they please fit now, which they did. Same time, they fitted the top up, which apparently looks great according to gf.

Whole point of the story is that the girl lied all the way through to get a sale, was still lying when I collected the car, but now everyone is happy. Am I getting used to Thailand and it's strange ways of doing business?

In which case, is it time to leave?

Now how much did you pay for the leather?

By the way i can really recommend the Thaiyont Toyota dealer in Pattaya.. Coming from Highway 36 its the one on the left side of sukhumvit.

The service i got when i bought my 2 Toyota's there was great as well as the after service.

Paid 20.000 for full leather including the side panels off the doors.

I looked at leather on the Toyotas before I bought the Isuzu and they tried to jack up the price going by the on window stickers which say something like 725,000 then 55,000 then 780,000 with the 55k being for aircon, leather etc.

As for having dizzy little girls lying selling cars, well, they told me that they were not making blue ones (after confirming the order 3 weeks previously) and were making brown ones. I told her to grow up and stop making me out to be as stupid as she is.

Now how much did you pay for the leather?

By the way i can really recommend the Thaiyont Toyota dealer in Pattaya.. Coming from Highway 36 its the one on the left side of sukhumvit.

The service i got when i bought my 2 Toyota's there was great as well as the after service.

Paid 20.000 for full leather including the side panels off the doors.

Paid nothing for the leather. And the shop you mentioned wws the one who wanted 35,000 for the leather upgrade

You are whinging becouse a care sales person lied to get a sale, and you got "the wood trim free now, all around chrome free, this and that free, was starting to look like one big freebie" and still got your tan leather seats, only a week later.

Tell me, do you cry when you break a nail as well?

If that is all it takes to make you consider leaving, then perhaps Thailand, or anywhere else really is not for you. Go home and pad yourself with a good amount of cotton, becouse you really must be a sensitive feller :o:D

You are whinging becouse a care sales person lied to get a sale, and you got "the wood trim free now, all around chrome free, this and that free, was starting to look like one big freebie" and still got your tan leather seats, only a week later.

Tell me, do you cry when you break a nail as well?

If that is all it takes to make you consider leaving, then perhaps Thailand, or anywhere else really is not for you. Go home and pad yourself with a good amount of cotton, becouse you really must be a sensitive feller :o:D

Gimbo,

you are what makes Thaivisa so unique. Not reading the original post and twisting what you thought the content was to suit your own boring style. If you read the post, it states that everyone is happy now, so who was whinging?

I have always had good service from any toyota dealer I have used and i have used them in the north, south, east and west the service department has a universal system that is easy to undestand and track. Ford on the other hand has been a night mare from day one. Koh Samui Ford is so bad it would be funny if it wasn't so sad, and it does not get much better from there Surathani, Bkk, Hua Hin, :o

why would anyone want leather seats in this climate? Actually what I hate most is the slipping around you get on leather.

Be careful with any rear lids etc...some are of extremely dubious quality and you may wish you never had one fitted.

however I agree that most Thai businesses have absolutely NO IDEA when it comes to customer service - they will do anything rather than give you bad news or say no....what strikes me in particular is how they had you down for BLACK leather when you wanted TAN.....that kind of complete failure to note down anything really rankles with me and it happens ALL THE TIME...I've even experienced it with respect to medical treatment which could end up being dangerous.

I have to say that I am very happy with the service I have had with Toyota, from ordering to collection, and the aftersales service has been great.

Thats my experience.. maybe you got a bad apple.

totster :o

Gentlemen, I am sure that after sales service will be first class, Toyota are known worldwide for it. Original point was mainly about the way one garage tried to get extra money off me for what I knew was part of the top of the range price, and then the salesgirl's attempts to hold on to her sale, even though there was no way she could hide the fact she was unable to do what she said she could with the seats. As for the black leather seats, I haven't seen a Vigo or Fortuner with black, so where it came into the equation I do not know.

I am happy now, I am sure the lady is too. I didn't even want the car till January, now it is sitting idle at my house, but everything is cool.

My last new car that I bought, in the States, was maybe 1966 (a right hand drive Ford Consul Corsair four door GT). I gave up on new car dealers. Biggest bunch of liars on the planet, worse than the som tam vendors in Papua New Guinea. I would not have the patience to deal with them. I suggest y'all buy nearly new cars that are still under warranty.

And I would not bother to buy a car that I could not see in the flesh, right there on the dealer's lot. Tomorrow leads onto tomorrow, at a very petty pace.

I have to say that I am very happy with the service I have had with Toyota, from ordering to collection, and the aftersales service has been great.

totster :D

Gentlemen, I am sure that after sales service will be first class, Toyota are known worldwide for it. Original point was mainly about the way one garage tried to get extra money off me for what I knew was part of the top of the range price, and then the salesgirl's attempts to hold on to her sale, even though there was no way she could hide the fact she was unable to do what she said she could with the seats. As for the black leather seats, I haven't seen a Vigo or Fortuner with black, so where it came into the equation I do not know.

I am happy now, I am sure the lady is too. I didn't even want the car till January, now it is sitting idle at my house, but everything is cool.

so....where's your house then????? :o

Edited by wilko

My last new car that I bought, in the States, was maybe 1966 (a right hand drive Ford Consul Corsair four door GT). I gave up on new car dealers. Biggest bunch of liars on the planet, worse than the som tam vendors in Papua New Guinea. I would not have the patience to deal with them. I suggest y'all buy nearly new cars that are still under warranty.

And I would not bother to buy a car that I could not see in the flesh, right there on the dealer's lot. Tomorrow leads onto tomorrow, at a very petty pace.

Outside Thailand I would agree wholeheartedly but here, with 2nd hand prices nearly the same as new for young cars and the lack of maintenance from the Thais, I would probably only ever buy new.

Many of these "options" like tinted window film, alarm, or leather seats are after market, installed by the nearest garage, not by Toyota itself. The dealer is, of course, responsible for whatever promises they made, but there IS a third party involved, it looks like they tried their best, the OP had a spot of bad luck, that's all.

Leather seats can be cleaned and they do not absorb spilled coffee or Pepsi and mine are not slippery at all.

totster :D

Tan is the only color available as standard equipment on the thai vigo,.and like banks its not barclays or hsbc that are no good but the staff there you dealt with and had the problem,yes toyota as a company are very good,however as with ( almost ) all thai businesses there will be some questionable staff, :o

Many of these "options" like tinted window film, alarm, or leather seats are after market, installed by the nearest garage, not by Toyota itself. The dealer is, of course, responsible for whatever promises they made, but there IS a third party involved, it looks like they tried their best, the OP had a spot of bad luck, that's all.

Leather seats can be cleaned and they do not absorb spilled coffee or Pepsi and mine are not slippery at all.

yes ,and on the exclusive vigo and my navara its perforated and not prone to be hot,. :o

Outside Thailand I would agree wholeheartedly but here, with 2nd hand prices nearly the same as new for young cars and the lack of maintenance from the Thais, I would probably only ever buy new.

that was a rare car in the states wasnt it ? i had one in the uk ,quite a nice car,

The interior of my Vigo is beige and black.. I doubt that an other company did the job because i was waiting for it while i could see them doing it.

All at the Toyota dealership.

definatly not from toyota,( ask for the part number of the it ) it is sourced elsewhere,. i export leather,it is contracted, i see it too,.i tried to get it from toyota as i was told this a year ago, they actually got a set in and i queried why it wasnt in a toyota box, they under duress told me it was made in bkk , i now buy off the same factory,. i cant say for how much but a lot less than toyota wanted,.

So it was aftermarket service at Toyota garage, same same but different - it's not the vehicle as it comes off the factory floor.

Or maybe the "final assembly" does take place at the dealer's nowadays.

Ihave a better story than that, i went to nissan to order 20 sets of genuine rear light surrounds, they took a big deposit off me and when i went to colect they were also not in origoinal boxes but blatantly in another ( cheaper ) companys box,. this is true, i kicked up merry he11 and in the end got my money back but the manager was in on this and they went outside the dealership to buy these items, amazing thailand indeed,.

why would anyone want leather seats in this climate? Actually what I hate most is the slipping around you get on leather.

Be careful with any rear lids etc...some are of extremely dubious quality and you may wish you never had one fitted.

however I agree that most Thai businesses have absolutely NO IDEA when it comes to customer service - they will do anything rather than give you bad news or say no....what strikes me in particular is how they had you down for BLACK leather when you wanted TAN.....that kind of complete failure to note down anything really rankles with me and it happens ALL THE TIME...I've even experienced it with respect to medical treatment which could end up being dangerous.

Strange wilco .. actually leather IS the best in this climate.. i tend to sweat a bit on looong drives, & i HAD car with material seat covers.. which was.. bad memory ..leather keeps it nice & much cleaner, thanany other cover..

I don't sweat ...but I like to be held in place when I drive a car.

I hated the leather in any car I had - and that includes Connolly hide!

or put it another way....would you rather wear a fabric shirt or a leather one in Thailand???

Edited by wilko

My last new car that I bought, in the States, was maybe 1966 (a right hand drive Ford Consul Corsair four door GT).
that was a rare car in the states wasnt it ? i had one in the uk ,quite a nice car,

Yes, I bought it whilst looking at the Alfa Romeo Guilia saloon (red), and the salesman (whom I knew from the sports car club; his father was the dealer for decades) sold me on the red Corsair instead. Really a nice car, but I couldn't sell it on. A survivor of the Bataan death march managed to find a rural postman who had use for right hand drive. I traded in two convertibles (an Alpine A104 and a 1964 Corvair Spyder) to get the Corsair!

But we're off topic. New car salesmen sound as slippery in Thailand as they did in my 'old country.'

My last new car that I bought, in the States, was maybe 1966 (a right hand drive Ford Consul Corsair four door GT).

Yes, I bought it whilst looking at the Alfa Romeo Guilia saloon (red), and the salesman (whom I knew from the sports car club; his father was the dealer for decades) sold me on the red Corsair instead. Really a nice car, but I couldn't sell it on. A survivor of the Bataan death march managed to find a rural postman who had use for right hand drive. I traded in two convertibles (an Alpine A104 and a 1964 Corvair Spyder) to get the Corsair!

But we're off topic. New car salesmen sound as slippery in Thailand as they did in my 'old country.'

Thats funny, i had quite a lot of left hand drive cars in the uk ( amongst them a 58 Fi corvette ) i was always asked, ' dont you hate LHD ? " i always replied, no i find it handy for asking the way and posting letters !