Do I Need To Get Married?

LuckyLucas

Hi All, I asked something similar before but this is really what I need to know...

Do I need to get married to have my name on the birth certificate

I'm British and will there be different implications for dual nationality of I'm not officially married before the baby is born.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this

LL

Hi All, I asked something similar before but this is really what I need to know...

I'm British and will there be different implications for dual nationality of I'm not officially married before the baby is born.

LL

No you do not need to be married in order to have your name on the Birth Cert.

I would strongly advise the baby takes your surname.

Afterwards you can register the birth with the British Authorities. You can obtain all paperwork by going to the web site of the British Embassy :o

LL

The answer to your questions are here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105205 I think

I'm officially not married.. No problem whatsoever on the birth certificate.

For my country though (not British) they require that I recognize the baby BEFORE birth. I don;t think Britain requires this. But for any other nationality, check with your embassy before birth if there's anything you need to do.

Getting married first is a prerequisite, or at least used to be, for British fathers before the birth to enable the father to get hold of a British passport and British birth certificate. Went through all this a while back as had left the marriage til after the birth. Lots of extra paperwork and hassle.