Scuba Diving

fm2002

Planning on doing a scuba diving trip first part of January and trying to decide between Similan Islands or Ko Tarutao. Would like to hear from anybody who has been to both. Ability level is not a issue. I'm a Divemaster with many dives around Asia and elsewhere.

Haven't been to Ko Tarutao, but have been to Similan, Surin and Hin Daeng. Similan is more popular and when I was there, some reefs were off limits to help them regenerate from too much tourism. Surin and Hin Daeng are farther away from Phuket, probably don't see as much traffic as Similan, and generally offered more interesting dives (coral and fish life). Burma Banks are supposed to be very good as well.

I've been to Koh Lipe and Similan.

Similan dives are deeper, currents are stronger, and the best way is liveaboard.

On Lipeh you take a long tail boat anywhere you want to go and most shops (there are only a couple, anyway) are just one man operations.

There's a string of islands off Trat, but I don't think they are part of Tarutao, reportedly some of them are better than Similan.

Planning on doing a scuba diving trip first part of January and trying to decide between Similan Islands or Ko Tarutao. Would like to hear from anybody who has been to both. Ability level is not a issue. I'm a Divemaster with many dives around Asia and elsewhere.

similans in my opinion are nicer

more options on boats etc as well

I've been to Koh Lipe and Similan.

Similan dives are deeper, currents are stronger, and the best way is liveaboard.

On Lipeh you take a long tail boat anywhere you want to go and most shops (there are only a couple, anyway) are just one man operations.

There's a string of islands off Trat, but I don't think they are part of Tarutao, reportedly some of them are better than Similan.

Your the first one to reply that has been to both places. Reading between the lines it sounds like Similan is the better choice, but could you be more specific on what you think is the better location and why ? Appreciate your input !

I think your Andaman Choices can be summed up into A. a liveaboard to the Similans, 3 - 5 days around Similan Islands and north to Bon and Tachai. Or B. Hin Daeng/Muang - Ha Yai - Taratao - Phi Phi route liveaboard.

The latter offers more variety inc. King Cruiser wreck, and different reefs from pinnacles to sloping reefs. Similans offer huge schools of fish, and a concentration of excellent sites close together.

Liveaboard is the best way to go, as island hopping and scuba from long tails is time consuming and given the time of year, plain dangerous. Be aware that the Andaman can get very choppy very quickly, so strap on yer sea-legs.

Hope this helps.

Have been to both as well, but Similans wins hands down from Tarutao (not including Hin Daeng and Hin Muang which are liovely sites as well IMO).

Trips to Tarutao are not offered that often, but there are a few options, but personally I would choose a Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock and maybe Surin islands trip.

• 3 weeks later...